• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HAS ANYONE SEEN ANY HUGE METRO BUCKS!!!

MnHuntinKid08

OK, I was at work the other day and a guy was telling me about how he barely missed a MONSTER buck with his car. He didnt remember where it was, he just said it was somewhere in minnetonka. Im acctually in a contest with some of my family and friends to see who can get the best picture/ video footage of a big whitetail buck. i was just wondering if anyone has seen any big bucks in the metro area. if you have, please let me know. (The contest winner gets $200)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

thnx

Last year I saw the same deer at least 12 points just a monster in the same place off a busy street cliff road and dodd in Eagan. I knew it was the same deer because one of its antler hooked downwards. I have seen numerous big bucks out by the coke refinery off of hwy 52.

A few weeks back I was fishing at the Coon Rapids Dam and there was a little thunderstorm passing through when a bolt of lightning flashed and then a very loud boom. About 2 seconds later, 2 of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in the wild came charging straight toward me. The first one veered off a little left of me and ran across the river. The about 2 seconds after that, another one. I couldn't get the camera out fast enough, I just stood there in awe of what I had just seen. By the way, they were at least both 10 pointers, but I wasn't trying to count. The guy I was fishing with there said he used to see them all of the time out there when he was younger. I suppose there are a lot of them there since there isn't any hunting allowed on their property.

YES. I counted 11pts once, and 12pts once. Same deer, I may have been tired when I counted the 11. By the railroad tracks off Hwy 280 at Terminal, around walnut. Somewhat by the oil fields. Out of hunters range I guess, boy hes a bigg'n too. Seen him a few times this year getting off work at midnight. He gets me excited, and I dont even hunt.

Hey this is a good way to inconspicuously pick up new hunting ground grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Really, i just want to take a picture..... grin.gif

I hope you get a good shot cool.gif....i mean photo.

I'm just messin' with ya in good humor.

Quote:

I'm actually in a contest with some of my family and friends to see who can get the best picture/ video footage of a big whitetail buck. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any big bucks in the metro area. if you have, please let me know. (The contest winner gets $200)

I take it you have to get snap the photo or shoot the video.

I've got a video of a buck that is at least 12 pts, can't tell if there are a few more than that or not. Video is 6 minutes long and filmed in one of my co-workers backyards in Golden Valley right off HWY 100.

I'll see if I can't get it up on YouTube.

If you are just photographing, I'd recommend Fort Snelling / Pike Island. Plenty of deer in those woods, and I've seen some nice bucks there. They're pretty used to humans, and getting a decent picture wouldn't be as tough as on a WMA or other regularly hunted area.

Not that it helps for your contest, but if anyone wants a good time seeing deer then I've got the place. My wife and I stopped in the Wisconsin Dells on Monday driving back to MN. We took the Wisconsin River tour on the Army Ducks. I counted 7 deer (4 does and 3 bucks; 6-8 pointers) during the tour including a couple that were just laying down in the woods. It was pretty cool but we didn't have the camera.

Do you know anyone with a large dear head hanging on the wall?

When my brother was in 2nd grade, his class got an assignment to take a nature picture that showed the beauty of MN. We were having a hard time deciding what to take the picture of and then I thought about taking a picture of a dear. The problem with this is knowing where the dear are and then waiting for an oppertunity. To speed up the process, I went down stairs where my dad had several dear mounts and grabbed the biggest one. We went out into the woods and found a large oak tree at the top of a small hill. I took the head and hid behind the tree while my brother took the picture. When we got them developed, it looked like the dear was coming up the backside of the hill and looking around the tree. He turned the picture in to his teacher and got an A. The teacher was so impressed with the picture that she sent it somewhere and it won an award.

Yeah it was kind of cheating but the dear was part of nature once.

edina off 169 the road goes over some sloughs and in the neighborhoods there are MONSTER deer in there......was painting a house and just got back from hunting and saw a massive 12 pointer and the house that we were working on said they have seen them all year.......

Quote:

When my brother was in 2nd grade, his class got an assignment to take a nature picture that showed the beauty of MN. We were having a hard time deciding what to take the picture of and then I thought about taking a picture of a dear. The problem with this is knowing where the dear are and then waiting for an oppertunity. To speed up the process, I went down stairs where my dad had several dear mounts and grabbed the biggest one. We went out into the woods and found a large oak tree at the top of a small hill. I took the head and hid behind the tree while my brother took the picture. When we got them developed, it looked like the dear was coming up the backside of the hill and looking around the tree. He turned the picture in to his teacher and got an A. The teacher was so impressed with the picture that she sent it somewhere and it won an award.

