• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Location questions??

Dahitman44

I always have a tough time trying to figure out where to sit during gun season weekend. I want to explain a couple of spots to you.

My favorite spot his our "tripod" stand located in a "finger edge of a field. 75 percent of the area around me has woods around me. Not THICK THINK woods but decent woods.The field had corn on it this season. I small swamp is also visable there. I shot the buck I have on the wall in '03 out there -- he was following a hot doe about 8 am.

Another spot is in that woods a little ways. It has a watering hole near by, acorn trees and is a spot where a few main trails come together. We can see a lot maybe too much area to watch?

One stand is in a crp field with corn behind it. I don;t know why, but we never see deer in the corn behind that stand. We put a stand here because a 23 pointer and a 12 pointer came out of this crp a couple of years ago. We didn't have a stand here so a neighbor shot the 23-pointer.

We also have a stand just inside the woods near a main trail. There is corn out in the field here and a bedding area. I saw a NICE 14-16 pointer last year here, but an old guy that hunts with us always takes that spot, shoots small bucks and does and drives his wheeler right to his stand, scaring the big buck and doe last year, I would guess.

He was cancer and will not be out this season. He jopes to Muzzle load later.

Those are three of the better spots -- any thoughts?

there is also a stand near a big swamp and deer trail, but no food close by. There is also a stand in a sand pit withy a couple of very small swamps near and a stand near a sweet corn patch, some old bails and a very small section of woods.

Any thoughts to where I should sit opening morning, during the day and evening? Any thoughts, or should I play the wind more or less?

For opening morning I'd go where you know there are the most deer right now. After opening morning I'd mostly think close to thick cover would be best. I guess if you're only hunting trophy bucks you might want to start there anyway.

Come on guys -- I need more.

I can never decide -- Do you think they will be bedding in the CRP or going out into a cut corn field?

During the day would it be better to be in the woods?

I never hunt during the day -- my BIGGEST problem. Want tio try it this year.

Where?

I have heard the biggest bucks are shot between 10 am and 2 pm -- I want to try it out.

But where?

Get in the woods in the thick stuff and wait. They'll be there when all your neighbors start thrashing around. CRP?...maybe, cut corn? No way.

Seriously???

Tell me what your second choice would have been and I'll sit there and give you a report! grin.gifgrin.gif

Sounds like a dream world or a very well managed property. With the rut kicking up the way it is I would pick a spot inside the woods around a mast feeding area for the evening. But I would have to say I would camp out for the first three quarters of the day down wind of the best bedding area.

The big bucks patrol those areas throughout the day looking for the hot does.

Good--Luck?

smile.gif

If you know where the majority of the does are, then that is the area that I would hunt if the rut is in full swing. If the rut isnt going full tilt and you have many hunters in this area, then I would get closer in a funnel area near the thicker cover.

I would also make sure that I am in the stand all for noon, reason being is that the majority of the hunter get cold and go back to warm up or have a snack. Dess warm and layer, eat a good breakfast and stay on the stand as long as you can.

Yep.. rut seems to be starting.. follow the Women!!! I think the dudes will show up sometime!

HL --

Do you also believe that some of the best bucks of the year travel between 10 am and 2 p.m.? I have been reading that for years -- thought I would check.

I have nothing to prove what I'm going to say but here goes from the expierence I have learned over the years.

Yes, I do believe that the bigger boys will travel somewhat more during this time. With that being said, I also believe that when the rut is in full swing, all bucks are running hard to find those hot does.

Approx 7 or so years ago, I was rifle hunting on a field edge surronded by woods and approx 150 acres of harvested corn. From noon to 2pm that day, I saw 13 quality bucks in that field. Very few were running does but looking in different areas of the woods along the corn field.

Sounds like a nice place to hunt, need some one to replace the old timer? LOL IMO Big bucks are shot during these times because 1) once mature bucks start hearing the guns and smelling humans, they stay bedded down, or in heavy cover, eventually they have to move to eat, or drink, and feel safe in mid day because the shooting slows down (hunters going in for lunch) 2) if you sit long enough on stand in a heavy cover area, bucks get up and in my experience, I have seen them get up 50 yards from my stand and they were there all morning. ESPECIALLY if there is a food source like acorns in the woods, a mature buck has no reason to expose himself in the field, except if he is moved by a hunter, (sight or smell) You have to wait them out.

