• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I do feel your pain. It seems every year I get checked we get a ticket for something. One year it was not having a throwable flotation for any boat over 16'. Another year it was that my plug in my gun was legal for 3" shells but it would allow another 2 3/4". It was a plug that I had bought from the store so I guess I didn't question it. I was wrong. What it all seems to boil down to these days is you just about need to be a lawyer or retain one to bring with in the field. I will be honest I have knowingly broke laws in the past but I don't do it with out good reason. I have tresspassed to retrieve fallen game, even after the owner told me to leave. I just felt that even if I got a ticket I should still retrieve what I shot.

It is getting harder and harder to follow all the regs. I do my best to keep up on them but sometimes its almost overwhelming. I wonder if they have ever considered some kind of standardization in the laws from state to state. I understand that limits are still going to be decided on the local level but as far as licensing, tresspass, ammo, guns etc. basically the general regulations. It would certianly make it easier to hunt in other states.

It is our fault, but you have to admit that they are hard to keep up on.

Good points.

Another check point on Sunday on Hwy 11, everything went fine for us as we know how ND follows the laws to the tee. We actually have ran into the warden that checked us the day prior when we were fishing. Just make sure you follow the regulations and know what you have for game and fish in your coolers.

It does feel like they interrogate you trying to trip you up on shooting more birds then allowed on a particular day. So if you come home with 2 days of birds make sure of your story..... Of course the truth that you shot 1/2 each day.

I am back....it took a little longer than I thought but I got the home computer working again. I dont have much to offer....just follow the rules and you should be fine. I would agree that sometimes things can get difficult to follow....I have gone over the regs book several times and some of the rules are....well...I just dont know if I understand them or not. I guess it would be up to me to figure them out before going off on a hunting trip.

Hitman:

My wife and I built a new home in South Moorhead.....it was a long 3.5 months but its all done. Sorry it took so long to get back to you....I was at Camp Ripley this past weekend for the 2nd weekend of the open archery hunt. Loads of fun but didnt get one.

Take care

Cliffy.

Cliffy --

Did you see much? Did anyone get anything nice? I have thought about doing that myself, just never done it. Kinda like Elk hunting, bear hunting Lope hunting ... You know how it is.

Congrats on the NEW house! That is awesome. Should have built it in Hawley-wood -- wink.gif

Building a new house is VERY stressful. A buddy of mine said he was thinking about building a new house but he decided to buy one instead. When I asked him why he didn't build one he said, "My dad told me that my marriage wasn't strong enough."

Harsh words but true ...

It was my first year hunting at Camp Ripley and I will take it as a learning experince. I enjoyed it but there is a large crowd of people. I had four people walk right under my stand the first day....but they moved out of the area as soon as I said hello. I found a better spot the 2nd day and didnt see anyone else in the area. We saw some deer but nothing within bow range. I will take what I learn from this year and try to get into Ripley again next year.

We saw a few really nice deer at the weight station....150 class. One of the DNR guys said someone brought in a 255lber on Saturday afternoon...but I didnt get a chance to see that one.

The new house is great....building was alright.....I just wanted a over-sized heated garage....once I got that...I didnt really care what my wife did with the rest of the house. To be honest, I had little, if anything, to say or do about the rest...and she did a great job. I would have liked to have built in Hawely...but my job sorta requires that I live in Moorhead.

Take care.

Cliffy.

Dead --

Where have you been? You seem to have been AWOL this summer. Well with ice fishing just around the bend, we will need your daily updates on how the freeze is progressing.

been busy and hadn't had much time to fish this summer. hopefully that will change some this winter, but the outlook does not look good

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.