Yeah it was kind of cheating but the dear was part of nature once.

LOL - that's too funny.

The biggest metro buck I've seen was a 12 pointer near General Mills. Maybe from the same heard as that Hwy 100 bunch?

THERE WAS A FAIRLY LARGE DEAD DEER ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD HEADING NORTH ON SNELLING. IT WAS RITE ABOUT WHERE SNELLING TURNS INTO 694.

HAVE NOT SEEN THE BIG ONE BY MY HOUSE, BUT NEIGHBORS ARE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT THE MONSTER BY LAKE OWASSO AND JOSEPHINE.

Haha, now that you said that, i guess it does sound sorta fishy... but acctually im a duck/pheasant hunter, i dont really have a thing for deer hunting...(too boring for me) but i still like seeing and watching deer

There are two drop-tine bucks that hang out at the local golf course. I am too afraid of poachers to name the course, just start checking courses.... crazy.gif

I MENTIONED THAT I HAVENT SEEN THE BIG BOY YET IN MY LAST POST. STILL HAVENT SEEN HIM YET, BUT THE NEIGHBOR DOWN THE STREET DIDNT LEARN FROM LAST YEAR, FORGOT TO HANG THE SOAP, AND HIS TREE IS ALL RIPPED UP AGAIN, BUT HIGHER THIS YEAR. THE TREE IS AROUND 5 TO 6 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND IS RUBBED UP ABOUT 3.5 FEET OR SO. GOT TO BE THE BIG ONE FROM LAST YEAR OR ANOTHER LARGE DEER DECIDED THAT WAS HIS TREE AGAIN.

THE LOCATION IS THE SWAMP ACROSS FROM LAKE JOSEPHINE AREA. THERE IS A VIEWING AREA FOR THE OSPREY JUST EAST OF LEXINGTON ON C2 AND THERE ARE ALWAYS DEER MILLING AROUND DOWN THERE. HAVE SEEN THREE DIFFERENT 4 OR 6 POINTERS DOWN THERE BUT HAVENT CAUGHT THE BIG BOY.

I saw the big boy you are referring to near Lake Josephine. I jog around the swamp you mention almost everyday. I have seen doe with two fawn multiple times. 4 and 6 pointers frequently. Saw a 9 pointer during velvet season and again just last week. Big bruiser for sure. Rack is outside of the ears and very tall. Very pretty animal.

There used to be a few big boys at Federal Cartridge in Anoka. I think it was last year they thinned the herd quite a bit.

My back yard in Minnetonka is connected to a few hundred acres of wetland drainage and wild area and over the years, the biggest live whitetails I've ever seen have been in my back yard. There used to be a 14 point with drop tines that hung out here but the biggest for mass of antlers was a 12 point that would chase off all the other deer and eat apples off my trees about 20 feet from the back door. The dogs would go nuts while watching him from the windows and he would look at them and go back to eating apples. I think he had the idea that he owned my place.

Ya, Federal has a few!

Inner city area I would chose is south of 694 and east river road. Used to be some monsters running around FMC over to the Mississippi Park! That area, on up river to the Rice Creek confluence. I used to see very large bucks swim out to islands out in river. That up to Coon Rapids Dam area (like said).

I think they cleared some or if not all, but there was a couple monster bucks in Columbia Heights Water Reservoir park. They would always be right out in open area, ready for a photo. The people who lived around there would hand feed some of the bucks and does through fence!

Also I have heard of some rather large bucks over at the Elm Creek park rec area in Maple Grove!

Some spots I have learned about!

Good luck!

i was on my way home yesterday at about 5pm and saw 14 deer off of galpin ave. Two were bucks, but nothing monster. There is always deer around there, just north of chaska.

Dayton / Maple Grove

Every year I see a few that blow my mind right up along the Elm Creek Park....If you know someone that owns land around that area, you'll surely bag a nice one

I got a quict look at a real nice buck and some big does yesterday behind Northern Tool in Minnetonka, we have a big swamp and see alot of does back there but yesterday I walked down into the marsh and got to see a real nice 10 or 12 pt!

Last night coming into Lake Elmo saw the biggest buck ever feeding in the ditch just west of town. I even turned around to try and count the points. It would be a trophy non-typical.

I have the biggest darn buck patterned in the Wirth Parkway area. I bike byit every single day. He's 160 all day. Likely better.

Haven't seen any large one's this year. There used to be a huge 12 pointer that came around, haven't seen him in a while though. The apple tree brings in some small does and there is a little buck (4 point I counted) that uses it, sometimes he sleeps under the neighbors tree.