• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ripley Report 18th-19th

maros91

How did everyone do? On Thursday I sat pretty much all day in the rain. By far the worst day of hunting I have ever been a part of. I did manage to see 5 deer on stand. 2 does came into range and I decided to pass and wait for the big one. Never came. Got down at 5 to get in line for the next day. Hunted a different spot on Friday. Went from rain to a heavy drizzle and high winds. 2 small, very old trees blew down were I was sitting. At 8:50 Doe and fawn walk by, 5 minutes later another doe and fawn walk by, 15 minutes after that 2 does stroll to with in 10 yards and I took one of them. She runs 40 yards and topples over. I decide to wait a little since the deer were moving and 2 more does stroll by about 20 minutes later. I field dressed my deer, registered it and headed for home. I was tired, the weather had beaten me up for the time I was there. I seen 13 deer while on stand(5 Thursday & 8 Friday) which I thought was good for the weather conditions, but I didn't see any horns, oh well, there is always next time. Thursday night I asked the DNR how many were brought in and he said around 70 but people were still coming in. When I registered mine on Friday at 11 am I was the 6th one for that day. How did everyone else do?

Yeah Biff, it was great wasn't it??!!! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

I didn't see as many deer as in the past since I'm on an escape route and as you said once people got out Thursday they stayed put or got back in the truck and stayed put.

The first deer I saw was big 10 pointer about 8 am but he was too far out to shoot. He stood there for a bit and panted from running so much just like they do at that spot. I missed and enormous 8 there last year doing the same thing only closer. My string slapped my sleeve since I mislplaced my armguard in the morning chaos. mad.gif

I saw does here and there the rest of the day but no shots. Friday we hunted despite the swirling winds and I had a drawback on a doe that I stalked but couldn't get clear of two sticks so I didn't shoot.

My buddy saw the same nice 8 pointer both days but couldn't close the deal. The wind swirled wrong 2 steps before the shooting lane. smirk.gif

The total for day one was 105 deer with the heaviest at 208 lbs.(a dandy 8 that was hanging near our camp). We saw a 196 lb 11 pointer at the check station too. NICE!

Somebody always gets em...

By the way, congrats on filling a tag! Any deer in the first season this year was a job well done!

we got 1 doe. Only seen 5 total between 2 guys and no bucks. It gave me a headache hunting in the rain all day with the rain hitting the forest floor.deer were not moving as much as last year

Simular report here. Weather was not my friend the last 2 days. Sounds like the # of deer taken is down. Just means more for the "2nd weekenders" Did seen a rabbit with 1/3 of it's fur missing. It's whole mid-section was bald confused.gif

Any ideas on what was wrong with the thing?

Oh yah, 2 hunters...saw 7 deer...one was a small 7pt out of bow range...no meat in freezer.

HOOT

The ony thing I saw from my stand was a black bear about 30 yards away Friday morning. It is the second bear I have seen while hunting there.

Friday night on the way out we had a nice buck cross the road in front of us.

What area did most of you hunt? North? South?

We usually hunt the north side, but in the rain we did check out the south side a liitle bit.

We acually didn't get into the woods until 9:00 Thur. The weather was bad. Thank God I stopped on Wednesday and bought one of those tree hanging umbrellas. I don't know how anyone could sit all day without one. I ended up seeing 9 deer. Does and fawns. Had three come in range of the bow but since it was the first day decided to let them walk. When we got back to the camper I couldn't get the heat to come on so two hunters were really wet and decided to scout for the next time we get to go. Man there is some beautiful country to hunt there. If I knew that the weather was going to be like I would have taken the second hunt. Oh well still had a good time.

Of the years I have hunted there I have hunted mainly the south side. It's kind of hard to find a place by yourself. Next time I go I am going to find a spot to myself on the north end. I hate when I set up and there are people still coming through. Oh well, what do you do? I think that is the only way deer were moving is because people are pushing them. Every year on the south side I find a good thick place were the deer will head once they are pushed, I see deer but I also see alot of hunters. I find that good spot on the map and 10 other hunters also find it. Oh well, I will head to the north side next time.

I saw 5 from my stand and 2 were bucks, both small. Thursday was miserable. I spent a lot of time scouting for next year. I found a couple nice spots.

I was annoyed that all the road signs were down in camp. We drove up East Boundary and wanted to turn off at Lake Alot Rd. but there was no "street" sign. As a matter of fact I didn't see any street signs.

Roads were a TAD bit rough by Thursday evening. I think I'm STILL shaking.

Roads were terrible. The only road I seen that was marked was Cassino. The detailed map is easy to read but I wish they would throw up some signs. The small dots on the detailed map say they are trails but I see on some of them you can drive on making some of the hard to reach spots that much easier.

I am headed up to ripley for the second time there are two of us going. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good spot. Both of us going will practice qdm. I know my buddy will take a doe as I probaly will if it's not right away in the morning. Any help on some spots would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Next year i'm thinking about regestering for the archery youth hunt (i'll be 15) at Ripley. And I was woundering when and where I would sign up for it. Any info will help. thanks

bullzeyez61

I don't know the real reason why the roads aren't marked better for us civilians during the hunt but I think in general, they aren't marked so the troops have to learn navigation.

