• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mountain Lions...No way!

lungslicer

lungslicer, Here's some info on Minnesota Cougar sitings.

Wilmar, Mn cougar;

_wp-content_cougar013106.jpg

Savage, Mn cougar;

1coug27.e.jpg

Quote:

Cougars are so rare in Minnesota that population estimates are hard to come by, but one DNR biologist guessed that there are about 10 wild cougars in Minnesota. In the wild, cougars maintain home ranges of 100 square miles or more, depending on their food source.

But wild cougars aren’t the only ones that people could be seeing in the area.

Ely Timberjay artical;

“There could be as many as 300 ‘pet’ cougars in Minnesota,” said Rusch. “When someone gets tired of their pet or if it has too many kittens, sometimes they illegally set them loose.”

Ely Timberjay link

The Cougar Network link

Quote:

Minnesota:

A female cougar was shot and killed near Big Sandy Lake in Aitkin County, in August 2001. The guy shot the cougar because it was fighting with his pet dog. The carcass was picked up by the Dept. Of Natural Resources. The next day, 2 cougar kittens were seen in the same area, and they were trapped. They were the 16 week old kittens of the female that was killed. The kittens were taken to the Minnesota Zoo. It was the first confirmed killing of a cougar in the state in more than 100 years. See this cougar: Minnesota Cougar

April 2002 a cougar was photographed at a deer's carcass in the Minnesota River Valley around Savage. The pictures clearly show, it is an adult cougar. An article with one of the pictures can be seen at at the Pioneer Press website.

Cougar Confirmations link

Ely Timber Jay- Horse dies after cougar attack near Ely link

City Pages- The Cougar Files link

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lungslicer

• bwtrout

• Nate McVey

• Shack

I saw one west of Deer River in 1999, but sorry L.S., I didnt get a picture of it, so it doesn't count right?. wink.gif. Just because nobody is posting pictures here that you approve of, doesn't mean they don't roam here. sorry, but there are many credible sightings AND pictures to prove it.

Well slicer, I have lived here forty years and have personally seen these big cats twice. Not to mention the occasionaly tracks in the snow...

I hope it helps, at least. Lot's of good stories, infomation and discussion. I want to keep it going, but it wasn't/isn't heading in that direction.

Quote:

With so many Trail cams, why are their not more cayote pics, bob cat picks and other animals! Because people are not targeting those animals!

Your chances are better getting a shot of Big Foot, than a moutain lion if you are not set up right to get the animal to come to area!

Does anyone think this is true?

I bought a trail cam and set it up on a part of my land I figured deer traveled. I went a half of week with no pics of deer. I baited for deer and with in two days, I have pics of deer. If I threw meat out their, I would have pics of coyotes!

How does anyone think they are going to get a trail cam pic of a cougar, unless you set up for one! How many people are setting trail cams for cougars?

Okay, lungslicer. How about this. I spent nearly 15 years of my life working on a logging crew in northern MN near Mt. Iron, Kinney, Virginia, and Eveleth. Aside from my logging period I grew up in Kinney, MN spending just about every waking moment in the forest from the time I was 10 years old, hunting grouse, snowshoes, deer, you name it. In all that time I can only recall sighting two timber wolves while afield. In fact, just last year I saw my first timber wolf ever while deer hunting in over 35 years of hunting. When you consider the numbers of timberwolves vs. the numbers of cougars, I can easily imagine why I never saw a cougar while I was in the field. Besides the fact that they are rare they are also extremely smart and wary and also loners. Far more so than any timber wolf could ever be. Cougars, except when mating, rarely spend time with any other cat than themselves and they don't stay in any one area for very long being nomadic as they.

The fact that there aren't very many photos is clearly obvious...there aren't very many cougars!

Bob

Hunter4life,

Lets try and keep things a little less personal. Calling someone "Ignorant" and a "Fool" isnt exactly what people are looking for on here. People are intitled to there own opinions, and even though i agree with yours, doesnt mean im going to treat people with opposing opinions like mud.

-crib

I have a buddy that saw one in eastern ND last season and there is no reason why one cannot be running in Minnesota. Years ago we never has possum in SC Minnesota but have plenty now right along with coyotes.

They are here. I talked with another guy a few years ago that shot one in southern Minnesota and had pictures and it was in the local paper.

All right now!

Tom has said it!

I have no doubt in my mind there are Cougars in MN! cool.gif

Good point about the yotes and the possums! Those things are growing like wild fire around here!

I tell ya, its the rail way that brings this vermon into our area's. grin.gif

Well I tell ya, I have never seen a stealth bomber either, and they are pretty illusive, but I know they are out there, and they could have very well flown over MN at some point. grin.gif Personally IF I didn't believe cougars were in MN despite the compelling evidence brought to the table by professonals in the DNR and the combined expierience of the avid outdoorsmen on this site......I think rather then sit and talk about it I would try to find one, I mean we all love being out in the woods anyway right? So you learn the tracks and look for those, animal tracks are very distinctive if you find a good one. And if I still didn't believe they were legit, like some guy made a mold of a print and went around sticking it in the mud for fun.....then I guess maybe I would put out some cams and bait to attract them (if thats legal). I've always found that if you can't believe other legitimate sources, go find out first hand. Come to think of it I'm still not sure about this whole earth being round thing, I believe I will set sail and go check it out(not sure my 16' will hold up), might be a couple years before I get back to you guys. wink.gif I'm getting a little carried away, just thought we could all use the entertainment. Very good pics and stories guys, thanks for sharing.

