• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stolen stands (2) and digi trail cam city hunt arlington road

Good Idea!

I've always thought about leaving a sign on mine saying, Wave to the camera! blush.gif, or something to the effect to make them think at some point they will be on camera.

You never know, that might be all it takes

I had a friend who would hook up a battery to his basketball hoop after it got stolen a few times. shocked.gif

I dont recomend it but we soon found out who was doing the stealing.

The camera sign thing I like. May make them think about even being seen around the stands again.

A friend had her car stolen in the Cities. She drove around the next day with a friend, and actually spotted it with the keys inside. She quickly hopped out of her friend's car and "stole" it back. She later found out from her friend that the thieves were sitting in the car behind it because they jumped out of their car as she drove away! Upon getting away she discovered that her car was now filled with all kinds of stolen items inside. She went straight to the cops, who couldn't believe the story but eventually did. Trust me, that's the short version of the story.

I doubt this helps with deer stands, but it's a funny story. grin.gif

You know, maybe it's because I grew up in a big city, but I don't take chances with anything. I lock all my doors, don't leave the keys running in vehicles, take stuff with me at the end of the night, and put locks on stuff that I don't want to lose. It might sound a bit protectionist and scared, but it's second nature to me at this stage in my life and I sleep much better knowing that everything is safe versus enduring the heartburn of having something stolen.

Regardless, those deer stand thieves should be strung up. Did you ever contact the DNR/CO to see if one of them took it out?

Matt that sucks man. Just about all of us sportsmen have been in your shoes. My dad had his climber stolen last year, they just cut the lock and took it all and left pop cans at the bottom of the tree. He's 62 years old and has had 2 heart attacks. Its not easy for him to bring a stand in and out everyday.

I gotta believe that alot of stands are stolen by the same group of people. I don't think it would take much money or man power for the DNR to set up a bust which might lead to a whole lot of stolen stands.

Hey for those of you guys looking to switch over to a climber, check out the For Sale forum. There is a Summit Viper for a very good price. I have 2 of them and absolutely love them, they are very light and comfortable.

Quote:

Today was not a good day for myself and a fellow hunter. We hunt a zone in the city that borders arlington road. My comrade had his stand stolen and the culprit also took the climbing sticks/ ladder. I had a river's edge stand and nice bow hanger that was stolen (after cutting through my gorilla cable lock) as well as the moultrie 4.0 digital trail camera that my dad got me for christmas. It was off the beaten path and locked as well. Call me a fool for leaving that stuff on public property. I guess I always thought it'd never happen to me. I had two other stands out as well but pulled them and will hunt the rest of the season re-hanging every time i want to have the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and maybe see some deer. Oh yeah and to help manage the city's deer problem at my cost. If anyone knows of a good deal on a climber stand please e-mail me at
I bet the guy that puts the pickle on our cheeseburgers makes more than me...I just can't afford a climber at retail price but that's gonna be my most practical way to hunt the remainder (the good part!) of the season. I'm going to file a police report and do what I can but am pretty confident our stuff is gone for good. I'm not about to give up bow hunting because some wise guy is hunting for gear...it's fall and during fall I hunt.

IM sorry to hear your deer stand got stolen.

However, if it is public land, then any tree stand on public land is for the public's use.. First come first serve basis....

I dont think people should leave their deer stands on public land to save or reserve a certain spot or area. If you gonna leave your deer stands on public land, just dont get angry if you see other hunters on it before you are.. They have every right too....

It just bothers me whenever hunters leave their tree stands or build a permanent tree stand and claims the public section as their's...

Sorry to hear about your stuff Matt. I know the feeling. Had my boat stolen from my slip by a couple of punks who then trashed it for fun. All I got from the deal was a bad taste in my mouth from the cops who were too busy with bad checks being bounced all over town rather than $28K worth of damage. I realize the cops are completely understaffed but as soon as I told them I had insurance; see ya! frown.gifReally sucks hope they get the jerk(s). mad.gif

MC I can see your just trying to cause problems and I will bite. Just because its on public land and you can legally leave it there and its locked to the tree dose not give you the right to steal it! In Wi. on cty land we are allowed to leave our stands in the tree over night with our info on it. If I come out and your in the tree with your own stand I have no problem with that but trust me if your sitting in my stand you will be getting out. Sorry but people with no hunting ethics bug me! I'm off to Wy to chase some speed goats. Good luck hunting and fishing guys.

