• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
vrodharley77

slug hunting

vrodharley77

I have a question I am looking to slug hunt for the first time this year, can I shoot slugs out of a full choke barrel

remington that has never had slugs shot through it before?

picksbigwagon

I am sure you could try to shoot them out of a full choke barrel, but the slug manufacturer will recommend improved or cyliner chokes.......I personally wouldn't shoot a slug out of a full choke, but I tend to be a nervous nelly

TrophyEyes

I wouldn't, but I know it has been done.....a lot. Make sure you don't shoot sabots out of a smooth bore because it will be like throwing a knuckle ball.

DooWap

I would get a cylinder, or a rifled choke, they aren't that spendy, no more than $20 I would say.

NELS-BELLS

I grew up in SW Mn and we only hunted deer with slugs. None of us had rifled slug barrels or interchangeable chokes. None of the guns ever blew up or damaged in any way. You'll be fine! We just used regular Federal slugs and dropped plenty of deer out to 70 yds even a couple 100 yarders. Thats with just one bead at the end of the barrel. If you go with plain Federals...go with the 1 oz. versus the larger magnums. The smaller slugs shoot flater. If you want even more accuracy get Brennekes but they cost more.

Just make sure that you go out and shoot the slugs before the season so you know the drop rate.

Nels

vrodharley77

Thats exactly the info I was looking for, will do

thanks a lot for posting

xedge2002

that is how I always used to do it until I got a slug barrel. I think I would put in an Improved Cylinder choke too. Somewhere I had heard that was the choke to use for slugs. Don't remember exactly where though.

Polar Bear

Hey Vrod. You gotta try several different brands of slugs in the barrel you hunt with. Buy a single box of 5 slugs in 3 or 4 different brands and try them out. I promise you won't believe how different they pattern at 50 yards. In my Winchester 1300 smooth bore the Federal were OK, the Remingtons were the best but the Brennekes were awful. I think they are made for rifled barrels and don't pattern worth a hoot in my smooth bore. You will be really surprised how differently each brand shoots in any particular shotgun.

Muthagoose

Quote:

Just make sure that you go out and shoot the slugs before the season so you know the drop rate.

Exactly.//

I used to buy cheapo slug at wally world and shoot a carton at least once a month.. At$25 a carton it was a blast to shoot rolling tire targets and pop cans.. A old 1100 took up most of the recoil and it was actually a ball to shoot.. That fall I shot 7 for my hunting party...

Shortly after a burglary had relieved me of my toys. I decided then to upgrade a bit,since Mn allows pistol in slug zones went to a contender and a 29.

Practice is the ticket