• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

PHEASANT OPENER REPORTS

firebug

If you have ever thought about pheasant hunting this is the year to do it!!! There were birds everywhere laugh.gif It's not quite SD but it was better than IA last year (at least for me). My wife and I and 1 dog had 5 birds through noon Sunday. Quit early because she was wet and I have a nasty cold. I have no doubt we could have shot a limit of birds. It's amazing how mild winters, dry springs, and a bunch of CRP helps the pheasant population. We hunted all public land in SW MN.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobT

• cw642

• 123fish

• jigging-matt

I also hunted the Osakis area on Sunday only. I have very limited experience hunting pheasants and all I can say is WOW! I really only started hunting them 2 years ago and hunt mostly public land with rare success, my lab is worthless after about 2 hours of hunting.

Anyways, yesterday we had 3 dogs, 3 guys, only ended up with 3. All on private land. We got up about 15 birds in the 2 hours we hunted. Many, many missed shots. Only 4 we flushed were hens. We should have had our 6 birds in about an hour if we could shoot better. Great number of birds.

Hunted Willamr Area. Saturday 4 Guys three dogs, 2 roosters, lots of missed. Sencond day 5 guys two dogs, (my 8 1/2 month old britt and a 12+ year old golden) 6 roosters. Saw lots of birds. Here is the six from Sun. huntingpics002.jpg

Whoops!!! Wait a minute, I take that back about the posting time. It looks like he didn't jump a bird on Sunday, maybe an overlimit or cripples that did not get put in the bag. My mistake, should have read it a little closer the first time.

Lawdog settle down that is in 2 days. I never jumped a rooster Sun the 2 others shot 4, and the kid is hunting. No cripples.

8 of us filled out near Morris Saturday. Reminded me of

South Dakota hunting. Big flocks of birds leaving roosting

areas and into the corn. The weeks to come will be good also

because the corn is disappearing fast. So many birds and so

little time is a problem for me now.

Worked Sat. and Sunday morning. Went out Sunday afternoon and flushed about a dozen birds of which 3 were roosters and I got 2 of them all in about an hour and a half on public land. I think the Vikes game and threat of rain kept people away as I hardly saw anyone else out when normally it would be a sea of orange. Dog worked great!

I'm glad Minnesota has birds this year, because the outlook for Iowa is dim, at least here. NW.

I think I'll go buy me a MN license so I can work the dog a little before Iowa opens up and I head to SD.

BobT, Great post!. Thats what its all about!

[image]IMG_5960.JPG[/image]

[image]IMG_6568.JPG[/image]

[image]IMG_6573.JPG[/image]

That last picture rules, reddog Did that rooster get the 6's right after that photo? Either way it's still an awesome photo......Got the ultimate point today while out chasing pheasants near my house. My 4 year old setter went on a hard point and I moved in expecting a rooster! What I got was a hen turkey busting out from under cover and just running off. Luckily it was on the other side of a deadfall so the dog never saw her leave and just stayed on point till I released him. Oh well 1 1/2 hrs no roosters one hen turkey pointed......just when you think you've seen it all.........go get em..uplander

Quote:

That last picture rules, reddog Did that rooster get the 6's right after that photo? Either way it's still an awesome photo......Got the ultimate point today while out chasing pheasants near my house. My 4 year old setter went on a hard point and I moved in expecting a rooster! What I got was a hen turkey busting out from under cover and just running off. Luckily it was on the other side of a deadfall so the dog never saw her leave and just stayed on point till I released him. Oh well 1 1/2 hrs no roosters one hen turkey pointed......just when you think you've seen it all.........go get em..uplander

Uplander,

Nope, that fez didnt get a load of 6s. Just workin the dog.

My English pointer pointed a jake turkey one time several years ago. When he ran out of the cover, the dog was on him. Ended up with a heck of a mess. smirk.gif

[image]http://IMG_5906.JPG[/image]

My old lab aint a very classy pointer, but if the bird holds, so does he.

[image]IMG_1800.JPG[/image]

Missed opening weekend. Went out Tuesday Night 3 people 2 dogs 5 birds in a hour and a half. Missed two. saw close to 20 birds in that hour and a half. We can thank the mild winters,CRP. But we must thank the good lord for what we are seeing now. I did not think I would ever see this many birds around in my life time. Lets hope for another good winter.