We're only there a handful of days out of the year so it might take some permission from the base/dnr for some volunteers to put up temps for the hunt. MDHA?

Thats all I could come up with.

How were the ticks for those of you that went up last weekend? Should I still plan on buying some of that spray?

No ticks. Only soaking rain then wind. The 208lb 8 point was taken in our camp on Thursday. It may have been the big one for the hunt as far a weight goes. Nice sized buck and probably scored around 120. Umbrellas were key.First time in Ripley and was impressed with the country. Slept in a tent and wasn't impressed with the rain, wind, and sometimes when I close my eyes I still hear the generators......

Im going up for the weekend hunt i cant wait. Ill give a post on how they did . The picture on my profile is of one i got back in "95" it weighed in at 196lbs. I usually hunt around Normandy and gettigsberg area. But in recent years it has been so crowded thinkin of trying some new spots , Any ideas ?

Quote:

I usually hunt around Normandy and gettigsberg area. But in recent years it has been so crowded thinkin of trying some new spots , Any ideas ?

Head North, I hunt the south side and I'm in a good spot, i see deer but I also see ALOT of hunters. I know the area off of Cassino has some good timber. Just remember, when you think you found a good spot on the map 20 others also have found the same spot. Find a secluded area and sit all day.

If you pick a spot on the map and you haven't been there then make sure you mark the mileage to find it. I'm 38 now and I've been going up since I was about 14. That was the first time I can remember where I didn't see any road signs.

It was a bit rough for us cause we were trying to go to a new spot that we had never tried before.

Quote:

How were the ticks for those of you that went up last weekend? Should I still plan on buying some of that spray?

No ticks for me either. Just rain, rain, and more rain. Then there was wind, wind, and more wind. Terrible hunting conditions. People were walking around and pushing deer so I seen some on stand. Key is to sit all day and let the people walking around push deer to you. Good luck this weekend!! Shot a biggun!!

Heading up Friday. Can't wait! The weather forecast is looking perfect. Not sure yet what camper we are bringing but I will have a maroon Tahoe with a Crestliner sticker in the back window. Stop by and say hi.

Nels

Going Friday after work it's only about a 45 minute drive for me, or less. I'll be in the red F-250 that looks like an F-150 & pulling a white trailer house, err fish house, but it looks a lot like a trailer house. (7 X 20)

Does anyone know if they were selling the good maps there when you guys were there. I would like to get a new one if they have them.

There are selling the good maps there at the archery association bus and the building right next to it. $10 for a map. They also have free coffee and hot chocolate and hot dogs, burgers and sloppy joes for a real good price.

I will be going down some time friday morning. I will be in a marrone chev extended cab, with muskie and duck stickers in the window. Stop by and share some of those secret spots. smile.gif

Quote:

Stop by and share some of those secret spots.

It'll cost ya at least a couple of beers for each GPS coordinate and no gaurantees. grin.gif

Nels

Nels, I'm going up this weekend for the first time. How many beers is it per gps coordinance?

Uh huh, trying to soften me up with that old "this is my first time" line. grin.gif For you my American friend...I give you really good deal.

In all seriousness, It would be fun to meet some fellow FMers and share some stories. I've hunted Ripley for many many years and shot quite a few deer there but never scored on a big Ripley buck yet so not sure if you would even want my old spots.

Nels

My buddy and I will be getting to line about 9:00PM Friday. I'm driving a 98 Chev pickup with topper. Pewter in color with a star of life sticker and fire dept maltese cross sticker on topper door. Stop by and say hi, would love to meet some of you and talk smart for a bit....plenty of time to kill in line, anyway, lol

Dustin

Quote:

My buddy and I will be getting to line about 9:00PM Friday. I'm driving a 98 Chev pickup with topper. Pewter in color with a star of life sticker and fire dept maltese cross sticker on topper door. Stop by and say hi, would love to meet some of you and talk smart for a bit....plenty of time to kill in line, anyway, lol

Dustin

That is a long way back to say "hi". Maybe Sunday. wink.gif

Well it started out as a wet day the 1st day of our hunt. We went to our normal spot about 11 miles up on the east side and sat until 10:00 a.m. When we got down and started looking around we found little to no sign in our normal hot spot so we decided to look for a new spot. After driving around for about a hour we decided to head back to camp and put on some new cloths for the afternoon hunt. We went back out and found a new spot but only seen one doe and two fawns that night. The next morning I told the boys that we would sleep in and let the line clear out before heading in. We drove around for about an hour and decided to try a spot. We did get 100 yards for the truck and jumped 3. I told my son and a buddy that they should just sit on this opening that we found and I would take a look around for some stand spots. When I was gone they seen 1 six and 8 does and fawn in about 45 minutes. I found three spots that looked good so I went back and got the boys so we could set up our stands. We were in the stands about 45 minutes and my son shot a fawn and I shot this 197 pound eight point. Just when I thought that we were going to call the Ripley hunt a wash out. Just goes to show that you never know what is going to happen.

DSC00209.jpg