• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

type of slugs

lient

I was looking through all the different brands and types of slugs to shoot, and was just wondering what you guys are shooting for sabots?

I've tried the sabot rounds, but have found the Brenneke Golds to be a better round out of my Super X2.

That doesn't mean I won't try going back to a Sabot. I just prefer to stick with what's been working for me.

It depends on your gun. I'd probably give the Hornady SST's a try first, but you have a lot of choices. Find one that patterns well in your gun. I would also recommend that you shoot 2 3/4 inch slugs, and not buy the 3 inch magnums. The 3 inch shells have been proven to be less accurate. The kick is also just that much worse with 3 inch magnums.

If your shooting a rifled barrel you should spend the money and shoot sabots. If your shooting a smooth barrel I'd recommend shooting the Brenneke's.

Ryan

I'm using an 870 with rifled slug for the first time. I put Hornady SST's 5 rounds through it this weekend. 3 at 50 yards and 2 at 100 yards and they were very accurate. I've heard they are good slugs, just stuck with what I was told. We'll see on the 3rd if they hit that target. cool.gif

that was some decent shooting with those slugs sandmannd. We'll have to get up there again and do some hunting again. We'll definitely go deer hunting up there next year.

my new 11-87 likes the lightfeild slugs the best tryed 5 dif brands of slugs and the lightfeilds were the best for me.

Hornady SST's are the way to go. They are very accurate, and the two deer I have shot dropped in their tracks. However, we have recovered both slugs in the opposite sholder. Great expansion, but it didn't go all the way through. I have only hunted slugs for 2 years, but 2 deer on the ground where they last stood isn't bad.

I have a question about shooting slugs, do you have to take out your choke tube?

Don't take out your choke tube, you will ruin the threads, if possible put in an Improved Cylendar or Modified. Try not to use a full. I'm sure people shoot full, but it seems most shoot with the IC or M.

Here is my question: I rifle hunt in northern MN on opener. This year i bought the multi-zone because i am going to hunt the second weekend at home in southern mn. I do not have a rifled barrel for my shot gun. What are the best slugs for shooting smooth bore and what type of performance can i expect? i am going to put a few threw my shot gun this weekend and see but if anyone has any ideas for slugs that would be great.

I tried some of the Federal Tru-Balls through my sons Stoeger P350 at 60 yards. They performed well shooting through a Imp Cyl choke tube.

Another slug to try in a smooth bore would be the Brenneke K.O. But make sure you get the K.O. in the rifled slug and NOT the Sabot K.O.

Remington has the Slugger that many people have shot for years on end and have taken countless deer.

Thee best thing about the Rifled slugs for the smooth bore guns is the affordibility. Most of these will cost you $5 or less for a box of 5. This makes it easier to buy several different brands to see what shoots the best.

It's a small price to pay for an ethical shot.

I've shot smoothbore for a long time. The best grouping i got was using the Brennekee K.O.'s. at 50ydr they grouped about 2"s. Took a nice 14pt @ 85yrds with one shot 2 seasons ago.

I've also heard good things about the Truball slugs.

Winchester Super Xs worked best out of my smoothe bore 870. 2.75 or 3 inch. They are pretty fast and accurate. I switched to a rifled barrel with a scope and I now use the Remington Supreme Core-lokt Ultras. Flat at 50 and 100 yds and accurate. I tried the Hornadies and they were good and 50 but a foot high at 100 yds.