GREAT OPENER! I walk out my front door and walk about 50 feet to hunt pheasants! South of St. James! Private area, crops were out on both sides!

Too bad I'm in college at Bemidji and don't get to take advantage of it like I used to!

I went out by myself with the 2 labs and kicked up about 15 birds (10 roosters) Got my first one with the first shot, then it took about 5 more roosters before I was able to take my second. Saw more while walking back to the house. Beautiful weather as well!

Sunday the weather went south but still had to go out before heading to Bemidji. Saw another 10+ birds but most got up way ahead of me and my dad. I did manage to get one close enough and got it on one shot! Lots of birds running around out there. Many young ones though!

Got 3 over the weekend. Good Start - hope to take a few more around deer hunting!

I am amazed at how some hunters that post on here measure a good day of pheasant hunting by how fast they get a limit. Its seems like they brag about getting a limit in an hour or two. My hunting partners and I drive 600 miles round trip from my house just to hunt pheasants and if we got our limit in an hour or two I would be very dissapointed in the short time spent chasing the birds I wait all year to hunt.

I think a good day is measured by how well the dogs run, spending time with friends, laughing at the easy shots missed, etc. If we dont get a limit or even a bird we still consider it a great day hunting. Maybe people just hunt for different reasons? But if they dont get a limit its not a good day hunting? I am just curious more than anything and not bashing anyone.

I think what you are referring to goes without saying. In other words, just about anyone on this site feels the same way you do but it comes down to the reference being compared to. We all feel just being out is a good day so now we are comparing our good day against that reference, that's all.

Bob

I think hunting is always more fun if you're shooting something. I don't think anyone goes pheasant hunting without the intention of shooting pheasants. I've been eating pheasant all week from all the fun I had last weekend!! If I have my limit early it just means I can get some fishing in or watch the Vikes. I don't believe anyone that says hunting all day and not shooting a bird is just as much fun and hunting and taking some birds. I think its exciting to hear about all the great reports!! There is nothing wrong with a little bragging!

FI

Saturday; 7 guys 14 birds.

Sunday; not too bad but I recall didn't fill out.

Monday night; super wet, 6 roosters for 3 guys, one hen mallard by me

Tuesday; 3 birds 3 guys.

I shot 8 birds over the 4 days. ( young hunter in the group had his x-full choke in accidentally so I got his limit too I also hit more but didn't claim them due to multiple shots.) I saw a ton of birds, many flushed 100+ yards out, still lots of corn out, messed up plans. rain didn't help any with that. did I say lots of birds? just didn't cooperate but fun time all in all.

Here is what the main property I hunt looks like.

pheasants07006.jpg

we don't work too hard for our birds, we actually watch them come out of the corn into the grass and sloughs and then go push them.

pheasants07016.jpg

this is what was messing up our plans and kept the birds tied up, not all of them though.

pheasants07017.jpg

not a bad morning for 7 guys, we filled out shortly afterwards.

pheasants07023.jpg

did I mention it was wet? still got birds though.

pheasants07032.jpg

Let's be honest. To the hunter that has never experienced an exceptional year, an average year might seem like a great year but to the hunter that has never experienced anything but exceptional years, an average year would seem like a waste of time.

I started deer hunting during the deer drought of the 1970s. It was so bad there wasn’t even a season in 1971 due to the low deer population. I was 23 years old and hunted for 10 seasons before I finally bagged my first deer and in all those years prior I had shot at a deer only once. Today, I see more deer in one season than I did during that entire first 10 years. Hunter success rate since 1990 has been phenomenal, consistently hovering from 35% – 40% compared to 19% in 1975.

One point is that as with any statistics, the numbers can be skewed depending on their source such as length of season, seasons available, and multiple licenses purchased but nonetheless there are many more deer taken today for whatever reason.

Anyone that started hunting during the 1990s has never experienced the kind of hunting we had 30 years ago and if we took that person back in time to 1975 they would likely feel they had a bad year because they probably wouldn’t see a white tail much less an entire deer. I on the other hand hadn't experienced a great year for the first 10 so seeing a deer was a lot more exciting than it is today.

