• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Training Material & Information

311Hemi

da_chise, I would strongly recommend the "Training the Pointing Labrador" by Julie Knutson, even though you may not have purchased a pointing lab. It is a good book for ANY retriever.

This book is will cover everything from before the puppy all the way to advanced training that many will not do. I think it would be a GREAT book for someone new to training as explain what is going on in a dogs head and gets you to understand what your doing and why. Not many books out there that do this....at least that I have read.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 311Hemi

• LABS4ME

• superfish2

• catnipmn

Hemi, what made you decide to get your next pup out of Sauk River? I just placed a deposit there myself this week. I have read alot of good things about the Morks, plus they are working with some top notch pedigrees there IMO.

Eagle, I would be happy to talk to you more about it. Please email me at zach****ej1 (at) hotmail . com

Remove the **** from the email address.

An old but still relevant book that covers the basics well is called "Game Dog" by Richard Wolters. In addition to the training methods (which were revolutionary in their day), Wolters sprinkles in stories and examples.

His book follows the training of his own new lab pup, step by step - and explains not only what to do, but how to do it and more importantly "why".

I saw the pup that the book followed (Tar) work at Game Fair several years later. What a treat.

• 1 month later...

Hemi,

I e-mailed the Smartwork people and asked them which of their materials I'd need for my situation with my new pup, and they said the Smartwork Basics Pack, plus Transition; Phase 1. If I'm reading their website correctly, that would run about $150. Not very reasonable. Do I have this right?

I really like butch goodwins book. Retrievers... from the inside, out. It is very detailed and goes over everything from picking a breeder to advanced training and some extra fun stuff to teach your dog hunting related. It's well written and easy to follow and has stories throughout it to keep it interesting instead of just do this and then do this etc.

• 4 months later...

Are there any recommendations for material to train a British Labrador and for training with the British style?

I would like to research both the British and American styles to decide which I like better.

Another recommendation for a beginning trainer would be Joan Bailey "How to Help your Gun Dog Train Themselves."

• 3 months later...

Jackpine, I have to agree with you. i have used the wolters method on my last two labs and have had great turn out. I like the way he breaks it down. It reminds me of a who to train your retriever for dumbies book. Step by step how to examples and why you are doing it. I have the dvd of game dog and watching Tar in that movie is awesome! teh way he could stop her in mid water and turn here I got dizzy watching but Tar never faulted, pure awesome. the dvd I have referances the book so you can follow alone in the book and get a better example. One other book he has out that could help too is Water Dog. Another good book and dvd. based more toward your duck dog but does d oa good job going over the OB commands. I hunt a well rounded lab both water and upland and live by both of these book. I guess I go back to the you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Wolters did a great job and is a proven trainer. you can't go worng with one of his books or movies!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is one that was recently recommended to me that I have yet to read, but will be ordering.

Retriever Training For Spaniels: Working With Soft-Tempered, Hard-Headed, Intelligent Dogs

by Pamela Owen Kadlec

is a highly practical, "user friendly" guide to the art and science of teaching Spaniels to be effective retrievers and gun dogs, with special emphasis on the Boykin Spaniel. Individual chapters cover the difference in temperament between Spaniels and Labrador Retrievers, how to best use positive reinforcement and "clicker" training on a Spaniel puppy, things that must be taught to a puppy before it reaches six months of age, and a great deal more. Black-and-white photographs enhance and illustrate this clear, methodical, and straightforward text of this strongly recommended and specialized instruction book.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working with my first little male lab. He is now 11 months old and had a fantastic hunting season this past year with hunting grouse about a dozen times, pheasant 5 times, and duck about 8 times. Much of his hunting ability came from the pedigrees on both sides, but the training helped him direct his abilities.

I have used both Water Dog and Game Dog by Richard A. Wolters. Both books were very helpful from the time I got my pup at 7 weeks old. Also, both of the books remain on my night stand next to my bed so I can open them up and review their content.

I also picked up the Total Retriever series by Mike Lardy. I have begun reviewing that content and plan to use more of it in the spring once the snow disappears.

Does anyone have any training methods that they work on over the winter months? The few things we have been working on are short retrieves and lots of whistle command work while going for walks in the woods. I have shoveled straight paths in a field for short retrieves and am thinking about using the Double T also, along with some more pile work and fetch work.

I want to get the most out of this winter and want him to be ready for more intense training and work in the spring.

• 1 month later...

Hi guy's new to this forum. Haveing fun finding my way around abit but I will add that those books for the Spaniels and Dob's books and tapes work very well. I used allot of them training for field trials, and they polish a dog nicely. But be carefull with some of the ecollar stuff and take your time if you are not familure with collar training. Iron Range Are you familare with Place board training? It is a great tool for the winter for excersise,hand comands, control,delivery,steadyness,and retrieving.

• 1 month later...

da_chise, I would strongly recommend the "Training the Pointing Labrador" by Julie Knutson, even though you may not have purchased a pointing lab. It is a good book for ANY retriever.

This book is will cover everything from before the puppy all the way to advanced training that many will not do. I think it would be a GREAT book for someone new to training as explain what is going on in a dogs head and gets you to understand what your doing and why. Not many books out there that do this....at least that I have read.

Just wanted to follow up on this post with some questions. Sometimes it is tough to buy a book on line and know what you are getting. i found 2 books that look somewhat identical. One is called "TRAINING THE POINTING LABRADOR" (Hardcover)by JULIE KNUTSON (Author) and the other one is "The Pointing Labrador" [iLLUSTRATED] (Paperback) by Julie Knutson (Author), Paul Knutson (Author). The second one is twice as much maybe cause it has pictures? Which one would be better for the beginner (not as dogs go in general, but for training purposes for both myself and the wife) are they basically the same book but with pictures on the second one? The first one doesn't have any description on line. Anyhelp wba and thanks in advance.

