• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Never seen this before

Scoot

I got my wife and kids to my M-I-L's tonight in time to sit in a small piece of woods by her place. I got out a little late, but was in the stand hunting by 5:15. Had deer come out to the field ten minutes later. However, with three seperate groups of deer, all of them came out into the field and left, never to be seen again. I've seen these deer out there feeding a couple times. It's a freshly harvested beet field, so I know they're spending significant time there at night. Nothing spooked them, they didn't wind me... Why'd they leave like that? No big deal for one or two to do that, but three seperate groups show up and boogy outta there?... in a place I'm sure they'll feed in tonight (not like it's just a travel area). Weird! Anyone have any ideas?

If it was somewhat windy ther that was probly the problem. We had a real nice buck out in the field working towards the stand, when the wind seemed to pick up more than his likeing so he just went back into the woods where he came from. Most of the other deer did to, then i am sure they came back out after dark. They just ate enough to get themselves something to do until dark. Thats my guess, but i have seen it to. Oh and the little bucks are starting get kinda active, watched two stand by the road tonight and bump heads, one was a half rack 3 pointer and the other was a fork.

Hard to say.. could be a ton of different things. I too would lean twards something leaving scent in the area... IE yotes/wolves/other peeps! ect...

Did they spook our just work their way off the field? I have seen deer come out early and work their way off way before dark. Sometimes I think they are just stoping by on their way to another food source and sometimes I think they get their early cause they may be low in the pecking order and get harassed by other deer at the prime feeding time. I have seen the later in small fields especially. If they were spooked, Who knows! Deer are some skiddish creatures sometimes.

Thanks for your thoughts, fellas. I know it's sort of a "who freekin' knows" thing, like DD said, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other theories that might be possible. DHM, I hadn't thought of cats. I was near Ada, so that's a possibility. I'd guess it's most likely something besides predators, but who knows. They all just sort of drifted slowly away. Like I said, the weird part is they've been feeding out there every night, so I'm shocked to see them leave early.

I just got back from ND and boy were the yotes howling and I have never seen deer so jumpy. A buddy of mine was watching three deer in a harvested bean field and a yote started up and right away the three deer blew out of there mach 1 and back into the woods. This happened numerous times this weekend and we only got one doe. The deer just didnt seem to want to move to well ths weekend.

Stinkin' yotes. They always seem to be close enough to mess a guy up, but far enough to not allow you the opportunity to dispose of them.

H.L., maybe this winter we should meet out there sometime and see that a few die of lead (at a high rate of speed) poisoning!

I would and also a few friends come up and try to blow away some of these buggers. In the last few trips up I have never heard or seen the amount I have this year. last weekend I shot at one and missed and Saturday had one at 30 feet, yes30 feet but could not get a shot off.

One friend is very good at calling them in. This winter we will plan a weekend of coyote control. I will talk to you later this fall and we can get it worked out where you can go out there and do more control if you have the spare time.

I had something pretty similar to this over the weekend hunting the early antlerless season. The deer showed up in the field early and and disappeared about 10 min. later to only come back from the direction they left right at dark. I know there is water on the neighbors property so that is what I am thinking is going on. They grab a quick bite to eat and then go grab a drink and back to feeding before the bed down again. It's been really dry this year and chances are they have to go farther then they normally would to find some water.

Up here in northern mn, we are blessed to have to share our hunts with wolves and more recently coyotes..I had a good feelign about my hunt on friday night. Good spot, perfect wind, cold, sunny, beautiful view of the lake and the ravine. Woods pretty noisey from traffic and target range nearby, but at dark it quieted down for an hr. A Coyote let lose scaring the bejessuz out of me! IT WAS CLOSE! 5-7 more joined in and they were right at the bottom of the ravine. I was really suprised I never saw them. When they opened up, another pack over the ridge about a half mile away opened up and across the lake I heard a few deeper howls I htought were wolves. GREAT! so whats a guy do in this situation?? Sit tight and hope u see deer? or leave knowing ur odds are toast?? confused.gif