• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have no idea of what to do: Late October fishing

Questor

I tried fishing the St. Croix near Stillwater this weekend after a lifetime of never doing any fishing after about the first week of October. Water temps are around 45 degrees and I had no idea of where to start looking for fish. I tried the river because my local lakes are probably turning over right now.

Can you give me a few clues on how to approach fishing at this time of year? Depths? Presentations? Types of locations (i.e., channels, structure, shallows, deepest depths, etc.)

Thanks.

Go shallow for now. We were down by prescott and had some luck with white bass. Marked a lot of fish though, just didn't have time to stay out long on Sunday. Lindy or a jig was working with fatheads.

Quote:

My advice, put away the boat & go diver hunting
smile.gif

Or Mallard... a few of the big orange feet curly tails are here! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

My dad and I went out to one of the best lakes in know in sconi and the lake surface was running 49-51. These are some tough temperatures. I was unable to find a thermocline with a very good graph, so the likelihood is that the lake is mixed top to bottom. When this starts, the fish can be stressed due to oxygen mixing throughout. We caught a few fish, but it was basically dead compared to normal.

Most of the hang it up advice ain't all bad.

According to my neighbor, who is a MN DNR fisheries manager and the person who told me most of the info I'm phoning in here, fish recover from this stressful period after a week or two and begin feeding normally again. Sometimes they even put a big feedbag on after the stressful time. I don't know because I've never wanted to fish when its 40 outside in a boat. I just know I've been skunked or close to skunked everytime I've encountered water temps from 46-52 or so...

You could try a deeper lake. Those typically stay in layers longer per my neighbor...

Just my two cents worth...

Spent the last few days fishing the Rum for smallies and had some dead times and some pretty good times. Water temps have fluctuated from 44 - 48 degrees over the past 4 days. River is about 18" - 2 ft high and running fast. Key has been to fish SLOW. We have used soft plastics - tried live bait but the plastics definately outfished the chubs/shiners. The fish we have found have been either tucked up tight to the bank near cover or at the first break toward deeper water.

Hope this helps - not sure if it transfers from one river to another.

Daze Off

Try some sandy flats between deep water sections. Something you can drift a bit. Maybe 50-110 plus yards. Jig n minnow or plastic. Slow is key and the absolute lightest jig you can feel bottom with. If the waters are high and fast try the lower island tips and toss up onto them. If there is weeds still on them tips thats even better.

Then there is always the deep turns and bends.

Questor, on the croix this time of year you can work shallower to deep from the bank to the first break. Look for forage, current breaks and humps or bars that might deflect the current. Try trolling stick baits to find the fish. Casting shoreline points and eddies can produce as well. When you get on em you can refine and use the jig and minnows if you want to get your hands wet. 6-10' is a good starting point and fish can be found right tight to the banks in some areas as well but that range should help to get you started.

Tunrevir~

Go by the Ford dam at the confluence of Minnehaha creek and cast a jig and spinner or a rattletrap over the sand and hang on because the big walleyes are hitting especially towards evening.