We've got a Chololate Female lined up for mid May to take home at 7 weeks and want to get our ducks in a row before we get her.

i found 2 books that look somewhat identical. One is called "TRAINING THE POINTING LABRADOR" (Hardcover)by JULIE KNUTSON (Author) and the other one is "The Pointing Labrador" [iLLUSTRATED] (Paperback) by Julie Knutson (Author), Paul Knutson (Author). The second one is twice as much maybe cause it has pictures? Which one would be better for the beginner (not as dogs go in general, but for training purposes for both myself and the wife) are they basically the same book but with pictures on the second one? The first one doesn't have any description on line. Anyhelp wba and thanks in advance.

Lenny7 is correct. Training the Pointing Lab is her new book. (The other one is no longer in print and that is why it is extremely expensive.) The second book is available at her Web site. I have read it almost twice - as my family just picked up our first Pointing Lab this weekend.

I am THE DEFINITION of Newbie when it comes to PLs/hunting dogs

I borrowed the first book from a friend and read it. It helped convince me a PL was the dog for us. After we found a pup (with help from her first book and several months of research)I bought her new book. It's better than the first because she writes about "Hank" - and everything you need/want/can do to train him to be all he can be. She starts with Puppy Research and takes you through everything from an upland dog to water training to Double Ts, etc. (If we can accomplish half the stuff she covers, I will be ecstatic!)

My breeder also highly recommended it. And as my wife notes, the book already has become "my bible." We're literally on Day 3 with our PL and I've already re-read parts as I try to follow her suggestions and work with our kids to do the same.

If you go with a PL, I think this is a Must-Have item.

Now, off to "The Walk" for the second time! (read the book; you will know what I mean.)

And, yes, labs chew a lot...and eveything. (Told you I was a newbie!) smile

IF, I mean IF you can find it, Do it right, do it yourself by Len Jenkins is the best pointer guidebook I've ever read, and I have read a lot. Sometimes you can find a used copy on Amazon or E bay...Very good book. Len teaches you how to tailor your training to each dog, instead of tailoring the dog to the training.

Thanks for the clarification guys and the info. I will go after the new book.

Our lab will not be a pointer but still sounds like it would be a good book to use from puppy going forward.

• 3 months later...

any of the training books by Richard Wolters is a great way to train your dog!

My father has used it, I have used it and so have friends. Come out with the best dogs you could ask for if you do what this book says..

I specifically used water dog by Richard. But most of his books are relatively the same.

nick

• 4 weeks later...

May I suggest going to the Game Fair in Anoka each August. I don't know when you have so many "expert" trainers at your disposal all at once. Advice and demonstration seminars on everything from pointers, retrievers to coon hounds. This isn't a replacement for a good book or DVD program but why pass a chance to consult with many experts and you can bring your dog also. I went both weekends this year.

• 2 months later...

I have a 10 month old english setter, Decoverly line. Hips and elbows are good. My question is this, the vet was hesitant to remove rear dew claws at this point. Is this wierd? Seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 10 month old english setter, Decoverly line. Hips and elbows are good. My question is this, the vet was hesitant to remove rear dew claws at this point. Is this wierd? Seems like it shouldn't be an issue.

You may get better results creating a new post for this as this thread is geared towards training.

• 5 weeks later...

I read the pointer training book by Bill Tarrant. I am reading a second one from him now. I like the author, the training is done without using a shock collar which I appreciate.

• 1 month later...

Have been gone for awhile, but love some new features Rick, this is one of the best post i have seen started. Hope it does not stray off coarse. FCS

• 5 months later...

I'm buying my first dog and was going to post about training mat'l, then came across this posting. lots of good info here, Thanks. one more question are these books for just training for hunting or is there also obiedience training info in there also?

All retriever books will have a formalized obedience section before advanced training. If not looking for a hunting dog, I'd go to your local library and pick up a book that suits you, ton of dog training material out there from puppy to obedience.

It's a GSP so it gonna be a hunter, was just wondering it there is obedience training it also. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Obediance training should be your foundation for any advanced training.

"Come", "hup", "stay", "heel" and "no" training should be started witin 1 week of owning your puppy. Let them have a lot of fun first. Usually start obediance training as soon as they recognize their name. The training method will vary depending on the age, breed and temperament of your dog. If they're young pups a couple fun filled training sessions of 10 to 15 minutes per day is more than enough to start.

Great forum guys!!! One question though... I have a 14 month gsp and am really starting to get into the hardcore training now and getting him in shape for this year. He is very good about obedience. he comes, sits, stays all that good stuff. I noticed all the books listed on here were from 07'. Are there any current up to date books out there. I am pulling towards getting "Wing and Shot" by Robert Whele. But if there are more up to date ones i would be interesed in looking in to them as well.. Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...

Another great list of educational material you can use are the Gun Dog brand DVD's, you can find them at most retail stores such as the big "C", FF and just or at huntingtrixdotcom. They have everything from puppy training to Richard Walters Train Retrievers and Steadiness on Point I find them very well produced.

mr

• 10 months later...

I have a two year old yeallow lab that is recovering from an ACL tear,broken tibia, then a loose screw on the plate from the surgery. She is a pheasant and upland dog but I'd like to get into duck hunting this fall. Once she's healed I plan to start a little bit of training for the waterfowl hunting i plan to do. Is there a good book or other resource that can explain how to train and/or "add" commands so she can be used to duck hunt as well as upland hunt?