• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dealing with fishermen

Here is the situation - I set up on a small point extending out into a lake that is approximately 1300 acres and 3 miles long. I had a string of 12 divers extending out 50 yards from shore, 24 mallards set up along the bank, 6 goose decoys off to the side, and a wind decoy set up as well. About 7:30 a boat pulls up to the point and the two guys in it start casting for muskies. They drift on by and I assume they will keep going, but just down wind of me they use their tiller to hold the location of the boat while they cast. They moved around that general area for the next hour before they left for the next point just upwind of me. Finally by myself I had my only opportunity at a solo duck but missed on three shots. And wouldn't you know it they didn't like their new point and rode the wind all the way back down to my point where they fished heavily for another 20 minutes. I called it a day at 9:30 since the birds quit flying and I had other commitments to get to.

They had to know I was there. When I walked out and stood in the decoys they would cast off the far side of the boat to avoid having to face me. What would others have done in this situation? Should I have said something? They certainly had countless other spots to fish other than the point where I was sitting for the morning.

Say something.. People need to get a clue. They were being rude. Plain and simple. You chose to take the high road (like Denny Green) which is commendable but they need to be told they are putting themselves in a dangerous situation. Had grandpa come flying by in his pontoon at 8 AM last saturday. Big lake, lots of room, Maybe he just liked me. grin.gif He did get an earful on his way by.

I try not to get involved to much in something that brings down either side of the two outdoor sports!

Maybe I am getting old, but cursing someone out just does not do it for me anymore! I used to do it quite bit and came to a point in my life were I realized I am not the center of the universe. What does the end result of road rage or lake rage get a person anyways? I feel stupid after I even come close to doing it nowadays.

I like to wave and smile! Call me a weirdo, but at the end of the day I look back and think I did the best as I could, to being a good human on this planet we call earth! Sappy? Yes!

I just hated being the jerk that ranted at someone for something stupid. We are all sportsmen and should work together.

No one owns the lake! If I were duck hunting and someone had to fish on the spot I was hunting, at this point in my life I would let that person have the spot and move else wares. As much as it would suck, but I would want to shoot some ducks, not argue and look at a fisherman!

In the end one can do what he would like and I am not saying what you would do is wrong, but it never seems to get my self anywere when I used to do it.! I look at it this way! What if the old guy in the pantoon was my grandfather or uncle! Bleak way to look at it, but what if?

This is my public service for the day! smile.gif

Good luck!

Let them know you are there and if they don't move that is their problem if there boat ends up with a bit of steel in it. wink.gif

They should move if you ask them to. If they do not I beleive that the CO can tiocket them for hunter harassment if they are actually fishing that close to you. I have psoke to guys fishing and they have generally moved on and I have never gotten into a shouting match with them. Ask nice and they may move on. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

There is nothing you can do. They were rude, and they new it. If you were rude back to them, you would make it worse.

Yelling and threatening them would make it worse 90% of the time. If they were "nice" guys, they would have moved in the first place.

They could complain too, stating you are in the best musky spot in the lake.

I have had that happen almost at least once every year while we are set up on a lake. Bass fisherman in our area. Most will leave if you speak up but one guy was stuborn a few years ago. After we dropped a passing mallard right next to his boat, he left while using a few choice words. I basically told him we warned you and you chose to stay. I'll never forget his reaction after the shot was fired!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Okay so my reply will be a little negative. They were wrong and could be held accountable for hunter harrassment.

How would they have felt if they were working the point, and you came out throwing decoys where they were casting? Not trying to be a jerk, but even though we need to share our resources we should also be able to enjoy them.

I really feel that people need to be accountable in all aspects of their lives, and feel sometimes we can change bad behavior by calling attention to it just like we do our kids.

I have to be honest they may have found some falling steel pellets landing in their direction.....Just my two cents. I am just two tired of inconsiderate people. I am different in that I get less laid-back as I am getting older.

Bryan

I just do not see any good in shooting a warning shot over another sportsman.