Last year our 12-year old daughter, on her first ever deer hunt, took a nice 8-pointer within 1/2 hour of the opening bell. Two hours later my nephew downs a beautiful 10-pointer and a week later my brother drops an 11-pointer all from stands within a 100 yard radius. How do you top that if your goal is merely to take deer? I’m concerned that it may have spoiled her for life so my goal now is to show her that deer hunting is more than just the kill. On the other hand, isn’t that the main reason we are really out there?

We hunt because we enjoy the outdoors, the camaraderie, the experience. This is true, but we don’t have to be hunting to experience these things. We can walk our dogs, watch wildlife, smell and pick flowers, and see the forest any time of the year. If we found ourselves hunting year after year without ever seeing our target game, we would soon get tired of carrying that rifle around. Put it this way, how often do we go hunting without carrying our weapons? Why don’t we hunt wild pheasants in St. Louis, Lake, or Cook County or moose in Douglas, Tood, or Stearns county? Nope, we hunt for one primary reason – to experience the thrill of the hunt and hopefully get the prize. All the other stuff is secondary.

That’s why we gauge success by our limit. Everything we do is building up for that climactic final moment when we can squeeze that trigger. That is not to say that we don’t enjoy the process for that too is very enjoyable.

Bob

ok so it is not opener anymore but here is a report anyways from the second Sunday of pheasant hunting. Took my new 5 mth old pup to the Windom area on so private land. It was a bit windy but none the less I ened up with my limit. we saw a total of 9 hens and three rosters. My pup did awsome! The first few birds she pretty much flushed but after she got a smell of the first rooster I put on the ground it was like switch in her was turned on. For the rest of the day it was nose down and all about the birds. Anthow I am very happy and cant wait to get her out again. Good hunting to all.

Quote:

I am amazed at how some hunters that post on here measure a good day of pheasant hunting by how fast they get a limit. Its seems like they brag about getting a limit in an hour or two.

I just wanted to comment on this.

I'll be 30 this fall crazy.gif and have been hunting pheasants since before I could carry my own gun..so a long time. I have hunted in SD and Iowa and MN all my life. For the past 20+ years I have been working my butt off here in Minnesota just to see a few birds. These last few years have been awesome! Last opener 4 of us finished our opening day with a limit of birds around 4 o'clock. After that we sat and grilled a few brats and watched the birds pour out of the corn and into the field that we had just finished in. What a great feeling! I have actually been waiting for this since the day I was born grin.gif I imagine that most others have been waiting for something like this as well. Sure, a good long day in the field is hard to beat but we have to enjoy this while it is happening becasue all it is going to take is some bad luck on Mother natures part and it will be back to the good or not so good 'ol days smirk.gif

A limit doesn't happen every day but it is sure nice to have the chance. grin.gif

IMG_2598%20%282%29.JPG

In the chair with his back to to us is your very own BDR. wink.gif

Quote:

I think a good day is measured by how well the dogs run, spending time with friends, laughing at the easy shots missed, etc. If we dont get a limit or even a bird we still consider it a great day hunting. Maybe people just hunt for different reasons? But if they dont get a limit its not a good day hunting? I am just curious more than anything and not bashing anyone.

I also feel the same way. I don't think I would hunt if it wasn't for my dogs. The biggest reward of my weekend was when my brotherinlaw shot his first bird of the year over an exceptional point by my three year old. Like you said their is a lot more to hunting than taking a limit.

CW

Notice what you said here. "The biggest reward of my weekend was when my brotherinlaw shot his first bird of the year..." It wasn't the hunting but the prize. The process is a nice side effect but the prize is really what we're after.

This is a rhetorical statement and only you can answer it for yourself but I would guess that you and/or your brother-in-law would not likely have been out there accept for the opportunity to harvest a few pheasants.

Bob

BobT,

I agree with you, we go out there to harvest a bird. I really enjoy the other aspects as well, it is the icing on the cake. I dont like shooting cheap birds and absolutely hate road hunting for this very reason. I want the dog work, the friendship, the experience, but I want them to all culminate in a bird at the end. I can be satisfied with a good hunt without the prize if the bird outsmarts me, but if there were no birds at all, it would be very difficult.

