• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Didya ever forget...

Scott M

Did you ever forget your release? Happened to me tonight in my haste to get into a new spot. I only had 2 hour to hunt it.

It ended up being a good news/bad news situation.

The bad news was I forgot my release. I also had one contact roll up under my eyelid with no way to get it out.

The good news is I saw deer in those two short hours. I passed on two does, one a fawn. It's a riverbottom site that looks SUH-WEET! I think I'll be able to fill the freezer at this location, and maybe a nice buck will come by, who knows.

I'm gonna try some pheasant hunting tomorrow but I think I will be up early to try this spot-with glasses. I'm sick of my contacts causing me problems in the field. I should also get a bow sling because getting up this tree is brutal.

Anybody ever forget their release? I read a good story last year before rifle opener about a guy packing everthing but the kitchen sink and he grabbed the wrong size cartridges on the way up to his cabin. I guess forgetting things happens to everybody at least once. I forgot my boots one time I was heading for Mille Lacs on opener and it rained like Noah was predicting a flood. Forgetting things always seems to happen to me. That's why whenever I take a trip I have to make a list-so I can pack it all up and so I make sure it all comes back with me.

I don't usually forget things, I almost always put on my release at the truck. The contact thing is understandable. Tonight I was looking behind me and out pops my right contact, right at 6:00, I was done, and not too happy about it. However, I'll take the chance, I hated it when my glasses would fog up. This is a first for me, I've never had a contact malfunction. Funny I would read this post right after it does. grin.gif

I caary a extra release in my fanny pack and always wrap the other around the wrist before I leave. I once forgot but has the extra in my fanny pack. Great to have 1 extra along just incase you break the other.

I always have an extra along as well. I usually have one in my fanny pack and one around the limb of my bow that way I cannot forget it!

oh the joys of shooting fingers. although i have forgot things before, but nothing you can't usually pick up at the small town hard ware store for 1.5x what you paid at home. now i am lucky enough to do the majority of my hunting 10 minutes from home, so if i forgot something i am out 30 minutes tops.

This brings up a sour subject for me. About 5 years ago when i was in College, I got out of class hurried the 30 minutes to my hunting spot, ( 2 days before gun season, Rut in full swing) Snowed the night before and starting up again

Got to my parking spot in kind of a hurry. go in back to get my bow and my release is no where in sight. Look franticly for 5 + minutes and say forget it. Not much time to hunt and 30 minute walk.

While in stand with about 30 minutes of shooting time left. i hear a grunt. Huge 10 pointer plus comes chasing a doe 25 yards from my stand perfect broadside shot.

Using fingers, Draw, Release, Shoot over the top. confused.gif

Buck runs back to one of his scrapes 45 yards away behind trees. starts diggin it up. I hit my grunt call and get his attention. He comes charging at me so i have to swing all the way around in my stand.

Stops Pees 15 yards away, Draw, WIth fingers. Release.

I knick his rack with my arrow and he takes off into the woods. frown.gif

Get back to the truck dissapointed as can be. putting my bow back i turn a hat over < and there is my release. mad.gif

get home and try shooting with fingers and see that i shoot very high and right.

Needless to say i have a backup release in my pack at all times.

So to answer your question, YES i have forgotten my release.

And the contact problem, I had problems with contacts for years, they would dry out, If i wore my glasses they would fog up.

I got lasik a year and 2 months ago and it was the best thing that i have done in my life. I have 15/20 vision in my right, shooting eye, and 20/20 in my left.

Look into the payment plans and get it done, Makes everything in life a little easier.

This is my first year bow hunting and I go thru a mind checklist every time I go out and I have my backpack so loaded up that I feel if I ever fell over backwards I would look like a turtle on his shell.

Still haven't forgot anything I needed yet, except on a real warm day I was a little short on water.

One thing a buddy told me was to pick up a release and toss it in my backpack, just in case, so I haven't forgot that yet, just forgot to put it on one morning right away and a doe showed up while I was trying to dig it out of my backpack. Now it goes on right away.

i shot my first deer with a bow this year after i forgot my release in my truck and i wasn't about to walk the 1 mile back to get it. i had a big doe walk by my stand at 20 yards so i just used my fingers and still double lunged her she went a whole 20 yds and dropped. so yes i did forget my release once, but it did not matter cause i was going to kill that deer with it or without it.

