• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ground blind Any input?

finspat

I am thinking of getting a ground blind this fall

due to there are very few trees, to hang a tree stand, the timber was sold off.

A few years back, I think a ground blind would be the ticket. What kind is the best? Without breaking the bank

Just don't know much about them.

Anyone have any luck or what do others think of them?

Have a nice day

Fins

There was another thread on here a few weeks ago discussing the same thing. I bought a cheap one a few years ago for turkey hunting, and I have used it a few times for bow hunting. I regret not spending the extra 150 - 200 for a Double Bull blind. Mine is starting to fall a part.

I took deer on two separate occasions from a ground blind made of four plastic fence posts (with the steel spike on the bottom) draped with camo burlap.

Not something I was real proud of, but it worked in a pinch - actually in two pinches. Probably not the answer you were looking for though...

I know the double is not cheap but I had 2 other brands that lasted just one year.(I can be hard on stuff though) But I plunged for the double bull and its a great bind. Very well built and once you learn to "put up" and "take down" its just takes seconds.

I usually build my own. In the area I hunt the forest is littered with plenty of blowdowns and the like so all I have to do is pile it up to create a pocket to sit in. I feel this is an advantage because the material used is naturally from the area and so doesn't look so out of place. I believe deer can tell when something is artificial and this can put them into a defensive mode.

Bob

Many discussions in the Archery forum in regards to ground blinds this fall. Check out this one and you could also search for others or go back through the pages on the archery forum. Good luck in your finding a good blind.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB35&Number=1166471&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

Double Bull is definetly the best, but expensive. For deer, I often use a Cabela's 3D leafy covered blind. About $150. The camo on the blind does not spook deer near as bad as the db. It is a hub style blind similar to the smaller db.

I personally have used a few different companies blinds. I have tried the copied double Bull blinds and had to return it as the hub design broke on me after a very short time in use.

To date after years of service with my DB blinds, I have had next to no issues. We all have our opinion and I chose to stay with what I feel is the premium blind on the market today. Yes, they do cost somewhat more and I feel that for what you are recieving, you are getting your moneys worth. I dont like to spend any more money than needed but when I go out hunting I want to know that what I purchased, will work.

As far as the deer knowing whats going down with a blind set up, I always brush in my blinds unless they have been placed out weeks in advance for the deer to become more comfortable with them in the woods. They are a great option when a tree stand might not be another option.

Thank you for the input,

I really want to get a ground blind,

Just wonder if it is too spooky for deer!

Again thanks for you input as well as all of you

Fins

Ive used the ameristep dog house for several years now no problems. Practice folding it back up in your yard a bit before taking it into the field. And well it is nice and dark in there and I get kinda sleepy...

Last year I set it up opening morning on top of a ridge and that afternoon had a buck walk right up to me like he thought the blind belonged there so no it doesnt spook deer too much. Yes i would put brush around it or place it near some type of cover if possible.

I used a well-brushed in Double Bull Matrix 360 on a MBRB hunt last weekend and had a spike buck 3 feet from my head. My spot in the tree was about 50 yards off where the deer were going so I moved the blind in. He didn't have the slightest clue it was there and it was really exciting.

Oh boy,

Sounds really good to hear!

Heard lots about the blind you have,

what are your thoughts about blinds.

I am leaning towards the ameristep.

I have a question what do you do about scent?

Showers scents free washing of clothing, and the spritz

scent free spray, applied just as you walk in to hunt.

this is what i do when I hunt from a tree.

Love to hear your thoughts!

take care Fins

My suggstion would be to save up and buy a Double Bull. the others will work but the DB is the best hands down. If you buy an Ameristep blind, yes it will work, but the less expensive ones seem to always have issues of some sort. If you do purchase a less spendy one, just be real careful with putting it up and taking it down and you should get some good service out of it for some time.

As far as ascent control, I always make sure that I'm as scent free as possible and use the wind to my advantage as much as possible.

Ameristep Doghouse works for me with Turkey and deer.

It's big enough for to have the kids along also and it's cheap, just like me! Practice putting it up and more importantly taking it down. There is a little twist trick to it.

Ferny.

I purchased Ameristep's new Chair blind this year both the single chair and the double chair just in case of Rain for this year's firearms hunting season. They are supposed to be scent shield and waterproof. They have the colapsable chairs built right in and fold up and take down in seconds. I bought the double person one because it seeme to have more viewing/shooting area along with you can shoot throgh the window holes too on the double person one. I havn't tried them yet but will report back if used or used by one of our hunting party members. cool.gif

I always make my plug for a Big Game Groundmax Escape Deluxe. It's a big roomy blind. Not as nice as the Double Bull but I can open and close the windows silently in front of deer and it works for me. About $150. I have left out all season long in the same spot for the past 3 years and still works great.

I order from cabalas the ground max eclispe.

Big and roomy, silent windows to open.

Easy set up. tough marerial.

Cant wait to get it.

I have a question about the shoot thru mesh

Can you shoot retractables??

will these open on impact with the mesh??

Fins tongue.gif

Native material blinds have worked for me in the past, and I've considered buying a portable - probably will. They sure are looking light and comfy. Given stand restrictions and the quality of these blinds, it looks like they are getting very popular. I think it's only a matter of time before there's a tragedy.

Safety is a real concern. I suppose if you are hunting controlled private land it might not be an issue, but on public land you may be in the line of fire. I try and stay in elevated stands on public land just for that reason. Everybody else's bullets should be going down, and I'm up. And my bullets will be going down.

I'd suggest tying a large orange flag over top of the blind. I don't think it'll spook deer much. Maybe one made of orange camo? The law requires you wear orange so you can be seen. In a blind you can't.

Remember - Safety First!

Craig

I have 2 doghouse blinds. I guess here's my opinion on blinds. The longer you can stay in the field, the better chance you have of harvesting a deer. When I'm up in a tree, my butt gets sore, I get ansy, and I often get cold, because I am more subject to the elements. I don't imagine all that figeting helps much either.

I find that I am very comfortable in my blind, I use a nice comfortable patio chair in mine... so I can sit there all day if necessary.

I have had bucks within a few feet of me, they don't know what they're looking at for sure...

Keep in mind, that most have multiple sides you can open, I don't like to open the side behind me, so that the deer can't see my silo et (how do you spell that?).

I have had good success over the last 3 years with them, and won't go back to a tree stand, unless ground cover is too difficult to see through.

I do put my blind up 4 weeks in advance, so the deer can get used to them, and whatever human smell is clinging to them can blow off... I don't suppose you'd want to do that on public land.

I also set up a couple of natural blinds... that whitetail hunters almanac doctor, recommends using natural cover... and changing locations every 1/2 day. He's of the opinion that whitetails will identify you, and then avoid your location for a week or two.

I have to admit, that I often see deer the first day, and then not again, if I stay in that same location, so he may be right. So I follow his directions and set up a different sitting area for each 1/2 day I'll be hunting. It has helped.

Make sure whatever you use for a chair or stool is quiet!!! You may have to adjust your position, and if it squeeks, they'll bolt.

analyzer

Sounds to me like you have the ground blind game going good for you. They are very nice to hunt out of.

Quote:

I'd suggest tying a large orange flag over top of the blind. I don't think it'll spook deer much. Maybe one made of orange camo? The law requires you wear orange so you can be seen. In a blind you can't.

Remember - Safety First!

They actually sell covers for these at Fleet Farm. Buddy of mine borrowed me a ground blind for this weekend and I picked up the orange cover for the top. I'm hunting in Carlos and want to make sure I'm seen by others.