There was one hit last yar south of Motley on Hwy 10 , Also , some friends have pics of them on their bear baits by Leader !! so belive if you want , but don;t be so naive to think their cant be !!

I stated that it wasnt meant to be personal. Lungslicer, I apologize that I didnt specify more, you are not a fool. But, I do think that your mentality is a bit foolish, and ignorant considering the numerous posts by these experienced people on this site. Those are two words depicting something of state of mind about a specific subject, not a persons overall personality.

Crib-

The definition of ignorant can be summed up in many ways, dictionary.com lists these

uninformed; unaware

lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement

useing the word ignorant toward another person is not a derragatory statement, it is simply a fact that they they dont know something, and even more, they dont even know that they dont know. My apologies if anyone took this as a "Dis".

Great point BobT. Of all the years grouse hunting in northern MN, I hear t-wolves howling at night, but have never seen one out stomping around in the woods. And their pop. is much larger than the rare cougar in MN. They exist. My dad saw one in the late 90's while sitting in a tree stand deer hunting in the Chaska river bottoms. May have been the same one that others spotted around that area. Who knows? He didn't tell many people because he thought they'd think he was full of BS. It was true though. And back in the early 80's, my fiance's grandpa saw one outside of Luverne, MN, in the extreme SW part of the state. They're rare, but what an experience to anyone who's actually seen one in this great state!

For what it is worth, I have seen tracks in NW Wisconsin. I am no expert, but they were what I believe to be cougar tracks. I looked at the ones on the internet and compared they looked the same as the ones I seen. I have talked to locals in the area, they said that they have been spotted once in awhile.

Up here one was killed on Hwy. 2 west of Bemidj by the theater this summer and the former director for MN BCA saw on in his driveway south of town, they have been filmed around Northhome, Waskish, Blackduck, and around Lake Plantaganette more common then folks think. Although there is some questions how many are wild over privately raised and released after getting to big. Another mother and cubs was also sighted this summer just south of town.

bd

The worst part is that if there is a significant number of tame or semi-tame cougars being released, it is not only illegal and foolish but adds an extreme level of danger to any human being that might encounter one because they are familiar with us and therefore less prone to avoid us.

Bob

I'm not sure if it was a news chopper or sherif, border patrol... can't remember who's chopper it was but someone filmed one of these cats from a chopper along the red river over by grand forks.

Are there actually a good number of people that raise these cats? I have heard of people raising wolves, but how would someone actually go about getting one of these cats? Crazy stuff! Its amazing what some people will do.

I hate to break it to the none-believers but my brother, myself and two othres in the car saw a mountain lion cross Highway 53 just north of Cook a few years back. If you've ever seen one in real life then you'll know why you can'tr mistake it for a bobcat or a house cat,(LMAO). They are very large animals. It took two leaps to cross the highway and all of us had our jaws drop. We all saw it and couldn't believe it. The local DNR has siad that there is a mating pair up here. The wife of a coworker here at work saw one last year cross the highway by wakem-up village on Lake Vermilion.

As far as the person mentioning that with all the cameras in the woods how come only one picture? Same goes with Timberwolves. We have tons of wolves in our area. Had a wolf kill happen this past weekend about a mile from our shack. their tracks went right over our tracks from the day before. We've had cameras in the woods for years now, and never a picture of one. Think about it. The camera is stationary with a range of a few yards. Think about how much woods are around. You could have 500 cameras in an 80 acre parcel and still not get a picture. Just too much woods to cover.

All I can say is , we used to think the world was flat too! Hmmm, wonder if we were wrong?

Someone had one in a cage outside their home for years in Elk River, on the south side of Lake Orano (by new police deptment).

Most of the time, the domestic "pets" have the canine teeth and claws removed. That would sure limit their ability to hunt their "normal" food.

Since lungslicer is no longer posting, I am assuming that he has either "gotten the point" or something mistook him as "meow mix".

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

While attend VCC in ely we did scent post surveys and groups along the gunflint trail had cougar tracks as did some that went up the Echo Trail. I also saw one off of the echo trail while grouse hunting it was within 40 yards of me. Lynx are not seen by most people either so they are here either.

A co-worker saw a lion this weekend around the Motley area while putting up deer stands. 40 yards away. "No mistaking it". He also saw it in the same area in July

All types of wild cats, including mountain lions, were plentiful at one time in MN. Much of their habitat was destroyed and they were hunted out, but are starting to make a comeback...just like many other species.

Maybe 15 years ago, I heard authorities verified a cougar killed Canadian goose, in a culvert, in Plymouth, near where I grew up.

Two years ago, the DNR (skeptical when first telephoned) verified a cougar killed a raccoon in a tree, two houses down from my folks in Plymouth.

I heard a rumor of a deer carcass in a tree in Maple Grove.

My hunting buddy was driving in northwest Plymouth; at first glance he thought he saw a deer running across a field, but then realized it had a long tail and was a cougar.

I talked to a guy in Royalton, two years ago, who had his archery deer target attacked. The cougar knocked the target's head off and dragged it a short distance.