• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
livintofish

? for ya Hitman

livintofish

Do you ever hunt any of the wma's around you for pheasants? Just wondering if there are any birds in that area at all. Also are there any other state or pheasants forever spots around.

Dahitman44

There are a few spots but there are not a lot of birds in our area. That being said, you can find some near the Downer area. You have to work pretty hard for them or have some secret spots. I have a couple, but they are not very good, but better than some.

The Downer area would be a good place to start. I wish I could be more positive, but there just isn't much around here. It is certainly better than it was 10 years ago or even five years ago, but it has a long way to go.

Any other Qs, let me know.

Hitman

livintofish

Thanks for the info Hit.... just trying to get an idea,I did a little hunting with a buddy around downer on opener and we got 2, had access on some private land...to many crops up frown.gif. Just thought I'd ask aboout the area North of hw 10. Thanks

vitalshot5

Livin.....try down the breckenridge area....there is public land aroung there and have quite a few birds.....doesn't seem to get hunted much either....It's definatly not south dakota hunting but there is a fair amount of birds.

eyefever

There is also tons of WMA's around Fergus, imo the further south you go the better. I usually end up by starbuck.

livintofish

Quote:

the further south you go the better.

This is kinda what I figured, just want someplace close that I can hit on a weekday once and a while so SW MN is out of the ? grin.gif Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

gonefishin11

livin... are you an NDSU guy?

if so, go west. You can drive 30 minutes west and be on way more birds than you would going into MN. I used to go out after class (or during class time...) at least once a week and get my three birds.

Dahitman44

GF --

You are right on the money. Going to ND is far better than hitting the few birds in MN. Southern MN is WAY better than western or Northern MN but ND and SD are much better than anything else.

livintofish

Yeah I am an NDSU guy, guess I always thought you had to go pretty far to get into pheasants there. Can either you or Hit suggest any "general" good ND spots, that are somewhat close, weekends are for ducks. Duck season has just begun for me... That way I can leave all those MN birds for you guys, and shoot an extra one. grin.gif

livintofish

Gone fishin, Are you a bison as well? We should head out and hit up some ND pheasants some time.

svttom01

Get a PRIM map for the Moorhead area from the DNR and go from there. There are a few spots about 15 minutes SW from Hawley that have birds, but couldn't tell you if it's worthwile. When I was hunting the D.L. area for duck opener I saw four hens and one rooster flying near some public WMAs and Pheasants Forever land in the Audubon/Hawley areas. Good luck!

Dahitman44

tom 01 --

Don't get me wrong -- there is land but they get hit so hard that after the first 10 minutes of opener that usually about it.

We have been trying to increase the population but it is a slow process.

gonefishin11

Livin...

I am a former bison. I graduated in May and am stuck in the cities now, but I have a great job so I can't complain too much. Go to the large sports on 45th (I don't know if I can print the name here) and get a free PLOTS guide. There is alot of stuff less than an hour straight S, SW and W.

Also, don't be afraid to go north of I-29 in the Valley City area. Good amount of birds, alot of public land, within an hour drive and WAY less hunters go North of the freeway. Also, don't be afraid to talk to farmers. Alot of hunters post for deer hunting but don't mind as much about pheasant hunting, especially after deer season. Find out their favorite case of beer and some will put you on more land than you can hunt in a day.