• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

20 ga steel recomendations

gonna shoot a 3" double twenty this weekend any suggetions as to what shot size, I will de hunting over decoys.

i hear there a few divers around but likley mallards, Teal and a few Woodies. I'm all ears normaly i would shoot threes or fours but have never used a 20 ga for waterfowl before

4 shot is fine for teal and woodies, but once you start shooting the big mallards and divers, i'd go with a 1 or a 2 shot at least. I shoot a 12 guage, and sometimes have trouble bringing down ringnecks with 2 and 4 shot. This time of year i use 1 shot or BB, BBB they bring them down real nice.

Jr. shoots his little 20 with good success at ducks. He is shooting 3" in 4's for the divers over decoys, and uses 2's for the mallards. Even whacked a goose last year with a load of 2 shot to the head.

The Federal Premiums in 4 shot get most of the work. He alternates between Modified and IC depending on how close the birds are working.

When I used my 20 I would usually use 3's pretty much all around. I did have some 1's that I would put in for geese, but 1's were hard to find. I think 3's were the smallest I ever used. Now I shoot my 12 more, and go figure, I like 3's the best smile.gif I got a light-modified choke this year and really like it. Worked good over decoys, and even connected on some farther mallard shots as well. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to sign on with all that ballistic stuff 1 2 shot untill my sons started hunting with 20 guage a few years ago and they are both excellent shots fro age 10 on to the tune that my brothers and hunting buddies did't want to hu nt around them cause they got shown up. All I could ever find for those guns then were 3 in #4 shot and they cold rolled malleards blubils and the ocasioal goose ot to 40 yards. I changed to 4 shot also and have never looked back All of my hunting partners now hunt using 4 shot 3 inch shells because they saw it worked... still with more pellets in the air and greater pentetration of smaller shot ..