Agreed Ran, in the Duluth hunt we are also allowed to leave our stands up with our info (hunter ID) on it. That does not give someone the right to sit in it. Sorry MC, but I do not agree with your stance.

It’s like stealing someone’s parked car on public land or city parking lot. Just cause it is parked there and locked, does not give anyone the right to steal it or use it. I figure this with the hunting stands as well!

I do believe in this day and age, one has to bring stuff in. In the case of a parked car or locked dear stand, it may be legal to have it there and illegal to take, but people still take them!

I hate to add another thieving story to this post but I am a little bitter about mine. About two weeks ago I made the mistake of leaving my shotgun and bow in my truck because I was hunting that evening and going out the following morning.I left my truck(locked)parked under a street light on a road intersecting woodland ave and someone busted out a window and stole my shotgun, bow, gps, and truck jumper kit. Talk about stupid, I dont understand why these filthy crimes keep bothering sportsman who keep to themselves.Being the broke college student type I guess that will be the end of my bow season for this year, luckily I have a back up shotgun or grouse season would be over too. I wish I could find the (Contact Us Please) who did it cause I would tear them to shreds in a second! I have filed a police report and the serial number on the shotgun is now on a nation wide database, so I might(but very doubtfully)see that again. I didnt expect such a ugly criminal act here in duluth.....

Sorry to hear of this!

I think Surfacetention bought a gun that was found stolen and was able to get it back to the original owner because of a nation data base! When I read that, I thought that was cool! I do not know if Surface got stuck for what he paid for gun, but it is a ray of hope for Ya! smile.gif

Good luck!

UMDWalleyeGuy,

I have an old Browning compound that I am not using (actually havnt bowhunted in quite a few years) that I'd be willing to let you use for the rest of the season. You'll have to take a look at it and see if its usable for you, I havnt had it out of its case in quite some time. I can't remember the model name of it off the top of my head, but you are welcome to see if you can make use of it.

Let me know if you want to take a look at it and I'll bring it in on friday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

UMDWalleyeGuy, that stinks. I try not to leave anything laying around that'll challenge someone to do the right thing.

Its good that you had the serial numbers. That'll go right into the data base. If the gun shows up a dealer or pawn shop you'll get it back. I bought a rifle at a local pawn shop. A couple months later I get a call from the Sheriff.

Turns out the gun was stolen and the owner didn't realize it till he went to sight it in just before deer season. So the guy got his rifle back and the pawn shop gave me a full refund. Hope it works out for you.

Good lesson to take down the serial numbers on those firearms.

Xplorer, thats awfully nice offer.

UMD WG

The Duluth paper ran a story about guy the Duluth police arrested for several crimes I think they reported that he broke into a truck and stole a shotgun. Was that your gun?

Xplorer, I might have something going already on getting a new bow, but thank you that is a very kind offer. I wasn't aware that the duluth police had made a arrest recently I will have to make a call tomorrow to see if that guy was the thieve, thanks for the info down deep. To bad tree stands don't have serial numbers.

MC I'm sick of the story about guys saving a spot, most of the time that comes for one who's too lazy to find his own, well said Outdoor Ran

We need a Nonprofit, Hunters Against Theives

We could make money as a non profit, to pay for investigation.

Im in...........

UMDWG,

No problem, if that doesnt work out just let me know. I looked and it is an "Explorer 2" model (appropriate, huh?!), right handed and has a 45-60# adjustable draw weight. I did bring it with today since i was off yesterday and wasnt able to check the thread (dsl at home is on the fritz mad.gif)

Hope that if that is your shotgun, you can maybe get the rest of your stuff back also.