• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, I can't believe that nobody is getting excited about opening of deer season this weekend!!! Is anyone heading out? I haven't been deer hunting now for quite a few years and I have really missed it, so, I am taking my old orange Jerzees sweatshirt and BAR 7mm Mag. out of retirement this year and heading out! Pretty excited too! smile.gif Going hunting in Itasca County with my dad. He was having some problems with his knees and he really can't sit out in the cold for too long anymore, so him and I jacked up a pick-up camper 25' off the ground and put it up on Tamarack poles on our property for my dad to hunt in and for both of us to use as a deer camp! smirk.gif We entered that baby in L&M Supply's deer stand contest grin.gif. I can't wait for camp coffee and hot pizza straight out of the oven for lunch- ahhh, my eyes are almost burning already from all the grease and cigarette smoke in the air!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin

I can't go this year- I have a baby almost here. Bad timing on my part but a new little one around the house will be pretty cool though. I'm just bummed about missing my first season in 20 years frown.gif

Do you have a picture of that stand? You have got to be the winner of L & M's contest.

I hung up my 0-36 a few years ago, but I'll be doing a fish fry at a friends cabin on Saturday night. I hope to also have a taste of some fresh back straps as well. Plan on fishing Vermillion on Saturday while the kids sit in the stands. I'm on the verge of becoming a real grandpa.

Not getting excited about deer season? Dude, I've been excited for a month. grin.gifgrin.gif

I'll be up the Echo hunting country I poke around in all year getting pictures. That's one nice thing about roaming the woods taking nature photos. You're always scouting deer, too. grin.gif

All that cigarette and grease smoke in the air is one reason I generally avoid deer camp. I've had great times with rellies at a deer camp or two, but I'm basically a solitary hunter.

Probably I'll get up there Friday early afternoon and camp next to the pullover where I want to be. It's either that or get up at 3 a.m. and drive there on Saturday morning and hope no one gets there first. The Echo is a might popular route for the influx of hunters on opening weekend. Thins out in a hurry after that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm ready. Shot the rifle last week and put the Big Buddy stand up.

At one time we had a good sized hunting party, we've slowly split up and hunting hasn't been the same. Then along came a son. This'll be Jr's 5 season hunting with me, next year he'll be 12 and will be the hunter as I accompany him on the hunt.

i feel for you. a week and a half ago i fell and fractured my knee. i was in complete depression mode until the doc came back and told me that it broke on a non load bearing part of my knee and i would be able to walk with a brace. wont be climbing any stands, but i will be able to sit in a blind. that was the best news that i have had since my kids were born. plus, the benefits are no gutting or dragging for me this year. tongue.gif

I know it's getting late, but I have free (while they last) targets for sighting in your rifles. Found them in the back while cleaning.

They have 4 targets per sheet, each with 1 inch squares for easy adjustment measurements. Overall size is 24 X 36???

I'm cleaning and fixing up some shelving in my shop, so knock loudly on the door if my white Dodge truck is parked outside and I'll give you some.

Down Deep, I will post some photos next Monday when I get back! laugh.gif

Good Luck and be safe this weekend everyone!

Justin

Jimmy,

Congrats on the little one!! I had a buddy who used to keep a calendar with all the days blocked out when he'd keep away from the wife so that nine months later he wouldn't miss hunting openers, fishing openers, first ice, etc. All his kids were born in March and April or mid summer.

See the pic in the avatar to the left? That's my buddy Woodie from last year. Everyone likes a good deer hunting story, right?

I was posted on a field looking for a bonus doe, as I already took a smaller 8 pt. Windier than heck on the second weekend of the season. I heard a deer jump the fence to my right, so I look that way. Here comes a doe accross the field with 2 bucks chasing her. She came right at me and I dropped her at 50 yards. The bigger buck wouldn't leave her, as the little 7 pt kept trying to get close in on her, even though she had already expired. The 7 pt kept trying to get close, and Woodie kept chasing him off. After a 1/2 hour of this, and when the 7 pt was getting chased off again, I made my move and got out of my stand. I walked 100 yards away from the deer and then entered on to the field. Woodie was full of himself and wouldn't leave, even when I chucked an apple at him from about 40 yards. I then worked the bolt action on the 270 really loud and he grudgingly started to walk away. He jumped the fence and then he took his frustration out on brush as he walked away. All I have left was a great memory and a number of grainy photos from my cheap pocket digi camera.

Oh, and for those who are bound to ask, yes, I could have shot him and had another member of our party claim him, but we had a couple of young guys who had never shot a deer yet, and I wanted them to have the opportunity. THIS YEAR is different. He has been seen and he is now fair game. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to the season.

Good luck everyone.

Good luck with Woodie! cool.gif

Justin, good luck as well. I liked the picture but that might be as close as I want to get to that palace in the sky. crazy.gif Had any big winds there????

Steve, if you try that area I asked you about on Echo, let me know what you saw. Please? I know you've got to have something pinned down though.

I am headed to Emily to share the season with some old friends and the whole family is coming with. This might be the coolest deer camp I've been a part of in a long time. Not to mention as I was setting my stand, we found the left half of heavy 10 point shed about 30 yds away! smile.gif

I'm stoked!

Be safe!

Ev, great story.

Wanderer, I'll be in Mr. Monster's neighborhood, but it'll be touch and go as to whether I even see him. I'm a meat hunter, but we'll see. grin.gif

YO WANDERER!!!!

Yup, It's mighty windy here!!! That pickup camper doesn't move- even in hurricane force winds. It is X-Braced and cabled down tight enough to hold a battleship! smirk.gif Good luck this weekend, man!

Yeah, Ev, Thanks for the good story! I hope I will have a good story with some photos after this weekend!

Sounds to me like everybody is getting pretty excited! smile.gif

Justin

That's hilarious! My buddies are riding me hard for NOT staying away from the wife. Both bad planning and a good looking wife have ruined my season. Oh well- next year right?

I wish you all a safe hunt and shoot strait smirk.gif. And good luck out there as well.