• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BLACKJACK

Chest protectors for Labs?

BLACKJACK

For the second time in three years I came back from SoDak with a lab with her chest cut open from one of the many barb wire fences that they have out there.

Will be going to the vet today to get her 2 inch cut sewed up but was wondering if anybody has tried one of those doggie chest protectors?? How well do they fit and stay on? Where did you get yours? Do they actually help?

Thanks!

jigging-matt

I bought one of the Cabelas Ripstop Vest for my Britt. Seems to fit him pretty good. Have had him wear it while he runs around, but haven't had him wear it in the field. Was worried about him getting to hot. Once it cools down I will have him wear it more. Read the reviews for it on the site, most if not all seemed very positive for the vest. grin.gif

Curly

Check out the one called a Skidplate, they sell them at Mills Fleet Farm I know. I don't think the dog getting too hot would be an issue with this one as I don't think it comes up around on the sides of the dog too much, just protects the chest.

Down2Earth

I think these things work great. The first one I bought was the neoprene vest and in between hunting and returning home my dog chewed it in half while in the pet taxi. He chewed it off right at the front shoulder and the neck. So if you go that route I would say take it off while in the kennel. The next one I bought was the ripstop. I leave it on him the whole day and it's never been a problem.

gonefishin11

I have a skidplate also and I like it. Its very light so my lab won't get too warm. I was told when I bought the skidplate that labs don't need neoprene because of their thicker coat.

LundExplorer

I have one of the neoprene Cabelas and does the job protecting the chest but it has caused some severe chafing in his armpit area 2x now. I have trimmed it to fit better but it still chafes. Pretty bad too. He was walking bow legged in front for a day after this weekend. I am thinking of having some soft fleece like material sewed on around the front leg holes.

LABS4ME

Watch hunting dogs with neoprene vests on! They can very easily overheat! If you want a chest protector, go that route. Save the neoprene for duck hunting. Imagine you wearing neoprene waders when pheasant hunting so you don't get any burrs through you pants... Bet by the end of the day you rethink that option and go with a pair of upland pants.

With that said, you can probably get away with it on cold days, but I'd never risk it when the temps are above 30...

Good Luck!

Ken

Dahitman44

How about those water chest protectors? Do they help for water?

BLACKJACK

labs, you bring up a great point about the overheating!!! That would be my concern with any kind of vest, I know how hard the dogs were panting when we were watering them down after running a few shelterbelts last weekend, but after getting my dog back from the vet - $320 later, I need to do something.

stretch

Quote:

For the second time in three years I came back from SoDak with a lab with her chest cut open from one of the many barb wire fences that they have out there.

Will be going to the vet today to get her 2 inch cut sewed up but was wondering if anybody has tried one of those doggie chest protectors?? How well do they fit and stay on? Where did you get yours? Do they actually help?

Thanks!

i just got back from a 3 day pheasant hunt in south dakota and my yellow lab doesn't have a scratch on her belly at all but her eyes and nose is a didn't story. she has the remmington chest protector for the pas 3 years and it have saved me thousands of dollors in vet bills. it has 3 straps to go over their back. it has a double layer on the chest also. she has many tears on it from the barb wire and sticks poking it. it has been a big life saver for both of us.

the one thing you should not us is a neoprene vest when it's above freezing. it will make the dog over heat very fast.

i got the remmingto vest at scheels for around $25. it's been the best $25 i have ever spent.

311Hemi

Here is the one I used last year.....I did not use it this year. It did chafe a little in the armpits of my dog after a few days but nothing bad. Overall the fit was good though. This is the Skidplate by Mendota.

Picture075_web.jpg

Picture053_web.jpg

MikeYager - Suzuki

I got the nylon one from Cabelas with plastic snap connectors on top. Fits and works great on my golden.