• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DEER ARE TOUGH!!

EXTREME

Went out behind the house last night and ended up shooting a doe. She was quartering toward me slightly. To make a long story short; I hit 1 lung, centerpunched the liver, and exited in the guts. This deer was alive 2 hours later when we caught up to the bloodtrail...unbelievable. We jumped the deer and backed off. I found it this morning about 100 yards from where it jumped. The body was cold. I just can't believe that that deer went that far and lived that long. If a human were shot in the same spot; we would be lucky to make it 10 feet. Anyway, I did get the deer. Just thought I would share that story with everyone. Good luck everyone

Glad you found the deer. Usually when one jumps a wounded deer the results are not good ones.

Got pics?

Congrats, I had pretty much that identical hit on a nice 8 pointer 3 years ago & he only walked about 50 yards before laying down. I think we jumped him 3 times in the next 100 yards, starting 1 1/2 - 2 hours later. I shot him again in his bed which caused jump #3 & hit shoulder, but after he'd moved enough to get his blood pumping a little he died from the initial wound. If they don't take off running they can survive a long time on a very lethal hit.

Congrats on finding her. I agree with Harvey, I've jumped other wounded deer over the years that I was not so fortunate on.

Ya! Some how it always ends up being a smack to the twig and berries!

One tough cookie!

I am not a bow hunter (possibley might put it up in a couple years), now in your case you let deer die over night. My first reaction would to (now this is deer alive on ground not moving) would be to give a 22cal round to head. Would this be legal during bow season?

Now this may have been brought up before and I am sorry if I missed it and am bringing up a dead horse!

Also I might add, the last doe I took gun hunting was shot behind neck in spine. Again it was alive when I got to her, but not moving at all. I did take a 22cal and put one between her eyes. Would this be legal during gun hunting season. Stupid point, but the 22cal is what takes the life of the deer and I know in regs a 22cal can not be used to take a deer during gun season! Splitting hairs here, but I shot gun and slug hunt and I am sure not going to take a point blank kill shot with a slug! I also will not leave a down deer over night were I hunt, because of the yotes around here will have deer cleaned in no time flat!

Shack- I dont think either situation you mentioned are legal. In archery, you can put another arrow in the boileroom and it will do the job as well... which is legal... with gun season, I believe you need to use a legal deer cartrige.

I figured as much with bow, but this thread raised a question about gun hunting.

Next time I will make a better kill shot!

Thanks Deitz!

Shack,

to answer your question in your first post.

I don't think they jumped the deer and it was laying ther alive, and left it to expire on its own. I believe when the say "jumped", it means it got up and bounded away. so they couldn't get another arrow in her.

Wounded deer that are jumped often get charged with enough adrenelin to make it a long ways, often out of tracking range when there is no longer a blood trail. Backing out and coming in the next morning is sometimes the best thing you can do on a marginally hit animal.

Quote:

I am not a bow hunter (possibley might put it up in a couple years), now in your case you let deer die over night. My first reaction would to (now this is deer alive on ground not moving) would be to give a 22cal round to head. Would this be legal during bow season?

I am sorry, but I should of worded that clearer in my post! I figure as such!

I figured I would ask my question in this post, rather than starting another, since the orig. poster was done with any further responce!

Thanks for the clear EXPO thought smile.gif

just jump on them and slit there throat, thats what i do and it works pretty good. that way you don't wreck the meat from a point blank slug shot.

Ruthless!

I don't think I could bring myself to do that! I think i'd just finish it off w/ a head shot.

Troutmaster,

Were you in the Army!

I figure I would aim a little better and not be impatient and let deer die!

The last doe I got was taken by gun on the last day of hunting season. It was taken at a larger distance than normal! Next time I would think twice before taking the long shot!

You don't wreck much meat - unless you're making head cheese - with a shot to the back of the head. I've done it many times over the years. You owe it to these beautiful animals to put them out of their misery as swiflty and painlessly as possible.

I should clarify, you can only do that during gun season, and not with a .22, only with a legal weapon like a slug.

Which makes me think, what are you doing with a .22 during slug season? Are you making the deer lay there wounded while you go back to the truck (or house) to get a .22?? Why not just shoot it with a slug??

Sorry if I get gross....

But as a kid I shot a deer with a shotgun (slugs) near the heart, back leg, front leg, shot its cheek off and its nose off (5 shots). The deer still kept running and fell about 150 yards away. It was still alive, and I then cut its throat.

As a early teenager, it actually bothered me (and probably still would) as the animal had such a will to live and get away. When a deer falls and gets up, you feel you need to shoot again...when the first shot (near the heart) was probably enough. Being the other shots did not hit the main body of the deer, I didn't ruin the meat.

My point is, I always shoot the deer again in the neck or head rather then cut the throat. Tough to do with a slug...but end it fast. I don't want to see a deer suffer like this one dead. Or, better yet...make the first shot good and end it!