3)opening morning is the best time to get a big buck that you have patterned 4) monster bucks, believe it or not can control their rutting urge right now smaller bucks are chasing does, the mature bucks know it isn't time yet thou they may chase in deep woods or heavy cover, 3 years ago i hunted in a little valley near iowa, there were hot does running around and numerous bucks fighting, (I could smell the estrous in the air) and chasing does. I sat and watched, but none of these bucks i wanted to take, (and we were full on doe tags) as most were 2 1/2 year old deer. It was cold that day, I couldn't sit any longer so i decided to head out. There is an old homestead on the property, had to pee so i start walking up closer to the house to whiz, as not to scent up the area with my human pee. I hit the tall grass about 10 yrds from the house, about 5 steps in, a monster non typical (only 2nd non typ live wild deer I have seen) bolts out of the grass RIGHT next to the house. I'm so shocked I can't even get my gun up, and when i did, he ran right around the house and kept going. Anyway this deer was down wind of me, could he smell me? I think so. He could smell the hot does i am sure, IMO he knew there was danger, and picked the dumbest (to humans) place to hide, honestly, who looks for deer right next to an old house? Well I do now! think about it this mature old buck laid right next to the house, he didn't have to worry about anything sneaking up on him from behind, and could see anything coming. Sometimes you almost have to step on them to get them up. I have seen bucks do this more and more, bed down right behind a house, barn, old piece of machinary, corn crib etc, the structure makes them feel safe. heck last year there was a 10 pointer bedded in someone's backyard right in Mantorville! of the places you mentioned, depending on the weather, I would get to stand early and more than likely take the old guy's spot inside the woods near the main trail, or plan to sit in the tripod stand a while. good luck, I can't wait to break out the heavy artillery.

I think any of the 3 could be good. Like said earlier hunt wherever you feel will be ladies night! Last night I had a doe come out on the trail beneath my stand. With a grunting buck on her trail. Pick one of the spots and go with it. Honestly the Wind would be one of my deciding factors if you 3 spots to choose one.

Great story I enjoyed it a lot.

Got my juices flowing -- Now i need to sight in the guns.

Sweet.

Thanks

Hit

Not just the biggest bucks but all bucks will travel pretty much non stop during the chase/search phase leading up to the actual rut. That is the time to sit in funnels and neck down areas. Also during the breeding phase once a buck breeds a doe, he doesn't stick around to chat, he's on the move looking for the next receptive doe, again this could be any time day or night.

One example, the biggest buck ever taken by our group was shot at 2:15 in the afternoon by my dad. I was actually in my truck eating a sandwich when I looked up and saw him walking across a picked bean field about 200 yards wide. He entered the woods and walked right by my dad who was sitting a a funnel area.

Depending on how pressured your land and adjacent land is during gun season plays a huge role in the deer activity however. Once a mature buck catches a whiff or gets bumped once all bets are off. If it were me I'd get right in the woods opening morning and find a funnel area like a saddle or depression and wait it out. After that assumed he is going into safe mode and look for the thick stuff. A swamp is always a good bet, especially if there is an area of dry ground... Bucks put on alot of miles this time of year, that buck could be 3 miles away tomorrow and be right back the next morning, good thing about that is all the other bucks are doing the same thing.

Fencelines, and any travel areas. I'd go with the open crp field if the rut is in full gear, or if the big swamp has some nice open grass. One place we hunt doesn't have any bucks on it until the rut is on. For instance before our zone had the straight 9 days, the Last day Tuesday, was cold clear and not hardley a breath of wind, drove around a little, see two deer in the wide open crp. Hmm looks like a buckand doe, they go into the small thicket and then we end up driving it. Long story short, i miss a big buck, and if i would of been sitting in my stand i would of had him standing at 100yds, so, sit in the big wide grassy areas in the mornings, cause that is where the big ones seem to be chasing the does around, oh and they do hang out there all day to, some have bedded out infront of the stand and all you gotta do is sneak up to them.

Hunter Lee --

So you think the CRP field would be the best?

Tough thing about that spot is there are low spots I can't see and I know that is were they will be.