• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GuideGear Boots from Sportsman's Guide

WalleyeWarrior

Question

Has anyone tried either the 1600 or 2000 gram thinsulate rubber boots that are found at Sportsman's Guide? I like the idea having rubber because they'd be great in a deerstand, but would also be great for on the ice when there's standing water. I've got Iceman boots, but am tired of freezing my feet. I was thinking of buying new liners for the Iceman, but they cost half as much as the new boots. I might as well get something new. If anyone has purchased these, do the sizes run true? As with anything you buy online, it's a pain to have to send things back. Thanks for any advice given.

7 answers to this question

Iceman and freezing feet??? Your liners are either shot or they are wet. My guess is that the iceman (in proper condition) have considerably more insulating power than 2000 grams of thinsulate.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sorry I don't have any info on the Guide Gear boots but wonder if they'll do the job when icemans couldn't.

Did the Icemans keep your feet warm when they were new?

Worn out or wet liners can't do their job. A tight fitting boot is no good either. I'll go one or two sizes bigger. That'll give me more room, then I take old felts and cut the sides out to make inserts for the bottom of the boot. That fills up the extra room but most importantly gives me more insulation between my foot and the ground.

Next boot is the USMC or their look alike. Black rubber outers, insulation sealed in with a rubber membrane inside.

You'll never have wet liners with those boots. Your socks will get damp because the moister isn't getting soaked into your liner. Thats a good thing to keep that moister out of your liner. Some guys don't pull their liners out after every use and aren't getting the most as far as insulating.

Anyway I started wearing those boots 30 years ago. Warmest boot on Earth IMO. Heavy to walk in though but for ice fishing and sitting on the stand in cold temps you can't beat them.. You size them for a snug fit, not tight.

For temps ranging from warm to 20 degrees I go with Muck Boots. Water proof for those slushy late ice conditions but very light weight and very comfortable to walk in.

A good pair of wicking socks and then a good wool or wool blend like the smartwools are a must. My feet sweat like crazy and if I dont have a wicker sock under my wool they will get wet and eventually my feet get cold if Im just sitting around.

Like ST said take liners out after every use or put boots on a boot dryer. Also make sure you winterize your boats with a good sealent. I really like Snowseal. Very good stuff.

If your feet are cold with Icemans on Im guessing you have a problem with poor socks, bad liners or moisture getting in your boats some how. Or you have a circulation problem in your feet.

Another tip is cut down your caffiene intake on the ice. Drink no decaf coffee while out there. Booze is bad as well. Also eating some healthy snacks will help your body stay warm.

If this dont help you than I would get some Ice Kings. I have 2 pair and they have held up and keep my feet toasty.

Do not waste your money. I have a little insider information on the company that makes the boots (Itasca). My ex-brother in-law is the former president of the company. They claim it is Goretex and thinsulate when in fact it's not. Buy Rockies, trust me.

Tricky question, I normally wear a size 10 shoe. Bought a pair of Columbia rubber insulate boots (1200 gr $89)that were size 8 - fit great w/o wool socks but to tight otherwise. Went to Sportsmans Warehouse tried on the LaCrosse Burly ATS (1500 gr $129) at sz 11 w/ wool socks tight but comfortable. They also had the LaCrosse ATS (1200 gr){not as much neoprene in upper half $99} and fit alot better with wool socks in a sz 9 - ended up getting those. As they seemed more comfortable for walking. I won't buy shoes/boots online as each MFG differs. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Do not waste your money. I have a little insider information on the company that makes the boots (Itasca). My ex-brother in-law is the former president of the company. They claim it is Goretex and thinsulate when in fact it's not. Buy Rockies, trust me.

That could be big, big trouble for the company. Yikes. Is it some cheap Chinese ripoff?

That's exactly what it is. They have already been through the court system. Used to get all my boots for free & I could run through several pair in a year. Always put on the Rockies for hunting and fishing though. Used to burn him up pretty good too grin.gif