• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good stories/information about Washkish area

shaky legs2

I am in the middle of reading two books titled: "They Used to Call us Game Wardens", by Bill Callies. It is a two volume set about his experiences as a game warden in the Washkish area in the 60's and 70's and also the Crosby area later in his career. These books along with "On the Trail" by Alfred Petrowske (Kelly's grandfather) are excellent reads and full of information about the area.

Just a quick clarificiation (not that it matters a whole lot...)

Kelly's uncle wrote the book, but it's about his Grandfather's life. It is a fantastic read. I just bought a copy for my buddy in SoDak and he said he was late to work two days because he started reading it and couldn't put it down. It is facinationg to think that this was all less than a century ago!

I agree anybody who frequents the area should pick up both these books and see what life was like through the "hay days" of Waskish! I'm sure Kelly could spin some pretty good tales that would pick-up where the book left off! I can see volume 2 coming!!! grin.gif I hope he just keeps me out of it!!! blush.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gif

Thanks for bringing these to everyones attention Shaky!

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs: Where are these books available? Amazon, Barnes and Nobles or just locally from a Whaskish retail site? Thanks Bill

I know "On the Trail" is available at the new convenience store in Waskish. When driving through to LOW you can pick one up. Or... If you want I can get a copy from Kelly's Dad and mail it out to you... let me know.

I bought the Game Warden books in Cass Lake at the hardware store... I'll try to find out where else they are available.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

I'm sure Kelly could spin some pretty good tales that would pick-up where the book left off! I can see volume 2 coming!!!
grin.gif
I hope he just keeps me out of it!!!
blush.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gif

Ya volume one was a romantic saga, volume two will be a tragic comedy. grin.gif

In the two books, "They used to call us Game Wardens", The Petrowske family is mentioned by the author (in favorable terms). In fact a young Kelly in the early 70's assisted the game warden Bill Callies in finding a young doe or fawn that was shot illegally by shiners. I asked my local library to order these two volumes but I had to wait 6 months for them to come in. I think you can order them from the University of Minnesota Press that caters to authors from Minnesota. "On the Trail" I got from Kelly who left a copy for me at Hillman's but I don't know if he still wants to do that. I seem to remember that he had to go into Bemidji to get some copies. I agree with Labs that if you want to learn more about the area, these books (especially "On the Trail") are invaluable. I remember this area from when I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's and to learn about how the town and area was settled is extremely interesting to me.

Ya wanna get all the stories and tales from the old days staight from the old folks while they're still with us. My father-in-law was the doctor in Big Fork back in the '30's and up thru the end of WWII. Back in the times when doctors got paid with split cordwood and chickens in lieu of cash. He's long dead, but my mother in law is 93 and sharp as a tack with many stories of the north shore and the north woods.

Kinda dates me, too. crazy.gif

I got my copies of the Warden books at Barnes & Noble in Fargo.

Labs: If you are able to pick them up let me know. I will forward a check/money order whichever you prefer for their cost and shipping and whatever you feel your time is worth. I checked Amazon and no luck there, so they must be local to Minnesota. I always find it very entertaining to read local lore such as these. If it works Labs fine otherwise don't worry about it. Thanks, Bill

I'll be up there soon... I'll get a copy and get back to you about shipping it. No problem!

Good Luck!

Ken

Many thanks my friend. I won't be headed that way until 12/26. If its not an inconvienance I would really appreciate it. Bill

Labs: By chance would you know a Scott Nitti from Inver Grove? He owns the cabin next to mine on Knife Lake near Mora. You could not ask for a nicer neighbor or a better friend. Just wondering. He drives for BFI. Bill

Skeets, thanks for that info. I am headed over there in a little while and will look for them. Thanks again. Bill

Skeets found the book by Bill Callies. There is another volume out now volume 2, so I picked that up as well. No one at the store could help me locate the one by Alfred Petroske. In fact I asked one kid who was putting up grunt calls where I might find the book section and he stated " we don't sell books"!!!!! 10 feet away at the end of the gun counter was the book display...LOL I left him to his grunt calls. I'll probably stop in Washkish on the way to LOW and pick up the other one. Thanks again for the heads up on the Warden book. Bill

I have contacted author about some books and his distrubution department will be getting back to me in a couple of days.

Yes, it is hard to find good help these days.

Kids now a days require a heafy starting wage, and they expect to get paid to do nothing.

Glad you found the books, enjoy! grin.gif

Just finished volume 1. Man these guys were some rugged individuals. Not that our CO's today aren't, but when you consider the lack of equipment and technolodgy back then, they did one he!!uva job for dirt cheap raises. In volume 1 Bill talks about his first training Warden, Al Hoger. Al was the St Cloud area warden back in the early mid 60's. I hate to admit it but I met Al in those days, when as a 20 yr stupide, snot noozed, knew everything punk he popped me for not unloading my .22 as I left one woods, drove 1/4 mile down the road to another area I was going to hunt. He was hard nosed about it, very professional though and I should have known better. $50 fine back then was a lot of cash. We ended up running into each other many times after that and he was totally friendly and I though a great asset to the State of Minnesota. We became friends and would always share a story or two. Great reading for sure, just started volume 2. Bill

Jon P. If you find a source for the that book let me know. I'll either pick it up ont he way through or contact them direct and get a copy. Alfred is mentioned several times in Bill Callies book. I look forward to reading that one as well. Bill

If you are coming through Waskish the Cenex station on the south end of town often has a couple on hand.

Thanks Jon. Won't be up your way until after Xmas but I usually gas up there and make a pit stop. I'll certainly pick up the book. Thanks again. Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Bturk, give me a call. I have your book for you! I need some mailing info. My cell is 651.341.4581

Good Luck!

Ken