• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You answered one of my posts about the Wagner Lake area last year. I was just wondering if you will be hunting the same place again this year? We park just to the east of you on the south side of the road. I was up in that area last week end, just checking the area out. Looks like some grouse have been taken, we didn't see any, just needed to get things ready for the deer opener. If I don't go to SD after pheasants over MEA break I will check the area out again. Woodman, if you read this, how has the deer activity been where you folks hunt.

Had the deer cam out last month and got some does and fawns,so the bucks won't be to far come rifle season. I will be heading up over MEA hopefully to do some scouting and grouse hunting, and maybe sit on the stand with my bow. The drive north is loaded with deer in the evening, so the early hunt this weekend will hopefully help the road kill percentage! cool.gif

I may wonder back to the west of 46 from where you hunt also. We used to hunt there forever, until we got crowded in on. We hunted with the James White family for ever, until they passed on.

I will post what I find! Have a good one and get the guns sighted in now!

We had 2 inches of snow yesterday am, but all gone now!

We knew the Whites also, I can picture where you will be hunting west of 46. I see they have a counter just off of 46 on the gravel back towards Wagner where we hunt. Is that area included in the early season hunt? Whats that all about, never paid any attention to it!!

Don't know anything about that counter. I was going to go grouse hunting back west of 46 and see how much it has changed in the 15 years since we have not been back there. Mom, dad and wife and I are going to go for a ride on the wheelers and check it out one of these weekends.

The early season is for Does only and check to see if that area is in it. I am booked this weekend so will wait for rifle season, but will still bow hunt as much as possible up until then

• 2 weeks later...

Traveled up to Northome this weekend with the kids. Found a couple of rubs, but no scrapes yet. Bow hunted sat evening, and saw 3 from the blind within 30 yards of me. Too much brush to shoot and a fawn was running around me trying to figure out what that blind was. It was funny watching her/him. Jumped a couple of grouse, but did not shoot. I did get a misquito bite while hunting on sat evening. Man do we ever need a hard freeze. The bugs were nuts! frown.gif

Hey Huskie!!! Long time no chat. We will not be able to hunt opener this year. I heat my house with wood and am way behind on my timber harvest. I hope to be up the second and third weekends. Keep me posted on how you guys do!!! I'll be thinking of ya'll come opening morning. Hunt safe!!

And where is your stand located? If you will not be there then I will have to go and shoot all of your deer! grin.gif My firewood showed up today so guess what I will be doing this weekend?

If you can find Huskie, your in the right area. We got crowded in on a few years ago, so I have no stand. I just go and ground blind it. That is the big drawback on the no perminate stands thing. Good luck with the firewood and keep us posted on the deer hunting.

I was just kidd'n with using your stand. I know what you are going through, that is why we don't hunt west of 46 from you guys any more. Our new place also has people crowding in on us. Somebody built a stand in between my dad and wife on the ridge. Go figure, they don't scout or put there time in, some people just find your stands and build one, or put one up on the main trial before you! frown.gif

We are trying the ground blind attack this year also, last weekend it was successful getting 3 within 30 yards for the bow, so I can guess it will do the same for rifle. I will keep you all posted.

Fire wood is half stacked and the basement is full, the job WILL be complete on Sunday! grin.gif

fast40m: I will let you know how we do on the opening week end. We usually do not hunt there after that, if we do not, I will post my e mail address so I can give you some other important info that you could use. A friend of mine has a great place east by Orr, Mn.--we will probably hunt there the second week end.

Looking forward to posting on Sat with a successful harvest!

Good luck you all.

All the wood is stacked! grin.gif

What a great weekend to spend in a tree watching the squirrels play and get my heart pumping. I didn't see any deer from the stand, but on the way in for lunch guess what is standing in the middle of the trail watching me? A doe with 2 fawns. As they run away I say, well that is where they are hiding!

My dad shot one huge doe yesterday afternoon and that is it for us. It was really warm and if they weren't by you opening am when the war started you didn't see them. I swear everybody around me shot, but not me. Once I had to check my pants due to somebody on the same ridge of me on opener, and I didn't know they were there. I have had this stand for 8 years and now somebody is only hundreds of yards away cutting me off confused.gif

Well time to rest up this week and hit it hard again next weekend. Found one scrape by my stand, but didn't walk in the woods too much just to the stand and back!

Good luck and be safe

Woodman: We went 1 for 3 over the week end, my college age son shot a nice buck. I messed up and had a buck sneak up to me about 40 yards away before he saw me, looking the other way with my rifle leaning on the rail. After a short stare down, he bolted before I could get a good shot. Didn't want to take a chance without tracking snow. Just another notch in the hunter error column

fast40m: saw 4 vehicles parked in "your" spot. were you up or was the rest of your party. If so, you could hear the wolves howling about 9 Sat. morning, not the yipping of brush, sounded like a good number of the big boys, thats not a good sign for the area. I thought we would see more deer. Maybe thats why. Let me know if you are going up this week end, we will probably hunt over by Orr.