• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grinding noise...left front wheel

GotOne

Question

So much good info here, I thought I would give this a try. 2000 durango, 4wd. 123,000.00 miles. The left front wheel area is making a grinding noise when vehicle in motion and turn to the left or right...louder when turning toward left. Newer brakes. The guy at the service station down the road told me what it was but I forgot. How hard would it be to fix? Thanks in advance.

28 answers to this question

Are you sure it's not the disk dust protector rubbing on rotor or a little rock stuck there ? Try the easy stuff first.

Have you heard any "clunking"? Although you mentioned the noise is a "grinding sound", it might also be the ball joints. I do know that Durango's in that era had a major problem with those and Dodge issued a recall for them. Think it affected over 500,000 from 2000 to 2003.

Here's the info I could find.

2000 DODGE DURANGO SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:UPPER BALL JOINT

Recall Date: 12/21/2004

Summary:

ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4X4), IF MOISTURE LEAKS INTO THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER BALL JOINT, EVACUATION OF THE LUBRICANT AND CORROSION OF THE JOINT MAY CAUSE THE JOINT TO WEAR OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. THIS COULD CAUSE A CLUNKING NOISE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION, WHICH MAY NOT ALWAYS BE HEARD BY THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS.

Consequence:

EXCESSIVE WEAR IN THE UPPER BALL JOINT MAY ALLOW IT TO SEPARATE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER BALL JOINTS. THIS SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON DECEMBER 21, 2004. OWNERS CAN CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected: 592707

I would guess Wheel Bearing as well.

Chevy/GMC's are notorious for the Left-Front wheel bearing going out. I suppose Dodge could have a similar common issue.

Does it sound like a metal on metal grinding, or squeeking?

Thanks all,

We did the recall. Didn't check for debris. Guy at service station didn't say wheel bearing. He knew right away when test driving it what it was..just can think of what he said. He did say wheel bearing, brakes, rotors, etc had to come off to get at part. I'm have about as much talent working on vehicles as well...I just learned how to do a brake job yesterday on my ram. Before that changing oil was a big deal:) Sounds like something is rubbing/grinding that increases with speed and gets louder turning wheel to left and not as loud turning to right..going straight, not that noticeable.

I had a similar noise on my explorer, but I described it as a growling noise. Ended up having my lower ball joint replaced.

Had this recently on our Explorer. Was the bearing and hub assembly-had it replaced, no more issues...Can't complain, I guess. She has 190K on her.

Quote:

Sounds like a CV joint going out.

Typically those will make a clicking noise. usually under acceleration and more so when turning and accelerating.

I can't think of any service that would involve removing the bearing besides replacing the bearing. They may have referred to it as a hub assembly which is the same thing.

Wall- Cost was around 500 including labor. This was at least 200 cheaper than a dealer shop (we had a friend do it for peanuts). Expect quotes for bearing/hub assembly + labor in the 7-800$ range...

That sounds a bit high!

Do we even know it's a wheel bearing yet?

Let's find out for sure what's wrong before you get carved up paying for something that may not even be the problem.

That does sound high. Granted it's a different vehicle, but we had to do both front bearings on my fiancee's car last summer and I think it was between $500-$600 for both.

Thanks again. It is the front bearing. It threw me when the mechanic said to "remove the hub assembly". Anyway, cost is 185.00 part and 85.00lbr. How hard is it to do and is it a part one could get used at a junk yard?

A used bearing is like screwing in a use light bulb. No one knows how long it will last!

For that price, you can not go wrong. On a wheel bearing on the front of a 2000 dodge and if you have to ask how hard is it, I think that price look pretty good to me grin.gif.

Get it done and over with and spend the weekend afternoon watching the vikes or hunting or fishing.

Good luck!

Quote:

Anyway, cost is 185.00 part and 85.00lbr. How hard is it to do and is it a part one could get used at a junk yard?

The junk yard will probably want to sell you the entire knuckle.

If I remember correctly there are three bolts holding it in. The hardest part is either separating the bearing from the knuckle once the bolts are out or taking of the axle nut. It is also absolutely critical to torque the axle nut to the proper spec. If you don't the bearing will likely not last long.

My Left wheel bearing assembly on my Duramax ran my about $300-400 something like that and that is for a heavy duty so it shouldn't be more than that. That is the complete new assmebly as you couldn't just get the bearing.

I show it is .8 hr labor, and $222.00 for bearing w/o 4 wheel abs, and $305 with 4 wheel abs. This is dealer oe parts.

I think I'll have it done. Sounds like I got a good price. Once again, thanks for all your help.

SP450100.jpg

Here is the part! Its sealed and should be easy to do! But to pay a shop .5 to 1.0 hours of labor to do it is not that much! In my mind, I would repair it my self!

if it's been making that sound for a bit chances are it'll be a son of a gun to get off. But it is easy. Just like a brake job. There is three bolts behind the hub assembly that you have to remove and pound that sucker off, after you take off the caliper and rotor and heat shield of course. I've changed a few. Problem is getting the axel nut off if you don't have the right gear it's pointless.

This is wierd Wallabee! First you posted your Pool 2 report from Saturday which was identical to mine & now you have the same truck problem. I just posted this question 3 days ago on a different fishing site - walleye central. I haven't taken my truck in yet but the responses here are helpful.

We have replaced several already this week on our shift. All different makes and models. Its weird how all of a sudden things like this come in spurts!?

Vern,

Anything else I should know about:) Let me know what lottery numbers you are picking. BTW, I heading to So. Dakota pheasant hunting this weekend, are you? This site is pretty neat, all these folks offering such good info. It's greatly appreciated. Now, if someone wants to help me change the bearing, it would be even greater blush.gif

Wow, I am going to S. Dakota!

Just kidding.grin.gif I think I'm heading back to Pool 2. Good luck hunting.

- Vern

Good luck on the river. I'll bet that the "fish hogs" will be back. Call T.I.P. again. This crap has to stop. Hopefully, it will quit raining long enough for us to enjoy the wknd (plus Monday for me cool.gif Don't forget to try across the inlet by the drain:), a guy pulled a few walleyes out from in front of it.