• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Darkhouse Pictures 2007-2008 Season!!!!!

bassNspear

After a few times out, we finally managed to stick a pike...well actually a buddy did as we're both sharing the spear and taking turns throwing. I missed on so many fish it was ridiculous...

It was a good weekend though. Found a lake that actually has some clarity as we could see bottom in 12FOW without a problem, and the lake has high numbers of pike. Yesterday we sat out all day, and saw 5 fish, and today we sat out from 8am-11am and saw 7 fish. First fish hit the live decoy no more than 10 seconds after we put the decoys down the hole. Took a page out of Bass'n'Spears book, and did the tandem rig with the live decoy below a fake one. Couple of fish latched onto the live decoy, and we had to pull it back into the hole for a throw with the spear...it's so fun watching those things clamp onto the decoy, and move around under the ice...

Here are some picks...

P1010454.jpg

My buddy with a 30" pike. Came in real slow on the bottom from behind us. Was a perfect straight down shot.

P1010456.jpg

Spearing is a blast! Get the same rush as when deer hunting when a fish comes in the hole. Saw a lot of smaller pike. The one we speared was definitely the biggest at 30" on the button.

Boiled some up and dipped in butter...finger licken good.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Central Bassman

• merkman

• fisherking01

Nice pics. Unfortunately not so many of us have cameras that we can set up (or know how to set up) to include both persons in the pictures. I've been called on this subject so many times that I plain quit taking pictures of individuals with more than their (my) personal limit. Statewide limit includes only one pike over 30 inches, with many lakes regulated for release of all pike from 24 - 36 inches with one oover 36 inches in the limit. It pays to read the regs for each lake you plan on fishing.

There were lakes in the past that included limits of up to 6 northerns, scanning the regulations now I do not note that.

I didn't mean to call anyone out on it.

I was just interested in knowing for my personal knowledge.

It looks like there is a limit of 5 northerns on WI MN border waters too.

Ya, in the state of mn, you can only take one norther over 30, and have three for the day.

Nice fish Marc.

How are you guys taking pictures of the fish in the water. Everytime that i take 10-15 pic, none of them turn out becuase of the flash. And when i turn the flash off, they dont come out ither.

Maybe im just dumb.

Merkman we had our wheel house out there on the lake about 100 feet from my darkhouse and 5 other people were fishing with us... we had a great time on the lake today watching football and having smoked venison/pork sausage for dinner. FYI my son was spearing in the darkhouse with me so it is legal for us to have 2 fish over 30"... Thank you

3 pike posession, same as daily limit. you need to eat or give away fish before you can harvest more.

pics with flash off point and shoot camera. water clarity shows as you can see in the different pics.

Originally Posted By: fisherking01
3 pike posession, same as daily limit. you need to eat or give away fish before you can harvest more.

this is correct

As long as we're talking regs, I figured I'd mention that on borderwaters (US and Canada) we can also have 3 fish, but it's one over 28" not 30". It has been this way only since last year.

Hi B'n'S,

I have an Olympus camera...one of the shooting modes is "Available Light". I use that one without a flash in the house. Good for low light situations. Pics come out nice...

Later.

Marc

brandon hunting 087

after 4days of watching them i finally had to break down and spear one thought he was a little bigger but still very nice 38 inch fish. this will be the only big one i will take all year. what a great day saw 21 fish in 3.5 hours.

ok today I wish I was out spearing so I turned around in my cube and took this picture wishing I was in the spear house!!! Everyone that walks in my cube has to be quiet not to scare the big one away and not to wipe their feet on my spearing rug!!!! Enjoy!!

2197531135_280edb4bab_m.jpg

That is a sweet print and Les does some good work. I have seen one of his were you can see under the ice and all the fish swimming around the spear hole.

I got that rug about 8 years ago at a Dark House association meeting that I attended in Waterville, I think I paid 30 bucks for it and there was no way that I am going to leave the boys rub their feet on that one so I thought I better take it to work and enjoy it when things get a little stress full in cube city!!!!

i have the print from him of the outside of the house, looking down the hole, and under the hole where the pike is swimming around the decoy.

I have alot of his prints, and i can tell you this, there awesome around the house to look at. He does some awesome work

He did some awesome paintings, I have Darkhouse Action, Darkhouse Finale and the other one that is the tradition one with all three surrounded by decoys and spears, he always did a great job on all of his paintings!!!

you got that right. I have others that are awesome as well. Deer hunting, and bass fishing. The guy is awesome with what he does.

hey all,

im new in the forums but have read ur posts in especially this forum as well as others

i was just wondering... do any of u guys know the story behind the darkhouse prints?

Welcome to FM. I had the opportunity to personally know Les Kouba, and am a friend of Randy Herschman, Les's Nephew. Les was a great outdoors enthusiast, and experienced all of the things he painted. His love for the outdoors really shines in his paintings. His unique style of touching the hearts of small groups of people like those spearing enthusiasts on this site are what makes his work so special to many of us.

Les is missed, but his work will live for a long time. Brent

Hey Stabin

I would like the welcome you to FM. There is alot of great people here that are alot of fun.

Need anything, shoot me a email. Welcome Aboard!!@

I also had the chance to meet Randy Herschman about two years ago and got to talking about Kouba and some of his friends that grew up with him and live in my area. As it turns out i actually go up to canada fishing with one of his best buddies in the same group that he went with. Maybe ur familiar with the (forgive my spelling) geache's more specifically the one who goes by the name of Cutter.

anyway while i was talking with randy he told me the story behind the darkhouse series paintings and was just wondering if anyone else knew too.

Thanks for the welcome guys i hope to get some pics up and running soon and oh yeah nothings better than sticken a big tank in the stabin cabin.

were glad that your here with us.

Thats awesome that you were with people that were friends with him. The prints are amazing, i wish i could buy them all!!

hey bass n spear Its great to see this forum ( Ive been away for a while and glad to be back) and these are some awsome pics in here, my 40incher is just about done from the taxidermist and its going to done in a spearing seen. as soon as I get it back I'll be sure to get some pics on.