• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Armed robbery today at (wont say name yet) gas station, anyone heard this as well? Guess the guy who owns the place called a popular restaurant in ely and he told everyone there.

The info is here.

Armed robberies are rare here. While like in any other small Midwestern city there are occasional rashes of burglary (mostly, it's believed, by those addicted to meth), I'm casting back in my mind over four and a half years of living here and can't recall another armed robbery.

Holy smokes, what's going on over there? Maybe you guys should get the water tested. These things usually happen in 3s. Now hopefully the great town of Ely can stay out of the news for a while.

Quote:

The info is

Armed robberies are rare here. While like in any other small Midwestern city there are occasional rashes of burglary (mostly, it's believed, by those addicted to meth), I'm casting back in my mind over four and a half years of living here and can't recall another armed robbery.

Back in '03 there were those folks robbing all of the bars in town! I know they got Crannies, and they were scoping out the Steak House. I think I unknowingly served them a drink or two while they were scoping it out too!

Then the mass vandilization of Sheridan St. 2 yrs ago, I'm pretty sure things got robbed there too.

Ely is like other towns and small cities, you have this everywhere.. but now its time to lock up the 4 wheelers, sheds and your houses too.. Ely meth problem, is like everywhere, cause that too is everywhere..

Bruledrifter, I remembered all of those, and wrote news stories about them.

But they were all burglaries, not robberies. Robbery is when you steal directly from a person. Armed robbery is when you use a weapon to steal directly from a person. Burglary is when you steal something (often involving illegal entry or breaking and entering), but not from a person themselves. Robbery always involves a confrontation. Burglary rarely does.

So if I sneak into Surface Tension's garage when he's not in the garage and steal his ice auger, I've committed a burglary. If he's in his garage and I walk in and tell him to hand over his ice auger and he does, I've committed robbery. If I throw down on him with my .30-06 and tell him to hand over his ice auger and he does, I've committed an armed robbery.

Whether I've burglarized Surface Tension or robbed him, I'd be sure to die for it. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Of course, popular culture doesn't distinguish between them. The woman who runs out of her house after finding her jewels missing shouts "I've been robbed!" when she should shout "I've been burgled!" Somehow, the former is much more dramatic than the latter. grin.gif

Don't mean to be persnickety, and sorry to bore you all with too much information about the fine points of burglary/robbery. It's just that I covered crime all those years for newspapers, and cops and county attorneys LOVED to laugh at reporters who didn't know the difference. grin.gif

Sorry Steve. I thought the bar bit was armed, and the kids that destroyed Main St. had BB guns. But I guess they never held anyone up.

I'll be sure to brushen up on the differences between Burgled, and Robbed for future reference. tongue.gifsmile.gif

Ahhhh, big deal, man, I was just showin off. grin.gif

So you served one of those criminals a drink? I know several of them had drinks at a couple of the bars while they cased them out. Hmmmm, how do we know you weren't really in cahoots with them? confused.gif

Oh well, with the price of drinks in Ely (where the "end of the road" means the "end of your wallet") if they paid for the drinks and then burgled the place, they probably lost money on the deal. Did you get a nice tip? grin.gifgrin.gif

See you learn something on the forum everyday....

good to keep that brain thinking, as it grows older ya know.. keep them coming stfcatfish

Well the night that happened, I was workin! I guess that gets me off the hook shocked.gif

Never knew it at the time, but chatted with the bosses the next day and they told me they were in there that night.

It's weird how stuff like this happens in such remote little towns. But that just goes to show, it can happen anywhere at any time!

Gas station in Chisholm was robbed the other day too. For some reason Im thinking one of the guys might be from out of the area.

Chisholm police are asking for the public’s help in identifying two men who held up the Chisholm Spur, a convenience store at 403 West Lake St., early Sunday.

Authorities are searching for a black male about 5-foot-6 and 140 pounds who is in his late 20s. He has a lump by his left eye. Also sought is a white male who is about 5-foot-6, 140 pounds and has brown hair and a buzz cut.

The two men robbed the store at knifepoint about 12:56 a.m., said Chisholm police Capt. Mel Maturi.

Wow,,,, I'm so tired of hearing about this s***! Ely is a good town. At least I think it is. I sure hope it shows it good side soon before it's too late. So many good people there,,,,

pickle

Ely is a great city, it has crime like all others...with a bit over 3000 people in almost 3 miles of city,theres not alot to do for the young kids of course theres going to be crime... Seems to be centered around one family their last name just keeps popping up over and over.

