• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grand Marais Area Trout Lakes

My dad is going grouse hunting in the grand marais area, I might join him up there to do some trout fishing (rainbows, brookies, and splake of course). Looking at pine (trestle), mink, junco, and/or esther lakes. Which ones are doing better than others? I usually use small spoons and spinners...any particular colors working?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Combine both Trout fishing and Grouse hunting by walking in to one of the trout lakes. That harder access means it hasn't been hit too hard. You can see the DNR Trout Booklet on-line, combine that with Map Quest and or USGS maps to plan your route.

They haven't really turned on yet, but I was out last week and got my limit. No particular color, I had to keep switching becuase it seemed I could only catch one a color;silver,orange,green,bronze and red.

It has been really windy, so if you are canoeing you will definatly get a workout.

I'm very familiar with all the lakes and trails, but time won't be on my side...my dad is the hunter, not me. I haven't been up there in october in years, kinda' miss it. Some of those lakes are in some remote places though...I was gonna bring my 14 footer, so would definitely have to go to the lakes with an actual boat launch.

Junco doesn't really have much of an access for boats, more of a carry in. I'm familiar with the lakes you mentioned but have a lot of experience on Esther. It has a decent access, camp ground and a few grouse in the area. There used to be more but I ate them. I like to troll bright colored #3 raps in bright colors such as fire tiger, orange or perch. If bobber fishing, a slip bobber set at 4-5 feet with half a crawler and some sort of salmon egg or imitation. Fishing after dark is fun with lighted bobbers. I'll be up there with my daughter this week for MEA. If you decide to hit the Esther area, keep an eye out for an old olive drab aluminum canoe with a middle aged guy and a beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed nine year old girl catching lots of fish. Man can she catch fish(and eat them, too).

Yeah, I'd probably hit junco in my waders. I've caught few brookies out of there, mostly chubs. Most likely I would fish pine and mink lakes in my boat and everywhere else from shore probably. I've done best on esther from shore anyway.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Kimball has nice browns