• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help -- dumb Qs

Dahitman44

I will be hunting for the first time in ND this weekend -- it says that that daily limit for pheasants is 3 but 12 possession. My buddy said the 12 poss. means him and me together -- that isn't right is it?

Also, is there anything else we can shoot without spending another $100?

thanks

Hit

The possession limit of 12 is per person, so if both of you are there for 4 days, and shoot your limit each day, you can bring back a total of 24 birds between the two of you. Good Luck!! I will be out there next Thur-Sunday!

Depending on where you're going you can find Huns and sharptails. We always seem to get a few of each on our trips out west.

xedge got it right. It's 3 per day per person. In order to legally reach that possession limit you would need to fill your limit each day for 4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hitman,

How did the trip go! Did ya have fun? Did you get anything?

Whens the next trip? grin.gif

We had a fantastic time. Had a few things go wrong, but I will be doing it again -- soon. Maybe December?

Here is a little more info I posted on another thread.

Got stopped at a ND DNR checkpoint and that was fine. We were under the limit and I thought we would be in and out.

First off, this is my first "real" Pheasant hunt so we did make some mistakes. Also my first trip to ND and first trip hunting birds more than 20 miles away.

I will make a long story short. First We shot six birds on Sat. and cleaned them. Next shot one Sun am early -- cleaned it and ate some B-fast. Next shot two later in the day and kept them intact to show the kids.

We got our stamp at the post office for Ducks and we were told that was all we needed by the post people. My buddy shot a nice blue wing teal and was going to take that home too.

The DNR guy looked at our papers and said fellas, we have a problem. He explained to us that we had the federal stamp but not the ND state duck stamp. We explained that "mabel" at the post office said that was all we needed and he read us the riot act on it but went on with our other problems. I think they knew we tried to do it the right way. I think they knew Mabel as well.

We cleaned the early sun am pheasant and they "talked" to us individually for 1/2 hour. Two different guys and compared our stories. they said, "isn't it possible you shot that one last night too -- stuff like that." and "Why didn't you clean these two." Good cop bad cop stuff.

I know what they were getting at and what they were doing. They then asked to see my knife and it had feathers on it and dried blood.

We did not clean the birds right either and that was dumb on our part. We did not leave ID on the birds. Honestly, did not think of it.

They said we could have been fined $450 each for the teal (he shooting and me transporting) $200 per pheasant (didn't know if they were hens or roosters) and $500 for the "seventh" bird.

In the end we each got a $25 fine for not cleaning them right and $50 fine for not having the right duck stuff.

I was a little mad, but thought we got out of there better than we could have.

What experiences do you guys have? There were like 9 guys there with guns -- it was a little freaky.

I think those guys that were all drunk and over the limit that were next to us were in deep trouble. Maybe that's why they let us go easy?

It was like they were looking for a murder suspect. We were their for an hour.

There were just doing their jobs, but it did make a guy feel -- dirty.

It sounds like they took it easy on you. I'd just be thankful they didn't right you the big tickets. It's good incentive to read and understand the hunting regs before you hunt in another state.

Someone told me that you need rabies shot tags on your dogs collars to take them to the dakotas, is that correct?

You do need rabies tags and documentation. You also need to plug you shotgun even when just hunting pheasant in ND.

Hitman,

I was just razzing ya! I read your post in the DL forum and thought I would see what you would say! grin.gif

Turns out this a very good area for this sbuject to be brought up! Learning alot of info for my first ND trip in the next couple of years!

I am glad it did work out good for ya! I sounds like it could have been alot worse!