• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Adrians--10-18-07

Hey fellas!!

Im not sure how this all worked out, but... You know "that call" you get to go on a week-end fishing trip, but its last minute, and you never can work it out? Well, somehow the stars aligned just right!! Got the call, and actually have a 5 day week-end! So, i know this is very last minute, but any advise would be great.

Heres the situation:

My buddy's daddy and some business friends all go up to adrians each year for eyes. They bring 1 boat for every 2 fishermen. Bets are made, trash talking is done, and the contest begin! Last last couple years my friend has fished with "who-ever is left", and usually out of a small, ill-equiped boat...When he called, he told me since they end up jigging for most of the fish, and he needs to pull his "big boat" off lake pepin anyway, that he's trailer the big girl all the way up, beats sleeping in a romm full of guys! As we will be anchoring and fishing from his carver, and able to aslo sleep/eat etc, right there, we should have all the fishing we can handle.

SO, lol, with thaqt said, i need the usuall "point in the right direction". I have only fished LOTW on hard water, and dont have a clue where to start. Depth? jig color? size? locations?

Im sure that people at adrians, where we are going out of, can tell us, but we dont want to HAVE TO fish with the other groups coming w/us, and im sure they will all end up at what ever spot they say to go to at adrians.

Thanks for the help guys/gals...if you see a big carver anchored with to handsome fella's, stop by and have a beer!

Sir Lips: Hauling a big boat is not as bad aqs it may seen. I pull my SportCRAFT back and forth from LOTW every year. Adrian's is a good place to get a slip or Riverbend is also a good place. As for sleeping on board, well the river is quit noisy and lately the current is quite swift. You can get a room very reasonable and the beds are better in my estimation. I have a place at wheelers, so I sleep at home.. Fishing! If you have a big boat, I'd try the lake, outside the gap. All along Pine Island is good out to 25 feet. If you are on the water by 8AM, then I'd suggest you follow the Guide boats. They have to catch fish and usually know where their biting. Sportsman's resort runs several boats and they are on Marine channel #5. the rest of the guides hang out on Channel #82. I was up a week ago and we did good anchored and jigging with shinner's. Everyday is diferent and if the wind is not blowing hard, then anchoring is a good way to go. Have fun and catch a limit!!! Kaz

Right now the river is dirty and swift I would reccommend to go out on the lake and find some clean water. I have a very good source that tells me the fish are really hard to catch in the river right now. Hopefully the wind wont blow this weekend, start at 18 ft and work your way out to 21 ft Good Luck! Bring lots of shiners!

Well, thanks for the advise, pink/white/gold?

Will let you all know how it went, hopefully i have to go buy a cord (lost old one) for the digital camera, so i can post pictures.

.....and Chartruese.

I would'nt overlook the river. Fished upstream again Tuesday with pretty good results, biggest a mere 26+'r is all though. Water is up and current is moving good but some big fish have been pulled this past week. Debris was'nt as bad Tuesday as it was last Thursday when I caught that big one pictured, and it did'nt seem all that dirty to me, last week it was a bit cloudier than Tuesday. I know for sure of at least another half dozen large fish pulled since then including a 33+ incher! Maybe not as easy catching as on the lake right now but there are some BIG fish in the river to be had, you just have to adjust and fish em a bit different location-wise when the water jumps. Crest had gone thru the Manitou so the river should be on a slow fall barring any major rains, but it looks like we're gonna get an inch or 2 over the next coupla days maybe.

Now with that said I was speaking with a friend last nite who's a six pack pilot and they are killing them westside of Pine and Morris washout, about 14 fow. Over the past 2 days running half day trips he said he's seen well over 250+ fish with their largest going 23 inches.

Camping on the boat sounds like a good time. Maybe anchor for the nite on a Sturgeon hole and pull a couple of those things while you're up too?

Regards....fiskyknut

We just made it back...good times, good times.

Very rough conditions the first day and a half. (thursday eve, friday all day)

Started the fishing with some folks that had been up for a week already, they sent us out past the gap about a mile...Can you say HIGH WATER? holy cow, dont know what we where thinking, but the 5-6 footers pounded the ole carver pretty good. Fisg=hed for about an hour, somehow managed 1 fish, 18 inches.(gold and pink 1oz jig)Made a run at the river were the conditions were easier, if you could find the bottom, missed the bite by about 30 minutes, and ended the night with just the 1.

Friday AM..windy windy windy, and rain rain rain.went to the river and thought we had the right idea, as 2 launches pulled up next to us, on a rock pile, about 30 minutes later. The most excitment came from watching a launch hook up to a big sturgeon for an hour, only to loose it. P.M. had us hit the river side of the gap (to avoid the waves, current...NO FISH. However we did find some local talent, and they were biting! smile.gif

Saturday was a good day to fish. Over cast and no wind. Started out as the first boat out in the 16 foot water past the gap 1 mile. Did well, kept 12-14 fish w/ 4 guys fishing, and threw back and missed several others. largest boated was 24 inches. 30 minutes after anchoring we had about 60 boats on top of us. Most catching a fish here and there.

After a noon hour nap, headed to 16ft at the east side of morris gap..ran into a huge school of small saugers, picked up a couple 16-18 walleyes. heaed back to the "group" out past the gap...no fish, pulled anchor and went to the west side inside the gap...FISH ON! we did very well here, caught a few big fish, lost a monster at the boat, and kept the rest of our limit. Most fish caught while every one else was leaving the lake...60 boats drove by us, as we had the hottest fishing of the week-end..tisk tisk. (13 ft, gold and pink/ gold and chartruse 3/4oz)

Sunday...HUNG OVER frown.gif do to finding more local talent at the resorts...

All in all the fishing was good, when the weather was good. Heard the best bite in the AM was at morris point, and think the best evening bite is in the gap.

Good luck guys, thanks for the advise, and have a safe fall.

Thanks for the report lips!

Hope you guys remember'd the rain coats!!!

Ahh the weekend is over....Back to fishin.

Maybe pull some plugs today lakeside???