For the record, we had 4 guys on the morning of the opener and had a good hunt that ended too quick (did I dance around the limit in 1 hour issue enough?). After lunch we helped out a relative and son who dont have a dog have a great hunt as well.

I really wish the limit would have been raised to 3 this year. Since you cannot overharvest roosters, it would have had no effect on the population and many could have spent more time in the field enjoying the day, the comradarie, and the dog work.

Just got back from out west yesterday and did fantastic out there as well. Got some bonus huns as well...man, I love shooting those huns! Had to take the dog to the vet to get stitched up as she has absolutely no respect for a barbed wire fence. One other dog got a snoot full of as my daughter says, "Pokeypine" quills.

That's an interesting statement that we cannot overharvest roosters. I would think it could be possible but for 99.99999999% of the time it would not be likely as I could imagine at least some of them would elude us hunters and other preditors long enough.

Bob

I just returned from my first pheasant hunt ever, and man is the fun! A friend of mine has a bunch of land near Bellingham, MN and invited me along this year. I really enjoyed watching the dogs work and the time with friends (and making new ones along the way). From what I heard, it was a down year there due to all the corn still being up because of all the rain, but I did not hear one of the guys complain about the number of birds that were shot. We even finished early one day (without our limits) and watched the birds fly from the corn into the fields and then listened to em cluck. The friends, time with the dogs and the memories are what's most important to me.

Bob please use the WHOLE sentence when quoting me. Trust me the dog work is what I am after, If it wasn't for the "exceptional point by my three year old" you never would have heard about it. I feel very fortunate I can train my own dogs. It takes a lot of time to achieve the quality that I prefer. As a result a good day for me is not whether I fill a limit but rather how well my dogs performed. Yes, a bird in the bag is a big deal for the dogs, and it should be. They train for 6m out of the year for a few months of actual hunting. Then if you think about the half dozen older people I'll stop and drop a bird off to, have a pot of coffee with them, and a spend a good hour or three visiting with, I guess my typical hunt isn't like most. So for you to judge me by one statement is a joke, and to take it out of context and judge my intentions is a bigger joke. And good day to you Sir.

John 8:7 read it.

CW

Bob I actually want to open an invitation for you to come hunting with myself and my pooches. Maybe after seeing it first hand you will understand what its all about when I get time to hit the field. I bet I'd write about the first bird you shoot before I'd talk about how fast or how many I shot the week before.

CW

I have just returned from the SD opener and three days of hunting. I also hunted ND the weekend before for four days. I think this is the good old days. In seven days of hunting, I don't know if I have hunted more than a total of 12 hours. Yes, it is that good and really that easy. It is bittersweet. I enjoy a successful hunt and I will never apologize to anyone for my enjoyment in pulling the trigger on a big old rooster, but sometimes I miss the days of working your butt off for the entire day to scratch out a limit. Like I said, fast limits are bitter sweet. I have seen thousands of birds in the last week and a half. Now, I will try MN! Time to go put a rooster in the crock pot. mmmmmmm.....

Just returned from North dakota. Yes, its fun to pull the trigger and bag some wily roosters. However, to me it was secondary. Had 2 dogs with us, my 8 month old and my friends 8 yr. old, both labs. My 8 month old was on his first hunt. Hes raw and excited. Had trained him with wings proir to going. He picked up the scent well and followed the older dog. Sometimes he would get excited and go 100yds down the shelterbelt and start flushing roosters, my buddies got a little frustrated, but he was like a kid in a candy store for the first time, you had to laugh. We bagged plenty of birds, didnt limit, but just watching the old pro and the young pup was worth it for me.

I'll throw in my .02 Although I like to watch my dog work and am proud I trained her, to me, in the field, she is a tool just like my gun. My goal is to bag birds. I love that. I dont hunt pheasants often due to the distance involved with getting to good pheasant country so I am happiest when I get my limit each and every time which is only 2-3 times a season. If pheasant hunting opportunities were close by I would not feel the same way but they are so I do. I'm going to Iowa for opener this weekend. Probably the only time I go there this season. I hope to get my 3 birds 3 days in a row. Also if bagging game is not your primary goal when in the field then you are hiking.