• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slug question...

Hoffer

Hey guys, I am deer hunting this year with my 14 year old. I am going to let him use my Winchester 270, and I will hunt next to him with my Remington 870. My question may sound a little "dumb" - but I have never hunted with slugs befoe. Can I shoot slugs through my regular 12 gauge barrel?? Do I need to use any particular kind of slug for this?? Also, since I will not have a scope - should I simply aim on target as I normally would from say 50 yards and in?? I hope to shoot a few rounds before hand to sight things in, but I am just wondering where to start...my main goal is to have my son shoot his first deer - I am just using the 12 gauge/slug as a back up in case the opportunity comes up. I most likely wont take any shot that is over 50 yards...but first and foremost I just want to make sure what kind of round I should be firing?? Last, will shooting a half dozen rounds through my 12 gauge barrel harm anything?? Or would I simply be better spending the 100 bucks on a seprate rifled barrel for the 870?? Thanks much for your advice.

This question gets asked alot, and there are some answers in the deer-bear-moose section...

Anyway, I took my son to the range today. We have 2 870's, one with a smooth bore, and one with a rifled barrel and a scope.

I go on the cheap, so I bought some KO's which you can use in either, and some winchester X's which are rifled for the smooth bore.

Our grouping was very satisfactory with the rifled barrel and KO's, I had a couple other brenneke magnum something or others, but the KO's worked just as well. three in a 3 inch grouping in the colored center of the target at 50 yards.

The smooth bore was less satisfactory. The winchesters seem to shoot much better. My son couldn't hardly even hit the paper, which is probably 16" by 24", with the KO's. I put my bead about 4 inches high at 50 yards with the smooth bore and the winchesters and got a 3 or 4 inch grouping a little high and left... but a killing shot either way.

I don't think I'd try the open site smooth bore at more than 50, although i've heard plenty of people successful at 70 or 80 yards, and even some at 100... but I won't go more than 50.

I tried the rifled barrel and scope at 100 yards with the KO's, and hit the colored center aiming only 1 inch high. But I shake a little and had trouble getting any sort of decent grouping at that distance. I think i'd be about 50/50 to put a killing shot, but 100% to hit the deer... I'll probably limit my scope/rifled barrel shots to 75 yards to be safe.

If you want to spend $10 a box, you'll probably get more range.

If you have the money, I'd go get the rifled barrel and scope. I got it on special last year at Fleet Farm for $160, but I see they want $239 right now.

Be careful not to shoot sabot's out of your smooth bore... I have heard they'll tumble. And I believe that's how I lost one 2 years ago... That's also why I went and purchased a rifled barrel and scope. IT just gives you a much better grouping and more confidence... and if you're sitting there with your son, and he's on a trophy buck, his smile and jubilation will be worth the extra $$$ imo.

Just be sure to use a improved cyclinder or skeet cylinder on your chokes if your running a smooth bore.

Good luck

My buddy uses the 870 and shot a deer in the butt with it last year. My gun was useless over 40 yards. I invested in the rifled barrel this year with the scope (I shoot a Mossberg 535 ). I hope to have more luck this year with it. That slug wasn't anywhere near the mark after about 30 yards.

I hunt in the slug area and the only slug I'll ever shoot is the remington 2 3/4 inch 1oz slugger out of my 870 wingmaster. I don't have a slug barrel but would recommend using a improved cylinder. The 2 3/4 seem to group better than the 3 inch of this brand also.

I've had the same experience with the 2 3/4 vs. 3 inch. They always grouped better for me. And I've always had the best luck with Brenneke's out of a smooth bore. Just my experience.

PRACTICE! And try several different loads. Don't hope that the one good hit on the target will magically happen when it turns into a deer. Trophy of a lifetime or not for your kid, a bad hit and a lost deer for his first experience is no good. If you're not prepared for this year maybe you should consider waiting till the next.

Our youngest daughter wants to bow hunt. We borrowed the neighbors jr bow and she is practicing. Making some good hits-at times-too. I told her straight up 2 months ago that she would NOT be hunting this year. She needs more time. She needs to be more comfortable.

My tone isn't angry writing this so don't take offense but the time to prep a youngster for hunting starts well before the season opens. In my opinion. PRACTICE. INVEST. PRACTICE.

Hi guys...

Thanks for the info!! I am letting my son take my 270 - so that is all dialed in and ready to go. i am just using my shotgun as a "backup" to have just in case. i dont really plan on firing it - I hope my son gets a deer - and we only want one - but in case I do fire some rounds through the shotgun I wanted to know if I needed anything special. What I may do is just go buy a rifled barrel - and then i wont have to worry about my remington 870. It is a ducks unlimited gun - won at a DU event - and has never had a shot fired out of it yet...so I didnt want to do any harm with shooting some slugs through it...thanks again!

It won't harm it at all... but if you're ever going to buy a rifled barrel, they only go up in price... steel isn't going to get any cheaper.