• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Extreme Depression for a Duck Hunter

swedishpimple

Today is the day I would normally leave with my hunting party to Lake of the Woods for the best diver hunting in the world. Here I am at "work" when they are most like dropping the boats in the lake as we speak.

Missing a trip sucks...a lot....I am missing it because we are having a baby any day now. I hope that helps...but it still sucks. I really feel for the guys in Iraq who miss all kinds of things like this.

How many of you have felt depressed from missing trips???

There is always next year and thanks again to you Veterans that did what you did, so I can sit here and safely and freely complain. frown.gif

3 years ago when our second was born, due in December - A week before I was to head up north Deer hunting, the DR. tells us it could be any day now.....She was born December 2nd.

Missing a trip sucks no matter how you look at it.

DL

I can empathize with you gents. I have had to skip a few trips because of kid type activities but there's a balance there somewhere. Just think, in 10 years you'll be bringing your kid with you on the diver dream hunt. Mine are still little (2 and 4) but I'm already looking forwrd to sharing my love of hunting with them. That said, when mamma told me she wanted babies I told her no problem but that they would be late winter/spring babies. I can't imagine most people think that far out when they are planning things though.

Good luck with the new little one.

I hear you man....I'm in the same boat...I had a trip to Iowa planned this year to hunt the shotgun season down there in December.....then I went and got the wife pregnant on St Pattys day (I won't tell you how I know it was that night - dang green bear anyway!)...she's due right when my hunt was planned for. blush.gifblush.gif Oh well...change of plans...I'll just have to wait a year. We've been married for 6 years and had planned on starting to try in May so it wasn't like slipping one past the goalie was a bad thing on St Pattys day.

Since I met my wife I told her that our "rut" for breeding was from May-July. Then when she did get pregnant the baby would be born between February and April....no hunting seasons would be interrupted (including spring turkey) I guess our "rut" came early this year. grin.gif

I feel ya swedish. As we speak, my dad is out pheasant hunting and I am working in his office.

I am in the same boat. The boss is due on 10/31. She made me stay home last weekend. I am TELLING her I am going hunting on Sunday with HugoBox! Just kidding. I am going to beg her to let me go on Sunday and I know she is not going to let me go very far or for very long - if she lets me go at all. In a few years these kids will be old enough to go with me.

At least you guys have good reasons for missing trips. I skipped two NoDak trips due to "deadlines at work" two years in a row... well, the stupid company no longer exists... so unless for a wife or kids, I strongly urge anybody to not skip trips for any work issues. Work will always be there, and most likely you won't even remember why you skipped a trip, but you will remember that you missed out on something you WILL remember for the rest of our lives.

My step-son got married on duck opener about 8 years ago. I could have killed him (you too HugoBox, huh?!) but now he started loving duck hunting and kicks himself for picking that day. Good thing his wife is a good sport and lets him go now. smile.gif

Oh yeah, and while it seems to stink that birthdays are on openers or trip, my b-day is always on fishing opener, and HuygoBox's is usually second weekend of ducking, so later in life those b-days can turn into really special days for both parents and kids.

Congrats in advance to you pops-to-be smile.gif I will be hunting, hehe wink.gif

I feel for you guys. I'm expecting my first one on the 13th of November. I'm definitely missing Wisconsin Deer hunting and if The Future Hunter comes early, I might be missing MN deer hunting.

Quote:

I feel for you guys. I'm expecting my first one on the 13th of November. I'm definitely missing Wisconsin Deer hunting and if The Future Hunter comes early, I might be missing MN deer hunting.

If he comes early I'll help ya tuck it back in since you're taking me on my first deer hunt. In all seriousness though, I can think of way worse things to missing a trip for. We couldn't have kids and adopted, but anyway you get them they are the best that will happen to ya. Enjoy that experience and look forward to taking them with on opener or your trips for their birthdays when they are older.

