• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Airjer Service engine soon--code TCC relay

Huskie

Question

01 Dodge ram, tcc relay code came up on the scan. The shop first serviced the tranny with a filter kit and fluid, hoping that would be an inexpensive fix. After 100 miles the light came on again and I am assuming it will be the same code. What is the next step and how much $$$$ will I be looking at, thanks.

18 answers to this question

This ones for the tranny guys. I vaguely remember looking at something like this or running into this code in the past but don't recall any specifics.

If you have the actual code please post it and I will investigate it on monday and get something posted to you monday night. There are some tranny savvy guys that check in so hopefully they can shed some light on this as well.

Torque Converter Control! It would be in a form of a relay or solenoid! It controls lock up I believe! If so it can be changed!

Does trans have any shifting issues or noise?

I would have another scan done to see what code is now. A lot can happen in a 100 miles!

Huskie, a couple of questions:

How many miles on your Ram?

Is your transmission doing anything unusual? For instance, does it lock up normally? Does it stay locked up, or does it unlock and lock up again? Sometimes you can't hear or feel it, but if you watch the tach you will see it jump up maybe 100-200 rpms and then drop again. Any shutters in the tranny? Also, do you remember when it came on, and what state the truck was in when it happened? For example, were you at highway speed, decelerating or accelerating, was the truck cold or up to operating temp?

--Mark

Thanks for the replies guy's, the truck has 140,000 miles on it. It still seems to run well, but the two things that comes to mind are, (1) when I accelerate it doesn't shift for a bit but runs higher rpm's for a while and (2) when I start it and back out of my driveway it hesitates a bit before it goes into reverse and moves. I have a sd pheasant trip this week end and in Nov, a deer trip both will be 500- 1000 miles. Would like to get it done by then, thanks again.

Huskie -

First, let's address the TCC code. The second check engine may or may not be another TCC relay code. The reason I say that is because it doesn't appear that your trans is showing any symptoms of the TQ not locking up or locking and unlocking. It could be something else. It seems like when fall comes around, the air gets cold and moist and sometimes sensors fail, or when they are about to fail they can send data to the computer that is out of the normal parameters and trip a code.

Second, I am really concerned about the hesitation in reverse. This could be something is simple as a band adjustment, but more common this is an indication of a seal inside the tranny that has dried up and is starting to leak, causing low fluid pressure.

I had a 1995 Ram that did this (with about the same # of miles) and I chose to trade it off. If it is the seal, that will require a rebuild (big $$$). I wasn't sure if it was a seal or bigger problems, as Dodge had a drum problem in their 1993-1998 47RE transmissions and if that was the problem it would've cost me even more money. frown.gif I traded for a 99 Ram which has had a couple of minor problems with the transmission, but most of them have been traced back to the TPS. Dodge solved the drum problem in 99, so I would doubt that this is your problem.

You might want to try this:

First, clear your computer. You can do this by disconnecting the battery for a minimum of 4 hours. I would disconnect it before going to bed, and connect it back up the next morning. This will clear the codes (no service engine light) and it will reset the computer to the factory parameters. If the problem is still there, the service engine light will come back, at which time I would take the truck back in to have the codes pulled.

Then, since you have already did a fluid change I would buy a can of Trans-X and put it in. If you have a seal problem, the Trans-X should help that and you should see an improvement in the reverse problem. If you don't see an improvement, you will probably need a band adjustment. At any rate, the Trans-X isn't going to hurt because if the TCC relay code comes back, the pan will have to be dropped to replace the relay and wiring. And, if it needs a band adjustment, the pan will also have to be dropped. Either way, you will be getting new fluid.

One more thing, after you have cleared the computer, the first time you start the truck turn the ignition on for about 5 seconds and then crank the starter. It gives the computer an opportunity to initially 'relearn' all of the data from the sensors. Once the truck starts, let it idle for 10 seconds or so before touching the gas or putting it in gear. Remember, the computer has to pick up stuff like air temp, altitude, etc. for the first time.

Hope this helps, and hope my prognosis doesn't sound too bleak.

Keep us posted as to how things go.

--Mark

There is a tsb for replacing the pressure boost valve on this truck for a tcc code p1740. I have replaced a couple solenoid packs on these also, but I believe they were late 90's era and for the code p0743. If you knew what the code was it would be helpfull. Also truck size , engine size!