Call it my luck, but if I were to shot off rounds over a group of fisherman, I would probably end up wounding one of them. If I did not get arrested, I know I would be sued. Maybe you guys do not mind hiring a lawyer and going to court to defend your self over a self gratifying act. I sure as heck would not! In the end I would move. Why ruin a good day of hunting over a part of a lake everyone owns.

Oh my god, if something like this hit the papers or the evening news. You know the hunter would be the one to be strung up. That fisherman could of casted a musky lure right in your duck boat and called you and your mother every curse word in the book! But in the end the head lines would read “hunter shot at fisherman in boat” or “hunter wounded fisherman in a boat”. The fisherman would end up winning no matter what.

For one (and no offence intended) I do not think a good sportsman hunter would have the balls to shoot a round off in the direction of humans and if they did they should not be hunting in the first place.

Rule #1, do not point a unloaded or loaded gun at a human or in the direction of a human!

At least this is what I was taught in Firearms safety class!

I am not looking to be right, but am I not right? crazy.gif

My Dad, who fueled and nurtured my interest in hunting many years ago has a short time to live due to cancer. Spending time with him in the nursing home has been tough but also has brought up many memories we share.

This thread brought up one we had just laughed over the other night. Dad always either owned or leased sloughs. Many years ago we had leased up a dandy diver slough. We had all but a tiny stretch to ourselves. The fella that owned that stretch did not hunt and didn't care for the idea that we did. He would take a old fishing boat out and "troll" just on the outside of our dekes and yell profanities at us. It was somewhat comical as there were no fish in the slough and we could see his pole didn't even have line going out. After one of his fishing episodes Dad had left to go talk with the guy. He knocked on his door, met him with a big smile and proceeded to talk with the guy about our love for hunting and spending time with his boys. Didn't change the guys opinion about us hunting but he did leave us alone after that. Dad's way has always been to talk it out regardless of the issue.

Great story. Catch more flies with molasses than vinegar. I suppose that was in the days before C.O.'s salivated over writing hunter harassment tickets.

A very good point. Try to talk it out, as politely as possible.

If that doesn't work, move on.

My memory was of a lady on the lake with her dog in a canoe. It was the first day of duck hunting and she had no idea season was open. She scared up some mallards and I shot some...not facing her boat at all. I nearly gave her a heart attack!

I apoligized and she said she was going to go to shore and I told her "There is no one hunting over there and it is a beautiful day. No reason why we both can't enjoy it". And, we both did....

Good stories the both of ya! smile.gif

I never did touch on the "talk with them first", but I would try that approuch first on either end of the stick!

Also if I was fishing an area hunters were in, no matter how good of a fishing area, I would respect the hunter being there first and move on!

I would hate to get one of these pepper spray warnings! grin.gif

That would ruin a good day of fishing!

Quote:

I just do not see any good in shooting a warning shot over another sportsman.

If he is fishing in or extreemly near your duck spread, he is no sportsman. Call the C.O. if they do not leave. Personally I will just keep hunting and take any shot the ducks offer as long as the path behind the bird is clear. After that, its up to them if they want to continue to fishing that close to my setup. But thats just me. cool.gif

Wow.

Never, ever, for any reason take a shot that may have a possibility of a maybe chance that it could even think about coming anywhere near anyone else. The fact they were rude and inconsiderant and not very good sportsmen has nothing to do with the fact that you don't shoot anywhere near them.

The original poster was absolutely the bigger person in this case. Maybe a friendly wave and a "Good morning." would do the trick. If not, chalk the fellas up as rude and don't lower yourself to their level. Stay the better person. Maybe politely let them know they are ruining things for you. If that doesn't work then really nothing ethical will.

If you want to put a shot across someone's bow join the Navy. It's not just a job, it's an adventure.