I told her to cross her legs and hold him in if he decided to come on opener...... Anyway, I don't think (crossing my fingers) that we'll be missing opener. I'm excited either way for The Future Hunter to get here so I have another person to take hunting. It'll be kind of neat when he gets old enough to have 4 generations of hunters at the cabin deer hunting. Sandmannd, Next year we'll be deer hunting at the cabin. Don't droll too much now!!!!

My wife and I are unable to have children.

I would miss the next 5 years of hunting and fishing to have one kid.

You should feel blessed...and I am sure you do.

I feel very blessed to have a little one coming. As much as I might joke about missing opener or a few days of hunting, as soon as I get the call that The Future Hunter is coming into this world, I'll be doing everything I can to be there for it. If it means missing opener, so be it. That means more than having to miss an opening day. There's more to come.

Man, I read the title of this thread and I'm confused. confused.gif

Missing a trip definitely stinks. But, you are having a baby! I'm sure you are excited about that...at least you will when he/she is born. grin.gif You'll forget about that lost trip quickly...

My wife and I had our first, a girl, in mid-August. You bet I (we) missed several trips we wanted to go on because of the labor timing deal, but it's well worth it. I am missing a lot of hunting this fall, and don't get me started on the loss of fishing.... blush.gif I'm at home as Mr. Mom all fall and loving it. I can delay some hunting/fishing as I have many more years to enjoy that. There's always next year and looking forward to a future partner in the field! grin.gif

Sandmannd can attest to some of the complaining I've done about the "timing" of the due date, but the way I look at it is that I'm willing to miss out on a few hunts to meet my new full time hunting and fishing partner and am excited to see him for the first time. Less than 3 weeks left before The Future HUnter gets here.

Hey Swede, thanks for the kind comments about vets.

I missed 2 years of fishing and hunting seasons while in Iraq, and it is agonizing for someone as passionate for the outdoors as I am, making it my career to preserve resources as well. All I could think about is spending time with friends and family first and formost, especially outdoors hunting or fishing. The first year I was gone a buddy shot a huge buck off the stand I usually hunt too. But it was always good for people to send me pics and stories of their trips. Now I enojoy being out fishing and hunting more than ever, and I didn't think it could get any more enjoyable. We are so fortunate and blessed, this country is beautiful. I will never take this for granted. grin.gif

Congrats guys that are having kids, can't wait to raise kid(s) and teach and show them all about this amazing natural world we live in.

Livingtofish,

You guys sacrafice a lot....I could not imagine how tough that would be. I have 2 brother-in-laws in Iraq and Georgia now. The are hardcore hunters/trappers/fisherman. The one in Iraq has brought traps there to trap desert fox and some musk rat like animals. He is teaching his boat crew and officers how to trap....lots of downtime for them.

The depression is lifting...I got a report from a splinter group of our party that the ducks left...maybe they are heading my way.

Livintofish - first I want to say thanks to you and everyone that serves the arm forces. I have a huge amount of respect for what you do. It would be hard to be away from family and freinds for that long. I'm very thankfull for folks like you that are there to protect our freedoms, including hunting, fishing and complaining about petty things when you guys have your lives on the line all the time.

Hammer Handle - I can relate to not being able to have kids. The first we adopted was very spendy but very much worth every penny and then some. You can't put a price on them. We are pursuing more children and found a way to get them with the county paying. If you are interested send me an email at [email protected] and I can let you know some info.

Kingfisher - You are a whinny little (contact us please) but I know it's joking. When you get to hold that little midget for the first time you won't even think about giving up a hunting trip.

To all those first time parents, these are the greatest little things you can ever imagine. Everyday is a new experience and watching them learn something new everyday is amazing. As much as you love the outdoors, not prepares you for how you fell about these little critters. It's pretty much unexplainable.

Sandmannd-

I totally agree that I won't think twice about missing a hunt after holding the midget. as far as being a whiney little ....., just remember who was doing the complaining up at the cabin after the walk. I was taking it easy on ya cuz I knew you're new!!! I can't wait until he gets here!!

