• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much fuel do you burn in the Fall?? especially you Hanson!!!

swedishpimple

I live and work in Bemidji, so for me to get into "God's Country" to go hunting and fishing is not tough. I just got rid of my fuel hog 2003 Dodge Ram for a 2007 GMC. The milage is way better. I fill once every 8-9 days now (20-23 gallons).

How much fuel do you "City Boys" burn to go hunting and fishing every week. I don't make enough money here to burn up any more than I do. I already work 2 jobs. So..how do you do it?? Especially you Hanson????

Quote:

Especially you Hanson????

I try to share expenses with friends now.

Most of my out of the city trips are with a buddy now to split the fuel costs. 2-3 years ago, that wasn't the case, jump in the truck and go, but now... frown.gif

When I head up to URL in the winter, I pretty much have to have 1 buddy come with or I can't do it.

Trips aren't really spontaneous anymore, they have been planned for months ahead of time.

This year for our ND trip I am figuring at least $200 of fuel per truck. We will need to take 2 trucks for the first trip, so we are looking at $400 in fuel cost for 4 guys. There goes a minimum of $100 each just for fuel. Then add food, license, beverages, something for the landowners and it gets up there. It is worth the money for me. MN or ND - the cost to keep my sanity is money well spent.

A pretty ridiculous amount thats all I know. I go to school and don't have a job so it sucks. I donate plasma so my $60 a week goes straight into the Monte Carlo which is a field finding machine. I can get 27mpg on that hog. I can also fit 2 blinds and at least 10 doz sillies in that thing!

Flick

NDSU ALUM here....I know the plasma routine too. Back in 99,00,01 I would "give the juice" and buy beer and gas with it and head to Thief Lake and the Aggassiz. Now I am still paying for that $1.36 gas in Middle River on the Visa.

Duck season it would be $100 every other weekend. Pheasant hunting a little more but less trips. Maybe $200 for deer.

Not too bad for seeing the WHOLE state of MN.

Mike

Too much. Living in the "city" I always thought I was lucky to have some hunting available to me "only" 26 miles away- one way. That's 52 miles a trip, 17 mpg in the pick-up, $3 a gallon, works out to $9 a trip. $9 doesn't sound bad, but it adds up when I hunt as much as I do.

Then heading "up north" is a whole nother story. No more one day hunts for me "up north."

The question is how much fuel this fall? From Sept. 1 through Dec. 31 I will be averaging 2 tankfulls a week just on hunting/fishing excursions. $90 x 16 weeks = thoughts of me moving out of the "city." Hopefully I can share the expense with others.

oh, plus propane for the fishhouse.

Quote:

This year for our ND trip I am figuring at least $200 of fuel per truck.

This is what I figure also. Our trip to ND in two weeks is roughly 1100 miles round trip and I am estimating $175-200 in gas for the trip. It's just me and another guy driving up...so a little spendy. If I don't push it hard the 3/4 Dodge diesel should get close to 20 mpg....which would help a little.

Splitting gas with hunting/fishing partners is the only way to do it. Not to many solo trips that happen here.....just can't afford it.

How much fuel in the fall? I don't even want to guess!! I use a car for scouting that pulls 33 MPG. During Sept I was filling up twice a week while scouting, thats 400 miles per tank and 800 miles a week. shocked.gif Thats just scouting, then there is the fuel my truck burns pulling my trailer to the field each day. It only gets worse as the year goes on. My wife has forgotten who I am by now. grin.gif

Yikes, I might be heading to NoDak alone, so that will be spendy. Otherwise to the cabin and back is about $60 per weekend, and for duck hunting and scouting even more on that. Good thing is I work from home, so spend about, oh, exactly, $0 in gas for work... thank goodness...

jeez lets see....three hour drive up from sioux falls; usually burn an extra 1/4 tank to take the "long" way past all the hunting spots; then fill it back up to hunt all weekend; usually 1/2 to 3/4 tank used there; then fill it up to head back to sioux falls on sunday nights. i cant even imagine what its going to be like when we head up to nodak in two weeks.

Carp- I realize you have some darn good hunting around LQP, but I am just curious as to why you never seem to hunt SD?

The old Chevy gets 11 mpg highway, and 9mpg pulling boat. Don't want to even guess how much $.

Pretty sad when were jumping for joy filling up for 2.55 a Gallon like I did today...well maybe not jumping more like a little bounce out of my truck seat.... grin.gif

i hunt sodak too; just mostly by myself; i go home to hunt with friends, hunt on land i dont need to track permission down for, and my girlfriend lives in willmar right now so i kind of have to see her too i guess.

I hunt and fish closer to home.. most within 50 miles or so... gas still adds up.

The best thing to do is take someone along to share the expenses.