• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
311Hemi

Dog Training Material & Information

Sutty

I have a 10 month old english setter, Decoverly line. Hips and elbows are good. My question is this, the vet was hesitant to remove rear dew claws at this point. Is this wierd? Seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

You may get better results creating a new post for this as this thread is geared towards training.

Sutty

I read the pointer training book by Bill Tarrant. I am reading a second one from him now. I like the author, the training is done without using a shock collar which I appreciate.

FCspringer

Have been gone for awhile, but love some new features Rick, this is one of the best post i have seen started. Hope it does not stray off coarse. FCS

Capt'nMorgan

I'm buying my first dog and was going to post about training mat'l, then came across this posting. lots of good info here, Thanks. one more question are these books for just training for hunting or is there also obiedience training info in there also?

870Express

All retriever books will have a formalized obedience section before advanced training. If not looking for a hunting dog, I'd go to your local library and pick up a book that suits you, ton of dog training material out there from puppy to obedience.

Capt'nMorgan

It's a GSP so it gonna be a hunter, was just wondering it there is obedience training it also. Thanks

Rick

Obediance training should be your foundation for any advanced training.

"Come", "hup", "stay", "heel" and "no" training should be started witin 1 week of owning your puppy. Let them have a lot of fun first. Usually start obediance training as soon as they recognize their name. The training method will vary depending on the age, breed and temperament of your dog. If they're young pups a couple fun filled training sessions of 10 to 15 minutes per day is more than enough to start.

shawn1982

Great forum guys!!! One question though... I have a 14 month gsp and am really starting to get into the hardcore training now and getting him in shape for this year. He is very good about obedience. he comes, sits, stays all that good stuff. I noticed all the books listed on here were from 07'. Are there any current up to date books out there. I am pulling towards getting "Wing and Shot" by Robert Whele. But if there are more up to date ones i would be interesed in looking in to them as well.. Thank You!

Meat-Run

Another great list of educational material you can use are the Gun Dog brand DVD's, you can find them at most retail stores such as the big "C", FF and just or at huntingtrixdotcom. They have everything from puppy training to Richard Walters Train Retrievers and Steadiness on Point I find them very well produced.

mr

srfishin15

I have a two year old yeallow lab that is recovering from an ACL tear,broken tibia, then a loose screw on the plate from the surgery. She is a pheasant and upland dog but I'd like to get into duck hunting this fall. Once she's healed I plan to start a little bit of training for the waterfowl hunting i plan to do. Is there a good book or other resource that can explain how to train and/or "add" commands so she can be used to duck hunt as well as upland hunt?

eckum54

I have a two year old yeallow lab that is recovering from an ACL tear,broken tibia, then a loose screw on the plate from the surgery. She is a pheasant and upland dog but I'd like to get into duck hunting this fall. Once she's healed I plan to start a little bit of training for the waterfowl hunting i plan to do. Is there a good book or other resource that can explain how to train and/or "add" commands so she can be used to duck hunt as well as upland hunt?

I like Tom Dokken's book Retriever Training...some of the items needed are little spendy or tricky to own since I live in an apartment but if you improvise a bit you should be fine.

srfishin15

I think the local library has that so i will probably check it out there first before i buy it, but thank you ill definately give it a look.

Brocster

Obediance training should be your foundation for any advanced training.

"Come", "hup", "stay", "heel" and "no" training should be started witin 1 week of owning your puppy. Let them have a lot of fun first. Usually start obediance training as soon as they recognize their name. The training method will vary depending on the age, breed and temperament of your dog. If they're young pups a couple fun filled training sessions of 10 to 15 minutes per day is more than enough to start.

+1

I have been working on my lab for two years now, and I often turn to YouTube, DU or similar sites online. There are some great dedicated drills explained and demonstrated. Great resource for quick tips or dedicated drills.

DU actually has an app for the Iphone with dedicated videos for retriever training.

HuNTiNg_FaNaTiC

I have a 16 month old yellow lab and for some reason he does not like getting into the back of my truck into his crate. Even when he knows we are going out hunting, its still very seldom that he will jump in. He just lays down on the ground and won't move. I feel like I have tried everything including treats and pheasant wings. I want him to naturally get excited and jump up. Its puting a hurtin on hunting days. Any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Rick

You're better off getting a dog ramp or hand loading and unloading him if the jump is at tailgate level. It can prevent spme health issues down the road.

If you insist on wanting him to jump up I suggest crate training him on the ground first. That should always be a pleasant place for him and don't overdo how long he has top stay in it. A treat and a chew bone in the crate can help.

Without seeing your dog and knowing more about how you and he interact it's a good first step.

jigginjim

Wife bought a lab mix from humain society, she is 8 months old nice but has no training. But will run after a few tools. Come,sit, got some of the down mode going, and starting to get into the kennel-up part. I guess I need to get her into a big dog train program. may need to find something around Buffalo area.

Ufatz

I'll bet you can do most of what you need in the way of training by yourself.....IF you have some time. Sounds like you have a nice little dog and it appears you already HAVE some basic training done. Find a good video or get your hands on a decent book. I'm sure the guys here can reccomend something for you....it has been a long time since I looked at one and I know there are a LOT of them out there now.

Repetition. Firmness. Patience. It CAN be fun and enjoyable for you and for your little pal.

Ole #1

Thanks for sharing. Wish I would have know about this site while I was looking for a dog, I sure would have had some questions for you guys. I wanted a good Grouse dog and a fishing buddy, anyway, I ended up with a British Yellow female. A friend recommened the Wolter's books, and I pretty much followed those to the letter. Don't know if this is an antiquated book by today's standards, but she has turned into everything I could have hoped for (inspite of my training). Have heard alot about the (Pointing Labrador) books, would that be worth reading even though i'm not interested in trying to bring that out of her.

IMO, Wolters is the Einstein of training labs and would be #1 on my list. I followed his books to a T and ended up with the best trained dog I've ever had the pleasure to hunt with.

monstermoose78

I need a book for labs starting with puppy training please help?

Todd Caswell

I recommend a video called training a retriever puppy by Bill Hillman followed up by the Fowl Dawg Videos by Rick Skawski of Milaca MN.. Can't go wrong with this set up, if followed you will have a dog that almost all of your blind mates will envy..

kentuck_ike

We have a dog training seminar coming in just over 1 month. Greg Fryar is a great down to earth trainer. It is called "Beginner Gun Dog" but it is meant for dogs of all ages that need a little help. Most issues are corrected by going back to the beginning.

If you know someone who might be interested or you have a hunting buddy who should be interested feel free to pas this info a long.

For more info you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks, Ben