If I'm not mistaken Surface Tension has a Nilsmaster Auger in his garage in that case it might be worth the risk. grin.gif

Strikemaster or Jiffy auger I'd say NO!... wink.gif

I used to live in the quiet community of Fargo/Moorhead. We never had any violent crimes till the last few years. Now it seems like there is always some jerk trying to make the news to by a few grams of meth or weed. We just had a guy rob a bank about 35 minutes NE of us, later in the day he drove up to the police station to report some supposed vandalsim to his car and they arrested him. Duh???

Hope they catch the robber.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There is a Nils Master in there...somewhere. You'd probably trip over something and have a pile of junk fall on you before you found it. Ask me how I know. grin.gif

Ely will be in the spotlight for a while.

This sort of thing happens everywhere. We see the news stories of these crimes in the bigger cites and somewhat except that as part of big towns and distance ourselves from them. When it happens in a small community it hits home. Its not supposed to happen there, we think.

Whether home bred, or crook in transit, it'll continue on to the next small town.

What can you do when your up against someone desperate for cash when a drug takes over their life or just a dead end lifestyle looking for the opportunity to steal when they can. Be shocked when it happens, talk, don't let it become common place.

The phase, "Kids Are Our Future" is a hokie one when you don't realize that we all play a role, directly or indirectly in the future.

Quote:

But they were all burglaries, not robberies. Robbery is when you steal directly from a person. Armed robbery is when you use a weapon to steal directly from a person. Burglary is when you steal something (often involving illegal entry or breaking and entering), but not from a person themselves. Robbery always involves a confrontation. Burglary rarely does.

So if I sneak into Surface Tension's garage when he's not in the garage and steal his ice auger, I've committed a burglary. If he's in his garage and I walk in and tell him to hand over his ice auger and he does, I've committed robbery. If I throw down on him with my .30-06 and tell him to hand over his ice auger and he does, I've committed an armed robbery.

Whether I've burglarized Surface Tension or robbed him, I'd be sure to die for it.
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Of course, popular culture doesn't distinguish between them. The woman who runs out of her house after finding her jewels missing shouts "I've been robbed!" when she should shout "I've been burgled!" Somehow, the former is much more dramatic than the latter.
grin.gif

Don't mean to be persnickety, and sorry to bore you all with too much information about the fine points of burglary/robbery. It's just that I covered crime all those years for newspapers, and cops and county attorneys LOVED to laugh at reporters who didn't know the difference.
grin.gif

Burglary is the unlawful entry of a structure with the intent to commit a crime. So if you sneak into ST's garage (even if the door was wide open) and take the auger it would be both burglary and theft. If you went into his garage and found out he was fishing and took the auger with him and left without taking anything you have still comitted the crime of burglary.

I know, I know more detail than anyone cares to know. grin.gif

Fishing/Hunting/Bird Watching/Berry Picking/Wolf Tracking/ and Sex must REALLY be slow around Ely right now . . . . . shocked.gif

Quote:

Experienced? LOL

Being related to a U.S. Marshall, a probation officer, a cop and a county attorney you pick up on a little bit.

No experience on the other end of it though grin.gif

Quite a few years ago, a couple of armed guys broke into the drug store (when it was across the street from Cranberries).

The local constables responded to the alarm call, and a gun battle broke out. One bad guy dead. One shot to heck and back (I think he was paralyzed as a result).

That was the last major league crime for quite a while!

That must of been a long while ago...there hasn't been a drug store there for how many years now (10-15)??? Maybe longer? That was the old Martinetto drug store, I remember when the Ely football team went to state there was a big white sheet hung on it saying "last one in town, shut off the lights". That was 1987 and I think the drug store was closed by then if memory recalls...I was pretty young back then (6th grade).

Wasn't that the drug store that the druggist gave the wrong meds to a lady here in town and she took them and it gave her a stroke she and her husband own a Realtor store here in town sued the druggist and he closed his doors, and now is working as a druggist here in ely again?

Quote:

Quote:

Experienced? LOL

Being related to a U.S. Marshall, a probation officer, a cop and a county attorney you pick up on a little bit.

No experience on the other end of it though grin.gif

Oh man i bet you didn't have any fun?