• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone Going Out For Full Moon?

Shack

Lining things up to head to the pond to night or Friday!

Man it is almost a sin to miss tonight! Nice weather, no wind and fullest moon in years!

My fishing partner is working his end and I have cleared my end. When one gets home from work and has that first beer, it seems like a lot of work! But! It really is not!

Plans would be west side, trolling until we mark good amounts of fish and then lighted floats with fat heads! Try this until bite slows and troll some more!

I'm gonna be out on Saturday evening...probably going out of Garrison or Eddy's. maybe getting out around 5pm or so.

I'll have the radio on scan unless you have a certain channel you use.

i just got back about an hour ago. we put in at eddy's and started fishing at about 4:30, or my buddy did. i thought it was too early...after laying a track down, i started putzing in the boat and i let my buddy drive & fish. ten minutes later he had a 28-1/4" in the boat! we thought wow! this is REALLY going to be a great night...haha. how many times...? we fished until about 12:30. what a beautiful night it was! my buddy caught a 17" & 15-1/2" also. i caught a 24" & a 16-1/2". we both caught 4 perch. they were all non-keepers between 8" & 9". the 28 was caught on a stick rapala, firetiger 11. three others were caught on SSR7 firetiger. one was caught on a perch SSR5. all were from 3.5' to about 6.4'. i tried speeds from 1.0 to 1.6 mph. mostly we were at 1.2-1.3 mph. it seemed like weeds started just a little deeper than 4'. we tried running at 4' and a little less for some time, and we tried a little deeper in the weeds. there were also smalls rocks on our track, but the walleyes we got seemed to be in a little weeder water.

im going out again on saturday night with my brother and his brother-in-law. hope its a nice as tonight was. it will be the first time ive trolled with three people in the boat. im a little anxious/nervous but if its too hard, ill just drive and watch. its just about as fun watching someone catch a nice walleye.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Good luck, post your results. Do you have reels with line counters??? This would help eliminate tangles.

MNTuff,

Great post!

I am going to run the same area as you did! I am taking Broch’s advice and going to hit Eddy’s up! The way some of the public’s are right now, I figure get up and get out!

I am bringing my boys up with me, so they should have a blast!

Rodmaker had a good point about line counters, but planner boards could also be a great option! I will be running some tonight!

Good luck!

Good luck, if you have line counter reels I would think that would be easier??

For fishing in the 3-8 ft depths ,you would be running your lines anywhere from 40-75 ft behind the boat. Depending on lures. Don't be afraid to run Shallow Shad Raps size 5 & 7 if they don't want Husky Jerks.

Good luck. Post results!!! and photos. It's nice to see those Piggys!!! grin.gif

Everyone in our boat has line counters......it really helps!! I wish I had a backup pole with a line counter on it in case i break off, but oh well. they are really nice though. We are heading up to the south side tonight. I will report tomorrow.

I was out last night.

Trolled Indian point from 7-11:00. Weather seemed nice when I left but the wind picked up a tad and when we left there was only 1 other boat out there.

We boated 1 28 incher and missed twice. Be careful if you troll on the north side of the point up close to shore (can be pretty good there) but there are some gill nets that you will NOT see until it is to late. It made me feel real good to release that fish 200 yards from a gill net.

I do not know what to say! I am speech less!

Got to Eddy’s around 5:00 and got boat ready! I kid you not, but when we pulled in the Eddy's parking lot, the lake was very manageable! Half ways threw getting boat ready, all heck broke loose. White caps, wind and a front moving in! 3 or 4 guys with boats turned around in parking lot, sat there for awhile and pulled away! Me and the kids went down on the dock and had a hard time holding our selves straight! As we sat there, more and more boats started to come in! No one could believe how the weather turn so quick, in a matter of minutes. This is Mille Lacs! Some guys in a larger new Warrior, launch boat and loaded right back up! It was nuts!

We ended up launching, figuring it would calm down, but it got worse! My six year old started to panic bad and I turned around and we loaded up. Even loading in wind was hard, but a couple of good guys (One was a CO) helped and we loaded her up.