I bought this truck with about 65000 miles, the tranny was serviced then, not since. I know, I know. Just didn't do it. I am going to get the code read again tonight, may not be the same thing but guessing it is. The truck has the 360 engine. Runs fine never had much of a problem, might have now.

The code was P1740 tcc or o/d solenoid performance. Does that mean anything to any of you, again thanks for the help.

Like 4wandering said, they have an update for that code!

I think they have an updated Solenoid pack for it like 4wandering said as well!

It should be a fairly simple repair! Look up solenoid pack replacement!

Some may have a link or copy of TSB? You can try to ask local dealership for copy of TSB. If they are nice, they might give you a copy!

Good luck!

P.S.

You might need updated tranny flash for TCM also (new software for your trannies computer)! Your local dealer will have to do this, includes useing a DRB Chrysler scan tool or equal unit. I do not know off hand if TSB recommends this or not. All I know is local dealer should have solenoid pack and parts in stock, unless they are on national back order status! Which I know about a year ago they were hard to come by. by now they should be out there!

Again, Good Luck!!

Any idea of the cost of this repair? And is it necessary to go to a dealer, down here they are much more expensive than the independent shops--but I guess you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Like 4wandering said, they have an update for that code!

I think they have an updated Solenoid pack for it like 4wandering said as well!

It should be a fairly simple repair! Look up solenoid pack replacement!

Some may have a link or copy of TSB? You can try to ask local dealership for copy of TSB. If they are nice, they might give you a copy!

Good luck!

P.S.

You might need updated tranny flash for TCM also (new software for your trannies computer)! Your local dealer will have to do this, includes useing a DRB Chrysler scan tool or equal unit. I do not know off hand if TSB recommends this or not. All I know is local dealer should have solenoid pack and parts in stock, unless they are on national back order status! Which I know about a year ago they were hard to come by. by now they should be out there!

Again, Good Luck!!

The tsb # is 21-11-00, total time is 2hours to do, cost of the parts should be about $100. Not a hard job, local shop should be able to do it, but the dealer would have done many before and know what they are doing, as you said, you get what you pay for!

Talked to the local dodge dealer, not the place that I bought the truck. I gave them the code and they said that it would run about 1 grand or so. 9 hours of labor and about $400 worth of parts. It would not be a compltete overall of the tranny but something less. Any help!!!!!

Ooow!, were abouts do you live?

Did they look at it or just relay some info over the phone?

Quote:

Ooow!, were abouts do you live?

Did they look at it or just relay some info over the phone?

Southern Mn, down in the Fairmont area. I just gave them the code and talked with the service manager and the wrench that does their tranny work. I found another shop in a tiny town that everyone else recommends and will check them out. The last time I had the code read, 2nd total, they turned the service engine soon light off, it has not come back on, any danger driving the truck, will it come on again if there is a problem? I am wondering if the intial work, changing the tranny filter and fluid did the trick? Just hoping!!!

Soory, I can not help ya with dealers in that area!

Keep on driveing is an option! If trans implodes, you run the risk of having to get more hard parts, like case housing, planetary gear sets and other items you would not need if you rebuilded before an implostion!

Good luck!

Yeah, I was a little afraid of that when you mentioned the 'slow in reverse' thing.

The P1940 code is thrown because the computer detects a difference in engine speed as compared to vehicle speed which logically leads to a slipping torque converter. It could be other things but most likely the converter.

If your converter is the problem, it will only get worse with time but I don't think it can cause any catastrophic damage if you let it go until you start to feel the slipping. It will hurt your gas mileage, though.

Converter replacement requires removal of the transfer case and transmission. Most likely they will also replace the solenoid pack.

--Mark

Quote:

Yeah, I was a little afraid of that when you mentioned the 'slow in reverse' thing.

The P1940 code is thrown because the computer detects a difference in engine speed as compared to vehicle speed which logically leads to a slipping torque converter. It could be other things but most likely the converter.

If your converter is the problem, it will only get worse with time but I don't think it can cause any catastrophic damage if you let it go until you start to feel the slipping. It will hurt your gas mileage, though.

Converter replacement requires removal of the transfer case and transmission. Most likely they will also replace the solenoid pack.

--Mark

I have a shop replacing the torque converter and the solenoid pack and other incidentals that go along with it. He is a reputable tranny guy and much less expensive than the dealers quote. Thanks to all for the help. Should be ready for the deer opener up north.