• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shaft Question

MWellner

If you buy shafts and need to cut them, but the question is if you have DeWalt 705 12" compound, can you mark the shaft as long as you know the appropriate arrow length and use a cutoff blade as the shaft is carbon fiber?

Not sure how well the blade on your chop saw would do. The blade is not considered high speed. I would be afraid of separating the carbon fibers cutting with a blade like that. A high speed cut-off tool has a different blade, and spins much faster than your typical chop saw...

I'd take the shafts to a local archery shop...safer and is actually pretty quick as well.

Steve

no, the blade speed is way too slow. you would need way more than a 60 tooth blade to cleanly cut carbon shafts. i would try a good edged fine file instead if you're doing it yourself

There is nothing wrong with building ones own arrows and some really enjoy this. I have always had all of my arrows cut to fit and fletched by a shop as I dont own the right equipment. At todays prices for good shafts, one should make sure you have the correct equipment before they attemp to make their own arrows as the shafts are not cheap. If your not sure about what you are using to cut the shafts, maybe a shop could cut them to length for you and then you could finish builing your arrows.

Good luck and have fun.

please take the shafts to a pro shop and have them cut them if you don't have the proper equip. ! the results will be much more consistant.then you can take them home and finish the arrows.

Just take em to an archery shop, it's cheap and all your arrows are cut clean and consistently. Takes about 5 minutes max.

Quote:

please take the shafts to a pro shop and have them cut them if you don't have the proper equip. ! the results will be much more consistant.then you can take them home and finish the arrows.

I agree 100% I make my own arrows cuz I enjoy it but I always have them cut to length at a pro shop.