I keep my release velcroed around the limb of my bow. when i get done shooting or hunting the first thing i do is strap it on the limb.

I'm another one who forgot ONCE. Plus I misplaced my arm guard ONCE and that one cost me the biggest buck of my life when the string slapped my sleeve.

I have an extra of both in my pack permanately now. I can forget a bottle of water or a call, but not that stuff!

I forgot and left my arrows in the truck once. I was in a hurry, and left my hip quiver sitting on the tailgait. tongue.gif Now I have a bow mounted quiver

I wear a large fanny pack that carries all my accessories: release, deer call, small flashlight, cover up scent, extra head cover, #307 scent, etc. The only time that anything comes out of my pack is when I'm in the tree. It also goes back in the pack while I'm still in the tree.

Dropping a glove or hat sucks too. Or getting up in your stand and realizing your rope to pull your bow up is tangled around the ladder or a branch.

Forgot my release once. It was at home 20+ miles away. Went & sat on stand without my bow, was hunting with a buddy. Saw deer, but not in range, so nothing hurt. Release always goes in the case beside the bow now. I put it on when heading out for evening hunts & put it in my right cargo pocket on the pants when heading out in the am. I'm usually going to add clothes & gloves when I get to the stand, & you can't shoot then anyway.

Dropped a hooded sweatshirt, which knocked the backup arrow off the stand just this weekend. I left them there until I got down. I had the bow haul string come unclipped once while using my climber. It was cold that morning, but I'm still surprised that tree didn't start on fire. After two ups & one down on the climber in 5 minutes & as much as I was fuming about the blankety blank string it was a little warm there. I was dying to yell I was so torqued.

I also carry a large backpack with everything I need (and lots I probably don't). All my stuff just lives there through the entire season so I don't forget to bring anything, but I have been on stand several times and realized I haven't put on my armguard or release. blush.gif

I forgot the clip to my gun one day for rifle hunting. 20 mile ride to where I hunted. Luckily, I had extra bullets in the back-pack, but my bolt action was a single shot that day...(not that anyone should need more than one shot to get the job done...)

steve

I hunt about 3 hours north of st. cloud. One time, I forgot my bow, and didnt realize it until 3 and half hours after I was at my cabin. Pretty embarrassing. Luckily I had another buddy leaving st. cloud later in the day, and I was able to catch him just before he left to grab my bow for me. After that, I realized I had mis-placed all of my broadheads, so I drove 45mins to buy new ones. That next week, I found them in a pocket of my hunting back pack. I really felt like an (Contact Us Please) then! Thats what hunting does to ya though...

I went up to my cabin about 3 weeks ago.. and had all my clothes, stands.. ect... no release... no bow... no arrows.. LOL

so deitz, the question is did you get one! I guess i have done the opposite. all the bow accesories were there, just no socks, camo, boots, or warm clothes at all. went out in blue jeans, grey t-shirt, and white k-swiss shoes. After watching my buddy crap over the edge of his stand, and me shivering to death from being wet and cold, it was time to go. No deer that night, if ya didn't already guess ooo.gif

I ended up calling my wife who was home... and had her meet me half way.. wasted about 2 hours for each of us.... and NO, I didn't get a deer that night.. LOL

I'd forgotten about this, but my first bow deer was the morning of duck opener one year, when it was still noon opener of course. I went up to hunt with paceman. I'd forgotten most of my camo & I think maybe my hunting boots too. Seems like I was wearing a pair of old straight green coveralls that happened to be in my vehicle with a hooded camo sweatshirt over it & pair of tennis shoes. I didn't have a knife or anything, had to borrow one of his to gut the deer, after I woke up his folks to find out where he was milking cows. I don't remember how I got there, maybe his Mom gave me a ride. I shot it right away first thing in the morning as soon as it got light. He'd dropped me off & wasn't coming back to get me until 9:30 or 10:00. I think I was in the barn at 7:30. I was a little excited.