• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Should have went fishing

Random guy

Well every now and then a guy wakes up and thinks “I should go fishing today” Yesterday was such a day and I really should have went fishing instead of doing the right thing and trying to get something productive done.

Woke up at 4am and stumbled out to the tractor, and by 5 am the throttle was cranked up, hot black smoke rolling into the cool night air and lights blazing into the darkness as I dropped the plow for the first cut of the day and set a course right for the belly of hell. crazy.gif

tractor1mq9.jpg

As I sat two thirds of the way down the first pass across the field I looked out the window into the darkness at the mud piled up to the bottom of the door and thought, “Yup, should have went fishing today.” confused.gif

After rounding up neighboring farmers, we spent the morning breaking cables pulling with multiple other tractors only to realize we needed something bigger…should have went fishing. confused.gif

After a phone call to All Seasons Contracting a excavator was in route from 60 miles away to dig out may latest trophy…should have went fishing. confused.gif

digginoutqm0.jpg

tractor3kc3.jpg

freewo0.jpg

By dusk we had a tractor on high ground and big hole in the middle of the field, all that was left was to start washing the mud off of everything, of course this is left for the guy that got everything muddy…should have went fishing. confused.gif

dirtydayce8.jpg

So the next time you wake up and think "I should go fishing today", just go. It will be cheaper in the end.

My mommy always told me, "If your going to do something, do a good job of it" Well Jon, you can be proud of yourself for doing such a good job, just think you did it so well none of your neighbors could un-do it! smirk.gif. A few years ago I was helping an older farmer out combining, I drove his brand new 4 wheel drive combine in a soft spot, looked simular to your situation, although the combine didnt come out so easy, there was a quite a bit of damage. He never asked me to help him again! I wonder why grin.gif

On a 2+2 nonetheless. I'm not even mad, I'm impressed! grin.gifgrin.gif

I got my old man's Versatile 4WD tractor stuck so bad one time it was dug in halfway up the tires. Had to call the co-op and bring out a terra-gator to pull it out. I learned the difference that day between black soil and really black soil (dry soil versus wet soil smile.gif )

Quote:

I've seen it deeper.
blush.gif

Boy when you plow you realy plow jonny!!!!!!!!

were you driving when it was deeper kelly p? smile.gif

Troy Pike

Wow that is absolutely incredible. I'm not much of a farm boy, so I don't know if it is common to dig the tractors in that deep, and I know I've never seen anything like it! Could you see China at the bottom of the hole yet?

I slid it off a dike into a flooded paddy while pulling a 12 yard scraper that was full. Scraper completely under water and the back half of the tractor under water. The same guy with the backhoe had dug me out 8 or 10 times through the years. He says i'm the best laughs and entertainment he gets. grin.gif He's the same guy that has his backhoe through the ice on our website.

Last year a tractor about the same size but on Quadtracks went down and it took 4 days for the backhoe to get him out.

That is actaully the way it is up here "living the dream". This area is full off bottomless peat soil that goes a long ways down. Somedays you get to see it first hand.

As for the green machines you don't see them around these parts very often. To heavy so they sink and if they don't sink the frames snap as soon as one end or the other starts dropping, the green ones need to stay in the corn fields. Case IH is about the only tractors that will pull off lots of horse power without the sinking effect...unless you push them into a bottomless hole like I tried.

Jon, Parts of the Red River Valley have soil with similar qualities. I knew a guy who tried to get out too early in the spring and sunk it. He sunk his second big rig tying to retrieve it. Two neighbors followed suit. They had five tractors buried before they got some heavy-duty towing rig and enough cable to reach from the nearest road. One very expensive day. tongue.gif The worst I ever buried was an 'M' Farmall, which shows you how old I am. It took a big tractor and a Cat to get me out.

I think we fixed the problem...we now have a new case that ways 10k more? confused.gif Guess just give it more juice next time...if they let me back in the cab again. grin.gif

Hey Jon, I E-mailed you a couple pictures to look at the next time you're feeling down about the great tractor incident. One shows a tractor occurance and the other is the end result of and encounter with machinery. grin.gif Off-hand, I'd say you came off pretty light. grin.gifgrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I work in Ag Lending. I hope you dont mind, but I sent your post along w/ the message "we have the easy end of the Ag Business".

Everyone sure enjoyed them, thanks!

No problem. grin.gif I will catch flack about that for a awhile. Although the hired help did the same thing four days later, takes the heat of me a little.

...I think we got enough rain.

• 2 weeks later...

YA I want to, but the field work and getting ice gear /fishouses ready has other plans for me. Give one of the walters a Jonny P kiss for me!

Wow, now that's a sinker!!! Reminds me of sinking a 26 ton pea combine on the first cut one night when I drove crew for Green Giant. Not a glint of water or paddy dirt anywhere. Took a Case like that and a 10-wheeler semi tow winch to get it out. But I didn't need to backhoe out a driveway! Like you experienced.... guess who had to clean out the head! crazy.gif