• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Black Cloud---NASTY----Pic included

FrontenacPike

Well I found this morning one bad thing about using the black cloud. This poor teal was shot this morning at about 20 yards with a 3inch BC. Time to put the BC away till we get some northern migrators.

Blackcloud1.jpg

BlackCloud.jpg

hmmm...i shot one at about 10-15 yards and i only got a 2" hole. I do concur though, the bc is nasty. If the only the dang shells would not jam.

sometimes i almost have to slam the stock of the gun on the ground to get it to spit out. this only with federal shells though. really makes me mad cause the cloud is deadly.

I have done the same to a wood duck, only I was using Kent Fasteel! Actually we did that to about three of them. If they are that close and you hit em hard, any shell will probably do the same thing. Just my 2 cents!!

Thats odd. I shot through 8 boxes of it in canada without a single jam. I was cleaning my gun every night tho. That stuff is dirty. Love the round other than that wink.gif It was not doing that damage to the mallards and pintail we were shooting and some were right on top of us.

Might be worth your while to pattern your gun with that stuff. Might need a wider choke to avoid ruining the meat like that. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Did you have to pull him off the bottom or was he still swimin? grin.gif

I use BC with an improved cilinder and haven't had any problems with blowing ducks apart. You can see the difference in the wound holes though.

He actually landed in some bull rushes. Since that day, i've packed the BC away until I get a chance to pattern it out. I'm thinking with my Mod choke, I'm shooting a softball sized pattern at em. Probably end up going with an IC.

I get the same result shooting most shells thru my PatternMaster. I suggest head shooting, and also some smaller shot. Note:not recemended to shoot BC thru a PatternMaster

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up throwing the IC choke in, put the pattern on paper and much better. Since then I blasted through my box of BC and haven't bought them since. I went back to old reliable...Kent FS. It just seems to me, they aren't worth the extra ching

Here is what it looks like when you hit them in the head with black cloud. This was also in the 18-20 yard range...I thought maybe that big black cloud wad had done the damage? This widgeons head was completely gone. Seems like too tight a pattern for being out that far.

victimofblackcloud800x6fd4.jpg

Quote:

Here is what it looks like when you hit them in the head with black cloud. This was also in the 18-20 yard range...I thought maybe that big black cloud wad had done the damage? This widgeons head was completely gone. Seems like a too tight a pattern for being out that far.

victimofblackcloud800x6fd4.jpg

I imagine it was an easy retrieve?

Black Cloud--the two stupidest words ever uttered in the duck hunting world.

Anyone who thinks blowing giant holes in birds is cool or at all respectable has no spot in my blind or boat. (I know you didn't say it was cool Kingfisher, just saying how I feel)

Quote:

Black Cloud--the two stupidest words ever uttered in the duck hunting world.

Anyone who thinks blowing giant holes in birds is cool or at all respectable has no spot in my blind or boat. (I know you didn't say it was cool Kingfisher, just saying how I feel)

I don't want to blow big holes into birds but what I do want to quick clean kills.

Sartell - It is not about blowing big holes in birds at all so please get off your soap box. wink.gif Like KC said it is about quick clean kills. I have taken a ton of ducks with black cloud this year and have ruined 0 birds. I formally used Kent FS and it is a decent shell but how many times do you hit a bird only to watch it keep flying? I suppose you will say 0…but that was not my experience. (and please do not accuse me of sky busting because I don’t)

I haven't lost a bird yet this year and have shot plenty...came close to losing one ringer and one mall, but ended up chasing them down in the boat. Otherwise the dog has come through clutch on all birds not dead on impact.

Become a good shot, take good shots, and have a swatter load ready in case one lands swimming and you shouldn't have a problem crippling or losing birds. Not on a soapbox here, just letting you know that there is an alternative to a spendy choke or gimmick load. I shot Fasteel in the past and am convinced that Federal makes a better load overall. Got a case of 3" to cycle through the ol' 870 this year and haven't had a problem yet.

Good luck.

Wow I would imagine the marketing director behind the "Black Cloud" got one heck of a raise. You see it all the time, some ammo company slaps a nifty new name on another STEEL SHOTGUN SHELL and suddenly the stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. Black Cloud certainly isn't the first shotgun load to blast the head off a duck and it wont be the last. And I am sorry I too would like to have my dog bring back eatable birds, nothing cool about a bloody pile of feathers.

Quote:

Wow I would imagine the marketing director behind the "Black Cloud" got one heck of a raise. You see it all the time, some ammo company slaps a nifty new name on another STEEL SHOTGUN SHELL and suddenly the stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. Black Cloud certainly isn't the first shotgun load to blast the head off a duck and it wont be the last. And I am sorry I too would like to have my dog bring back eatable birds, nothing cool about a bloody pile of feathers.

i love it when people talk about something they have no idea . tell me, how many birds have you killed with BC and how many boxes have you used. it is steel and fasteel just like all other STEEL SHOTGUN SHELLS but its actually the design of the WAD in the shell. im not selling the stuff but i believe in it, i have a few laying around, come over and ill show you how it patterns at 10 all the way up to 60 yards and then you tell me if its just another shell.

Quote:

i love it when people talk about something they have no idea . tell me, how many birds have you killed with BC and how many boxes have you used. it is steel and fasteel just like all other STEEL SHOTGUN SHELLS but its actually the design of the WAD in the shell. im not selling the stuff but i believe in it, i have a few laying around, come over and ill show you how it patterns at 10 all the way up to 60 yards and then you tell me if its just another shell.

...Black Cloud Ammo Pro-staffer???

Is it the design of the wad or is it the design of the pellets? The BBs are not perfect little globes, they have those nice little fins on them that are "supposed" to really rip into a bird. Apparently they do. wink.gif

somewhat off the subject, but in a way related. In all reality, why do we need all these new fangled super duper powered non toxic or steel shells that shoot 50 to 60 yards when you can know your limitations and let them come in a little closer. It's one thing to shoot a duck/goose at 50 or 60 yards. Personally, I get more enjoyment when I can call a bird in and take it at less than 30 yards or let them land within 10 yards. What ever happened to letting them come in a little closer? Where's the sportsmanship in shooting birds at 50+ yards? It seems that some are more concerned with bringing home a limit that it seems that they'll shoot at just about anything and at just about any range. Besides guys who are out duck hunting just about every day of the season, there aren't too many people that can identify a duck at over 45 yards. If you can't ID it, don't shoot it. I'm all for making clean kills and making sure the shot counts, but for me, that means letting them come in a little closer.

Quote:

Is it the design of the wad or is it the design of the pellets?

Its actually both.

Quote:

Personally, I get more enjoyment when I can call a bird in and take it at less than 30 yards or let them land within 10 yards. What ever happened to letting them come in a little closer? Where's the sportsmanship in shooting birds at 50+ yards?

i totally agree with you kingfish about the shooting at 50+ yards.

but i am not sure about the other part.... if you are shooting ducks off the water at 10 yards, i'm gonna have to question the sportsmanship of that as well.

Quote:

but i am not sure about the other part.... if you are shooting ducks off the water at 10 yards, i'm gonna have to question the sportsmanship of that as well.

I never said I was shooting ducks off the water at 10 yards. I believe I said I was letting them land at 10 yards. If it's a duck that I'd rather not shoot, like a coot, or a hen, I'll let it land. That's what I meant by that. Sorry if that was confusing.