• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will MN go non-motorized??

All this talk about spinning wings and wind or battery powered has me thinking. My MOJO is in need of replacement and was looking at them last night and I noticed that the store was sold out of the wind powered ones and had plenty of battery powered ones. I only hunt MN, so is a person buying a new MOJO now wasting money? State property is off limits to the battery ones and will MN follow other states and make them illegal all together? What do you think?

I sure hope that the state will go through with it. I don't own one but i have hunted with them and obviously they are highly effective but i myself find it more satisfying and repectful to shoot ducks with a nice spread of dekes and some good calling. Call me old-fashioned but thats my take on it.

I would be OK with using them if there was a way to regulate harvesting of drakes only when they are being used.. By the way... STOP SHOOTING HENS!!! smile.gif

Quote:

By the way... STOP SHOOTING HENS!!!
smile.gif

I am sure when you go fishing, you only keep the males. laugh.gif

When it comes to walleyes, anything over 20" goes back, not a sure thing on the sex of the fish but at least it is a honest effort. If a leech would only catch males that would be nice I guess. With that theory we may as well shoot hen pheasants...

My 2 cents, and worth every penny, ha!... Anybody who hunts with those goofy things doesn't for long. They break, are heavy, lose charge, fall in the water, loose wings, in general are a pain, and after using them a few times most sane people stop wink.gif We have two broken ones and good riddence, I say! ha! I might look at a wind powered one sometime.

I will say this - we used a jerk string for the first time last weekend... wow, it really worked. Sucked in the ducks on a windless day.

BoxMN - Your brother let me use your one working MOJO and it has been nothing but a pain in the a@@. If the water is not too deep, the bottom is too hard. If you find a place you can set it up, the wings spin off. If the wings stay on, you forgot to charge the battery. If everything works right, you see no ducks. If it is calm, I go nuts listening to the thing. Next time I have some extra cash, I am going to buy one of the floating MOJO's.

I have a tentative pass to hunt on Saturday (unless Pam goes into labor). Maybe your brother, you and I should head out. I have been doing OK on small ducks on a lake in the west metro and want to hit another lake a couple of miles NE of where I have been hunting.

Quote:

but i myself find it more satisfying and repectful to shoot ducks with a nice spread of dekes and some good calling. Call me old-fashioned but thats my take on it.

That's great if you like the challenge of it, I can respect that.

Personally I dont see the difference between using a spinning wing for duck hunting and using a Aqua View, or even a flasher for fishing. Spinning wings arent always the magic thing that bring ducks in every time.

I love my spinner. The 1st one I bought was a robo-duk and a piece o crap but I bought another one of much higher quality and it has been great. Never a problem.

I think spinners can sometimes be the difference between pass shooting ducks just giving you a look and having ducks finish for easy ID and kill shots.

I was part owner with BoxMN of a couple of robo ducks that were pieces of crap (pretty cheap and bad quality) so I haven't had good luck with them but also never really tried too hard either. That said, if the limit is 6 ducks total (with the appropriate breakdown of species) why do we care if someone shoots them with a spinner vs. doing it the old fashioned way?

Also as far as hens VS drakes, I would prefer to only shoot drakes. I've spent a bunch of days on Christina letting cans land in the decoys waiting on bulls. If shooting hens had such a bad impact on the population we wouldn't even be able to take one would we. Or is the limit set up that way because the DNR expects people to make mistakes in the low light conditions so this is one way for those birds not to go to waste?