My second trip to Mille Lacs this fall and still have not been able to fish yet.

We will see what Sat. holds! Should of went last night!

I am sure the East side over at Appledorns had to of been better!

Shack,

Not much better over here. It's manageable in the bay, but got around Big Point and it got really ugly. Figured there would be other nights...turned around and pulled the boat out frown.gif

Thats good to hear Paul, we almost drove over!

I felt bad for some of the guys who drove from south of the cities I talked to! Thats a lot of gas money!

I am out $20 bucks in gas, those guys could be out over a $100, pulling the big rigs!

In the end, its Mille Lacs! When she does not want you on her, she kicks you off! grin.gif

im trying again tomorrow night from eddy's. that must have been really something be out when that front came thru.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I watched the 5 pm weather after getting off the lake down here. Said wind kicked up to 38 mph from the north up there! Looks like it should be much better tomorrow.

I have seen bigger waves on Mille Lacs before, but the wind was blowing like it was ice time! Was not that cold, but blowing like the dickens!

All you could do is trimmer way up and send bow to the sky!

Plows right threw them waves! Can not go fast, but you can go!

It almost put a end to trolling with trolling motor! Mine is a 12v Minnkota Power Drive 45-50 pound thrust (I think) and pulls my boat pretty good! Tonight it barely was able to keep me in place, let alone move us forward with the wind! Big slow rollers are one thing! They are kind of fun at times! But the fast wind, coupled by the fast whitecappy waves, just sucks all the way around!

Plus this front gave the lake a look like the lake was mean or angry! Dark, dark, grays and blues! The water looked green, with white carps every where! It had a nasty look! The kind of look that had you saying ”No Thanks”!

Loading the boat back up did not seem like a bad idea, when my kid was talking me into it!

I got home about 4:15 pm and the lake was calm as can be. I grab a beer sit down on the deck and bam the wind starts blowing. Like shackbash said the waves were not that big but the wind had that don't mess with me feeling that if can give you in the fall on the big lake. I think you all make a wise choice to say off the lake last night.

It is 8:30 am and I am looking at the lake right now and see looks ok. Light west wind with VERY small rollers. Lets see how the day shapes up.

Ya, we hit the southern/western area around 4:15 or so right before we stopped and had dinner! My oldest son said "dad its foggy out on the lake", I said "no, it just dead calm and the water and the horizon meet and you do not know where which on ends". It was dead calm, before the storm! grin.gif

I am thinking of heading up right now! I have to wait for my wife to get home, but boats still hooked up and everything is ready to go!

I hope you made it out! About 9:30m the wind started picking up again and I thought here we go again but that only lasted a few hours and the lake looks like she is settling down for a nice night on the lake. Not calm but steady 5-6 mph winds out of the NNW. Good luck!

We went out of Fishermen's Wharf last night around 9:15ish I beleive. We went out to Big Point. We fished for close to an hour I would say and my dad brought in a real big walleye that flopped off the hook right as the net went into the water. That was on a original rainbow rap. Probably an hour later I caught a 22 1/2 on a blue and red X-rap. Then probably another hour later my brother reeled in a 19 on a rainbow tail-dancer. Then around 12:30 my dad caught a 21 I think on the same original rainbow. We made a few more passes but werent getting much to go for us, so we were off the lake by 1:15. All the fish we caught were in 6-8 ft of water. Sorry for you speed guys, I didnt watch it too closly. We were going into the wind so we had to snoose it up a little bit and with the wind pushing us the other way I think we might have been going a tidge too fast but I hope thats not the reason fishing was slow for us. The wind wasn't TOO bad, but out around Big Point to the north it was kind of hard to manage, so im not sure if there was anything out here we were missing, so we ended up sticking more to the south side of Big Point. Thats where we caught all four of our fish anyhow. It was a slow night. I'm glad we made the trip, but was hoping for a bit more action.

FishorGolf,

I never did make it out that Sat. night. My wife came home from a trip last week and I got suckered into staying home!