• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stolen Trailcam

GFNER

I'm hunting the Weaver area of SE MN. Private farm bordering St. land. Bought my first camera and was as exited to see my shots as I was to hunt. Went to retrieve pictures and you guessed it,GONE! Geez I can see mooning it giving it the finger,or something else stupid but what a loser to steal it! Is this a pretty common problom where you guys hunt? Coincidently had to ask 2 "non-native" hunters to leave the property the following morn. Never really cared before but I guess it's time to post the property now. confused.gif

Not sure why you wouldnt post the property.

If its not posted properly, people can access it legally.

It by no means gives them the right to steal your cam, but ya gotta post the land.

Never had an intruder on my cams, nor lost one.... knock on wood.....

I only hunt public land, and that was my major reason for selling my trailcam, fear that someone was gonna steal it. After not being able to find a locking mechanism for it that i thought would deter people i just sold it.

I hunt private land bordering state land. I won't put out a trail cam for that reason. I know other hunters are walking in and out of the area. I can hear the squirrel and turkey hunters a few hillsides away. I have some private land that I put up a trailcam on, but thats not where I primarily bowhunt. Sorry to hear about your cam.

I have always thought that if I were to buy a trail cam for Public land it would have to be an IR one with no flash so that people would not be able to pinpoint it's location from the flash going off.

I wonder how that would work and how long it would last in the woods.

It might work if it was off the beaten path, the problem with the IR cameras, is that they are a little more spendy, so you increase the value of the investment that you are HOPING nobody notices and steals. I almost think it would be better to put out a cheapy, so if it does get stolen, you not out much. I have an old 35mm that is going to go out there next year. If they really want it, I guess they can have it. My good ones go on private land.

I have a nice pic of some pheasant hunters walking back to the state land they came from after trespassing on our private land I had the camera on, good thing they didnt see it.

its not really trespassing unless it is clearly and properly posted. People steal the cameras from private land knowing there was probably a picture of them taken while they were trespassing. Others just take the film out so they don't get busted doing wrong. A good picture of who knows what is of a spanish looking fella walking through private property with a scoped rifle in one hand and a shotgun in the other, while no open firearm season of any sort was open. What is that guy up to? Its in the hunting deer-bear-moose-varmits-trapping forum under the trailcam pic, lets get going thread, i recommend sneaking a peak. And before anyone blows up at me about the spanish looking fella comment, he only looked spanish, i'm not saying by any means that that is how all spanish people are, as some people may think i am pointing my finger at a particular ethnic background!!

I tell ya what. I always wanted a trail cam. Now I have one and I'm afraid to put it out because of this. I haven't researched locks yet but will have to before I leave it somewhere. (Private land only)

Funny thing is, last weekend while scouting Crow Wing County land, we came across a nice new Moultrie IR cam strapped to a tree near the road. crazy.gif No lock and on a main trail. Of course we didn't take it but they definately have pictures of us checking it out.

I was amazed to see all the permanant stands up on those lands. And my friends that live there know were they all are and which ones get hunted every year. They have their own 140 so they just let em all do their thing.

Its like the regulars have taken ownership of those areas and don't realize its open to everyone. Trail cams, permanent and portable stands, and buckets with empty 50 lb corn bags stuffed in them. shocked.gif

went back thru the whole posting looking for that photo and could not find it. Followed that posting and never saw it??

And you haven't notified the local CO about the permanent stands and baiting? I think a friendly little call for him to follow up on those activities will begin to curb those activities.

Good Luck!

Ken

So because private land isn't posted, it is open to the public??! I've always treated land that didn't have a WPA or WMA sign as posted, unless I received permission from the owner. Am I missing something?

That's like saying if you leave your front door unlocked anybody can just walk right in. Come on guys let's just think about it. You try that only my property and I catch you, you are getting a trepassing ticket it's that simple I know I have done it to a few guys over the years. People tear down the no trepassing signs and say they were not posted well local law enforcement does not see it that way.

I don't believe the land has to be posted in MN. This is from the hunting regs trespass laws, pg12.

Any entry

onto the private property of another without permission is considered

trespass. Landowners may be able to pursue court action against

trespassers

whether the property is posted or not.

Wanderer...sounds like the land I hunt...Lots of st louis county forest land and timber land up here and many people hunt it regularly over the yrs..Permant stands, portables, trailcams( never found one yet) but lots and lots of corn piles, empty bags and even an AUTOMATIC FEEDER!!! ARE THESE PEOPLE ASKIGN TO GET CAUGHT?! as far as I know I dont think its illegal to leave stands on this land and people have even built cabins that they leave in an unlocked return it as you found it manner. not sure of the legality of this either. frankly I dont mind anything except the baiting going on.. lots og guys back home leave stands on wmas too. the dnr there dosent really enforce that law until fights over stands or stolen stands become an issue...

actually, now that i think about it, in mn i believe you had to have signed the trespass signs with a permanent marker. also. no hunting signs must say no hunting without permission to be of legality. not sure though

the trespass law states that if the land is posted or not accessing it without permission is trespass, and the landowner can take you to court if caught, PLUS FINES AND PENALTIES. Now to be legally posted land "no trespassing" or similar signs must be be posted less than 1000 ft apart, and wooded land 500 feet apart. IMO you should always ask, I don't think it's a good idea to hunt on land you don't have permission to be on, signs or not. Trust me, the DNR will ticket you, I got a $50 fine 3 years ago, for being on unposted land, I went to court and tried to fight it, judge stuck it to me even though there was no signs.