• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I would like to get out one more time, It has been since August, so sad. My nephews are coming home next weekend, the 13th. What are some good tactics for the bass/northerns this time of year? Is the afternoon better, sun=heat. I rarely have ever got out passed September, but we want to give it a go. Any tips for whats working now or what should be? I also target smaller lakes if that helps.

We pike and bass fished last weekend and they were very active...Lots of fish taken shallow on spinnerbaits and topwaters...Water temps were either side of 60 degrees and with these temps they shouldn't be dropping a whole lot...Seemed to be the cabbage that was still semi standing held most of the fish...Also quite a few fish in the reeds..

Slow rolling larger spinner baits along the weed line, rattle traps off the points and on a sunny day dragging cranks in water 5-8 feet. Water temp around Duluth was still in the 60's but with a week of rain that might change. Lake levels have risen over the past few weeks as much as a foot on some of the smaller lakes that I fish. This opens areas up that you might not have fished since early spring. Bigger fish are moving into the shallows and the Northerns are getting active. Had two over 8 this last week just off the first weed line. No one on the water as a lot of guys are now hunting or watching football. Good luck but you can't catch anything if you dont go fishin..Weeds are dieing off and time to look for the last of the green. No doubt when you get a strike as they have been hitting hard when they do.

Largemouths are in the last green cabbage beds. Flutter single blade spinnerbaits and 1/4-3/8 oz jig/pig. water will be 7-10 feet.

Smallmouths are going wild on Ottertail River. Anywhere you can get near the river you can catch 10-15 fish an hour. Up to 4 pounds. Also will catch the occassional channel cat (up to 7 pounds) and a few walleyes (the closer you get to a dam).

Awesome reports guys, thanks a bunch, that will get my courage up to give it one more swing!! Looks like roosters in the morn then bass in the sun wink.gifgrin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      they have been great!  Provide more stability and floatation to the rear of the boat where it was needed with my 230lb frame with the motor back there.  They also make the boat look pretty "mean" for a small little jon boat   The only downside to them is now I have to figure out a trolling motor since I cant put one off the rear, and I have to get creative to mount a transducer.  Currenly i just suction cup a vexilar transducer to the side of the boat. I am planning on adding a motorguide kayak 36" shaft trolling motor to the bow.  I just need some welding on the front, but I have to customize it so the boat still can fit on my trailer properly, as I have bumpers that create a little logistical snafu.    
    • leech~~
      Looks like you got it set up pretty nice with comfy seats. How did the rear floats you added work? 
    • ozzie
    • ozzie
      Just thought I would provide an update....the river is high and fast.  I have been down there multiple times during the course of the year and the fishing has been poor with water moving so fast.  I have tried 3oz weights and they tumble like nothing down the river.  Have not attempted to launch the boat out there.  I have been on the Rum a bit with the boat and that is a fun navigational voyage!  Not a lot of fish caught but some.  Regarding my boat set up, I did upgrade the 4hp up to a 6hp.  has just enough power to go where I need with a passenger.  next step is to weld up something to mount a bow mount trolling motor and I will have a solid fishing machine for small lakes and rivers. Hope everyone is out there enjoying our summertime open water!!  
    • smurfy
      kettle, ot anyone up in the north country.....last time up i dint think the skeeters were all that bad, them sand flies, you know them blood suckin ankle biters where starting to get annoying and the deer and horseflies were starting to make there presence known........ how are they now????/headed up a week from thursday!!  
    • FishinCT
      Someone is always catching them somewhere but so far this week that someone is not me. Still a few ideas to try but running out quickly
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Summer fishing is prime time right now up at Lake of the Woods.  Good numbers of walleyes being caught.  A nice variety of sizes, which bodes well for the fishery.  Small fish, eaters, slot fish which must be released (19.5 - 28.0 inches) and trophy walleyes over 28 inches all in the mix.     The mud is holding big numbers of fish and two main fishing techniques are being used to get it done. The first technique is drifting or trolling crawler harnesses.  Using a two ounce bottom bouncer and a two snelled spinner will do the trick.  Best spinner colors have been gold, gold/pink, orange/chartreuse.     Making sure your weight is near the bottom, but not dragging the bottom is key.  Try to maintain a 45 degree angle and make sure the spinner is spinning, normally 1.0 - 1.3 mph.  Walleyes will load up, almost feeling like you are dragging a wet sock.  A good feeling!   The second technique catching good numbers of walleyes is trolling crankbaits over the mud basin.  To get crankbaits down to schools of fish normally in that 28 - 32' range, lead core line, snap weights, downriggers and even a 4 ounce bottom bouncer with 6' mono or fluorocarbon leader with shallow diving crankbait will work well.   Most popular depths on the mud are 30'-36' of water over the mud basin.  Not every walleye in the lake is focusing on the same forage base.  There has also been success in that 12-20' range over sand and even shallower along shore.     Reefs can be their own ecosystem and can always hold fish.  Fish can be on top, sides, on the rock to mud transition or even adjacent to reef out in the mud.  Go fishing, watch electronics. On the Rainy River...  With drier weather, the flow of water is decreasing on the Rainy River.  Water clarity has improved and so has fishing.     Most are targeting the edges of the main current where water is slower moving.  Points, bridges, underwater structure, docks and bends in the river can all change current flow, creating good spots for fish to live. Jigs, spinners and crankbaits are all catching fish.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River with literally thousands of fun spots to fish. The sturgeon season is open.  Some nice fish were caught this week.  Anchor up on a hole or adjacent to a hole in the river and soak some nightcrawlers.  Local tackle shops have flat no roll sinkers and sturgeon rigs.     There is a big population of smallmouth bass in the Rainy River.  Although they don't receive much attention due to walleyes, they are abundant. Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing is the rule of thumb using three techniques, jigging, trolling spinners and trolling crankbaits.     Reports of walleyes sliding deeper off of structure.  If fishing a "spot on a spot", jigging is the preferred method.  If fish are spread out or you are searching a flat, spinners and crankbaits will cover more water and walleyes are normally cooperative.   Some big pike caught again this week.  These predators are often hanging around schools of walleyes and saugers, but rocky points, bays and sunken islands are great spots as well. Muskie anglers continue reporting good success fishing a variety of structure amongst the islands.    
    • MikeG3Boat
      CFD200, Nice Fish!  are you on the east or west side of Vermilion?
    • monstermoose78
      Just have been busy and I will work ok a report tonight. 
    • CFD200
      We had difficulty finding any walleyes this weekend.  The previous two weekends I marked a lot of fish with few takers.  Didn't  mark many this weekend but, caught this 24" mark.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.