• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OPEN WATER AND VEXILAR!

Catmendo

Yesterday, we put in a session on the Red in serch of some SUMU "greenbacks". We thought it would be fun to put our FL-20's to the open water test and "man" are we glad we did!

Right now, water flows in the Lower Red are at a minimal, this allows one to hang a transducer at the end of a makeshift arm or mini-boom, a hockey stick handle is suffice. Once everything is all set, with the transducer in place and the Vexilar turned on, it's just like fishing through a hole in the ice....you watch your lure and "every" fish that swims into view. The results were absolutely incredible! grin.gif We ended up landing three trophy 'eyes. My 28 inch HAWG came into view on the screen and after a couple of twitches of my jig, "SWAM", she nailed it! cool.gif Every fish that I caught was Vexed during this session and although I probably would have enjoyed equal success without the Vex, it was simply a blast getting to watched the action as it unfolded beneath us!

The next time you're heading out on open water, take your locator for a boat ride....you won't be disappointed!

Very cool!!! We spend so much time using our flashers during the Ice fishing season that it sometimes gets overlooked for Open water. I especially like my flasher along side my Lowrance because I can cross reference what they are telling me. One thing I know is that the Vex does not lie. If there is something down there it shows up.

Great report!

Corey Bechtold

last year I boght the fl-8 pack at fleet farm when it was on sale before hard water hit. I loved it so much this spring I bought the boat transducer and mounted it on a transom clamp that was for my old hummingbird.

A success story it was. I loved it!!!

I have my FL-18 hooked up to my Minnkota bow mount with universal transducer. It is like ice fishing when you are sitting still.

Some of Catmendo's vex results. Stu forgot to mention that my hockey stick is patented under the name "Canad Arm." After all what can be more Canadian than a hockey stick and his could probably best be described as(favoring Stu's penchant for golfing) "The Sand Trap" lol

100_2364.jpg

100_2365.jpg

its the ticket, won us some $$$ in a few tourneys! like you say, just like ice fishing!! go vex! or go home!

I have my Marcum on the back of my boat. It's my main unit. When trolling it keeps me on the structure in "real time". I absolutly love having my flasher on my boat. Nice guppy you have there Stu. wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip Stu!

Gave it a try and it worked good.

I need a better mast, and a few more feet of cable, but it's a start.

flasher.jpg

I kinda do the same thing. Instead, I have my lowarnce x67 on the trolling motor and the boat seat is just far enough back to keep is strait in line. Its so sweet seing that fish during open water. Gets you that fix! grin.gif

This trick that I do will work with any aluminum boat w/o any flooring in. Just get some petroleum jelly and smear it on the bottom of your transducer then stick it to the boat floor so there is no air gap. I'm not sure about Vexilars but my Marcum has plenty of power to shoot through the aluminum. Vertical jig just like ice fishing then. Works really good with rental boats.

On my sit on top kayak I just use a couple of bungee cords to fasten my Marcum to the front deck, and the transducer is placed over one of the drain holes.

You've got it dtro, that's the very same principal set up we have been experimenting with! By setting up your tranducer up in this fashion, you can easily bring whatever lure you happen to be fishing with at the time into view! I was on the water the other day, proceeded to Vex a fish five feet of the bottom, I quickly lifted my jig up to where it was sitting and immediately felt that age old and unmistakeable "thump" as the four pound walleye nailed it! What a great feeling and great experience!

Over the winter, are plans are to fabricate an extendable boom that will meet all our needs. This extention must be capable of rotating to any angle that might be required under any conditions while on the open water.

Vexilar is sending me a 10' long patch or extention cord in order to meet whatever length requirements are needed at any one time.

Make no mistake....this inovative adaptation to fishing with a high quality "flash graph" bring's forth endless opportunities to open water angling!

Quote:

This extention must be capable of rotating to any angle that might be required under any conditions while on the open water.

Back in my GFKS days before all the new fangled flashers I had something simular "Red Green rigged" on a bluebox/Zercom set-up for use icefishing on the Red with all that current. Panning ability, depth and angle adjustable, worked well but was for sure Red Green in it's quality!!!

fiskyknut

I just use the ice-ducer, and it works fine. It even keeps up cruising across the lake. Saves you about 60 bucks!!