Livintofish-

I applaud your decision to serve our country and thank you for it. I have nothing but respect for you. If it wasn't for guys like you, we wouldn't be on this forum talking about hunting and fishing.

SP I feel for you, missing a hunt is tough. Look at the long term (I am sure you have), you will have a partner for life. I have been there and I now have a 6, 4, and 2 year old and one on the way. We have all spent many days fishing together this past summer, and last year we ice-fished, skated, etc on the ice. I have never had so much fun in my life catching little dinky sunnies one after the other. I also had the 2 older ones out in the duck blind with me this year (we got 3 ducks together), and we all went on a pheasant hunt and I actually got one then too. Lots of snacks, breaks, "exploring", etc.

Sorry for the rambling but my point is it is hard to miss a trip, but there will be other trips. The ones that you can bring your child on just give you such a different feeling. Everything is so new and seen through their eyes, it just brings me back to why I love the outdoors so much.

Congrats to you!!!

Swedishpimple, congrats on your soon to be new arrival!! smile.gif I know exactly how you feel, as far as missing your annual trip etc. It stinks, but I promise you when you see your baby for the first time, no 10 pound 'eye, 10 point buck, or limit of mallards compares!! I was in Iraq last year, killed time by practicing my duck and goose calling skills, am still receiving bodily harm threats from my bunk mates shocked.gif

For those of you feeling depressed. You need to step back and think a moment. You may not be able to make the "Trip" but you should looking for oportunities closer at hand that you can still get out to enjoy the things your "depressed" about missing. Why do you think those guys in Iraq are trapping dessert fox and such? They are doing what they can to enjoy what they love where they are. laugh.gif I learned this serving 20 years in the Navy. I fished when and where I could, I hunted what I could when I had the time no matter where I was. Like dove hunting in SC, they ain't ducks, but its still fun. Hunted feral hogs in MS. Sure they aren't white tails, but they still presented a challnge.

When I knew I would not be able to hunt I found something similar. Like the time on a deployment when I knew I was going to miss an entrie fall/winter hunting season. I built a black powder rifle. Its called "Adapt and overcome" they teach it to you in the military but there is no reason civilians can't learn it. laugh.gif

One more thing, if you think missing a hunting trip is bad, wait till you miss the birth of a child, or that childs birthday or graduation.....Those are the times your heart is ripped out. frown.gif

Our new boy arrived on 10/31 and we got him home yesturday. I was just thinking "Is it to early to ask to go hunting tomorrow?" I got my answer without asking the question. The boss said she wants me to take the other kid to Sunday school so that answers that question. Maybe I can get out one morning this week. I am definatly not depressed but I still want to hunt.

Well - I tried but was not able to get it. When Duffman gets into the office today, I will have him show me how to do it.

063006.jpg

The directions made it seem easy to do a photo but I could not get Shutterfly to work. Duffman helped. This is Grant Michael. Is next year too early to take him fishing & hunting?

He looks like he will be able to blow a mean duck call smile.gif

Congrats again, sorry I missed you the other night.

The boss let me back on the water today. She did not like it but she let me go. I was getting a bit stir crazy. No depression just needing some fresh, cold air.

If every day back after a break from hunting were like today, I would take more breaks. Not many glamour ducks but I did shot well and the ducks decoyed well. I lost one bluebill, got one bluebill, one redhead and three buffle heads in the bag. I dropped a limit and was able to retrieve five. I had buffle heads coming into the decoys while I was picking them up. I needed a day like today and I can not wait until the 3 1/2 year old and the baby are old enough to come out with me.

Great pick on a name!!!!!!! He's going to be a great hunting and fishing partner I'm sure!!! Not too long until the other half pops! She's having contractions about every hour to hour anda half.

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd let everyone know that Connor Lee was born this morning at 2:34 a.m. 6 lbs 14 oz and 20.75 inches long. Pics will be posted as soon as I can get them up!!!

The Future Hunter is finally here!!!!

Congratulations on the new one. I hope both the wife and the baby are well. Being present for the birth is both extremely scary and totally exciting.