A buddy asked me to hunt with him for the opener a few years ago out near st michael. It is a pretty big lake probably 300 acres. There is alot of bays and so forth. We were hunting one of the bays. Pretty much out of the way of the main lake. There is a small girl scout camp on the far side of the lake. There were about ten different groups of hunters in various spots of the lake. About 30 minutes after the opener. The girl scout leaders came over to us in a canoe and pretty much demanded that we quit hunting because they wanted to canoe the lake. We were actually hunting on the shore of my buddies uncles land. They started a huge agruement with us. And after we pretty much told them that we wouldn't shoot in the direction of there canoeing. They went around the whole lake to all the other hunters. After everyone refused to quit hunting. They sat out there calling us names, and kept yelling they were calling the DNR. While about 50 little girls were watching them. What would you do in that situation?

Quote:

They sat out there calling us names, and kept yelling they were calling the DNR. While about 50 little girls were watching them. What would you do in that situation?

I sure would'nt pepper spray them or put a round over thier canoes!!

I would offer to to call the DNR for them? And ask other hunters to join me in the the call. Find out what scout group they are with. No scout leaders can act like that in front of the children.

a friendly wave and a "good morning" only reinforces the (Contact Us Please)'s cluelessness in thinking that he isn't doing anything wrong

every year I end up having some clown start fishing too close to my setup...dumb people need to be educated by those smarter than them in the hunting and fishing world or they will never learn...even if they were aware of their actions they still need to hear it from you.

When I have been in your situation in the past, had I NOT said something to them I would have held it against myself for being a coward about it. Tell 'em to get lost! You were there FIRST and them being there RUINS your hunt...anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't deserve to partake in the outdoors. Period.

I'm not saying that you have to start out yelling...first, get their attention and then let 'em know that by fishing there they are wasting your time...if they don't leave, take it up a notch cool.gif Just don't threaten them or they could get you nailed for terroristic threats. If they're dbags about it and won't leave I'd call the CO and try to get 'em a hunter harassment citation.

Being the bigger man is fine and dandy if you like going home early and sitting on the couch instead of hunting on the weekend.

I hate to say it but I am glad this has happened to someone else. A few years back a man and women started fishing at the edge of my decoys. There was 3 of us hunting and what I find interesting is that just like the original poster, the guy driving the boat was always set up so his back was to us. I actually felt bad for his wife because she was forced to look at us. He hovered outside our dekes for about 15mn. and we decided to call it a day. Just then a drake mallard cut between the boat and the dekes and 3 people shot at it. At no time were the people in the line of fire but they were downwind so the boat driver got an earfull. Since they were gone before the drake hit the water I am guessing he got an earfull when he got home too. We didn't yell, didn't try to convince a jerk we were in the right we just did our thing. Everything worked out I just thought that it was a unique experience. Guess I was wrong.

Wow, I can't believe some of the things I'm hearing here. This is my first year hunting and haven't had to deal with some of this crap yet. But how does anyone think it's OK to shoot over someone or even in their direction? I would have said good morning and asked if they could move on since my deeks were out. If they don't move you can't do anything, there are a lot of worthless people out there. I never thought I would hear some of these things on this site. Please don't point a firearm at or above anyone, nothing is worth going to jail and beyond that it's not right.

My first time out a couple of weeks ago I had a guy shoot at a duck. He swung with his 3rd shot and went over my head. I about blew a nut. I would never fish near a hunter and I don't go near another fisherman. It's just common courtesy. Some folks just don't get it.

Let's not change the topic here. There is a HUGE difference between firing a shot in the direction of a boat to deter their actions versus taking a shot at a duck flying overhead. So far, nobody has suggested that shots should be fired directly at someone to scare them away, so why are people assuming that is what's being done?

In my original post, the fisherman sat downwind of me, anywhere from 80 to 100 yards away. Had a duck flown over me or out in front I would have shot. The unfortunate part is that the location of the fishermen was such that it prevented any ducks from even considering trying to work my decoys.

One thing that was mentioned that I hadn't thought of was to move my location. On that morning it wouldn't have made sense - 4 dozen decoys and only 1.5 hours to hunt - but in the future that is something I should keep in mind. I also agree now that I should have said something since they may have been oblivious to the fact that they were ruining my hunt.

Quote:

Let them know you are there and if they don't move that is their problem if there boat ends up with a bit of steel in it.

Quote:

I have had that happen almost at least once every year while we are set up on a lake. Bass fisherman in our area. Most will leave if you speak up but one guy was stuborn a few years ago. After we dropped a passing mallard right next to his boat, he left while using a few choice words. I basically told him we warned you and you chose to stay. I'll never forget his reaction after the shot was fired!!

Quote:

I have to be honest they may have found some falling steel pellets landing in their direction.....Just my two cents. I am just two tired of inconsiderate people. I am different in that I get less laid-back as I am getting older.

Bryan

Thats only from the first page of this thread! From three seperate posters!

Do what you guys want, I guess others and my self are wrong for seeing "The Wrong" in some of these duck hunters cure for your situation!

I just hope I am never on a lake with any of these guys, duck hunting or fishing! mad.gif

schr, really the only thing you can do is let them know they are ruining things for you and ask them to move on. Calm and polite is best. If people want to yell and scream then knock yourself out, I guess.

There are people that will say,"Look at those clowns, they're fishing right at the edge of my decoys." and there are people that will say,"Take a peek at those clowns, they're duck hunting right where I'm fishing."

After you let them know, in which ever fashion you choose, that they are pretty much ruining your hunting and they don't leave there really isn't much you can do. Yelling, screaming, profanity, hand gestures, shots fired, etc will do nothing but escalate an already ruined morning. It's unfortuantate we have to put up with the rudeness of others but it's a fact of life. The me first mentality doesn't belong on the lake, but it's there.

Quote:

I just hope I am never on a lake with any of these guys, duck hunting or fishing!
mad.gif

Shack, if you have hunted and fished as long as it seems you have, you know that hunters and fisherman are often blowhards wink.gif and like exaggerate beyond belief. Nobody would ever do those things... How many times have you heard that a guy was going to wing a muskie lure into a jetskier? About a million, and I bet it has actually happened, oh, never?...

The main thing is that some people out there are inconsiderate, or probably more often ignorant, of encroaching upon a hunter or another angler.

IMHO, the best thing is just to say "Hi" and talk, and let him know you are there. Ask how the fishing is, get the guy to WANT to move away from you, heh. Anyway, if anybody believes even a quarter of the stuff they read on the Internet... well, I have a bridge somewhere for sale, and it goes over the great shoreland in southern Florida wink.gif

My usual worthless two cents...

I had this exact same problem on opener this year with a couple of walleye fisherman. I don't like to freak out on people because I don't like when people freak out on me, but I do try to annoy them and lay on a thick layer of grief indirectly.

I like to say, hey, how's the fishing? Catching anything? I guess the fish like using my decoy lines as cover, huh? Then I talk loudly with my buddy or make a phone call to a friend and loudly discuss how irritating it is when people fish next to your decoys or are disrespectful to your position(it's not like we can move our whole spread). They have a right to be on that same stretch of water like you do, but I sure have the right to make them feel crappy about it as well. grin.gif

BoxMN,

A guy should be able to come one here and get all aspects of a cure for his sporting situation. I gave him mine! cool.gif

I would have asked them to call the DNR and offered to make the call for them.

I would also find out their names or troop and report them to the organization. No troop leader should act like this and especially in front of the kids. I understand that they wanted to enjoy the lake and be safe, but they have to realize and teach the kids that the lake is shared by all.

I have a pen and paper with me when I am out and write down the # on there boat and this happens alot while fishing and pleasure boaterscome too close. bty fishermen hate them for that, but then comes hunting season and they don't have a clue about duck hunters. they will cast into your decoys anchor downwind, ect. I just write down there boat #'s and tell the would you mind moving to another spot I am fishing too. they for the most part leave. But if they don't I say to them I have you #'s and I will call the co and have you ticketed for hunter harrassment. This world sucks confused.gif we have to police ourselves. I went fall fishing with a buddy a few years ago, he was running the boat we were headed right to where guys were set up with alot of dekes out I said we can't fish that spot he said why I told him and he goes oh that is why they were yelling at me the other day. some people have never picked up a gun in there life and don't have a clue so be polite. but some are just sob.s