• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

College Hockey

wallmounter

I don't have any problems with Lucia but if we had a few the of old grinders we would be a much better team. If championships were won based on pretty passes and smooth skating the Gophers would win alot more than they do.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PierBridge

• Team Otter

• wallmounter

• IFallsRon

Looks like the City of Bemidji will purchase part of the property that was Superwood and build a convention center/rink. That'll go a long way toward helping the Beavers if BSU comes through with long-term lease money.

I think it is more of a problem that the players that have been brought in to be grinders have to step up and fill the holes created by skill players turning pro. How hard would it be to coach these kids knowing that the better you make them the sooner they will leave your team? I think it sucks that these college teams recruit these great players only to see them leave in a year or two. But that's the game right now so we have to enjoy it as best we can.

Quote:

I think it sucks that these college teams recruit these great players only to see them leave in a year or two.

We are a product of WCHA talent and domination...

WCHA Domination

It is great that some of these kids are moving on and having great success right away, but there are many that could have stayed and developed a year or two and then moved on and possibly moved right into the NHL instead of the minors. I understand the politics of moving on, and what coaches and GM's feel the minors can do for a player. But, what can another year or two of good competition, weights and practice all week long do to fine edge on a player's fundamentals and strength.

It is great that players leaving will open opportunities up to more young guys and creates more exposure for the league, but look at what UND has done in just keeping a few couple of key players. There is a maturity that I haven't seen much of lately. Sure it is early season and there are a lot of games left, but as we have seen the last couple of years a few more wins early on can make the second half of the season a little easier. On the other hand it is exciting watching these freshman and sophomores mature at such a rapid pace. It is a credit to the coaches and the competition. Hopefully the WCHA teams won't pound each other too hard enroute to another national title. I guess what I'm saying is that while it sucks to see guys leave it is also great to see new guys take their place and develop. It would just be nice to see players stick around for at least three years if not four.

St. Cloud State loses many of their best players every year to professional contracts. Most end up as career minor leaguers. I think you'll find that a large percentage were poor students.

There was a feature between periods of the SCSU-Anchorage game Saturday night focusing on why some players made the choice to play two years of junior before college. I was told by one college coach that they generally don't bring any in without some junior experience.

• 2 months later...

WCHA meeting went ‘very well’

Bethany Wesley

Bemidji Pioneer - 01/15/2008

Bemidji State University President Jon Quistgaard’s Sunday presentation to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association is said to have gone “very well.”

Bill Maki, the vice president for finance and administration at BSU, was not at the presentation, but had been in contact with Quistgaard since Sunday’s 30-minute presentation to the WCHA board.

“President Quistgaard reported back that he felt the meeting went very well,” Maki said.

The meeting concluded in a positive position that seemed to be beneficial for BSU and WCHA schools, Maki said.

The details of what was presented, or any possible decisions that were made, are expected to be made public by the WCHA later this week.

Grand Forks Herald sports editor Kevin Fee reported in his blog Monday that WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod, told him that the WCHA and BSU have an agreement in place that will help the BSU men’s hockey scheduling.

“The WCHA was reportedly considering a four-year unbalanced schedule that would ensure Bemidji State had 12 games (versus) WCHA teams each season, six home, six away,” Fee wrote at areavoices.com/fee. “But a particular number of games might not be in the agreement. A source also said BSU was told it needs to get a new arena built if the alliance is going to work.”

“We do have an agreement, but we’re just kind of working out the final details,” McLeod said in a Sunday night telephone interview with Fee.

The 10-team WCHA has had a moratorium on expansion since Minnesota State University Mankato was admitted in 1996-97.

Quistgaard told Fee that the meeting Sunday was “positive.”

“We really appreciated the opportunity to be able to talk about our situation and what our goals are and our vision,” Quistgaard said in a telephone interview with Fee. “I think we all came away from the meting better informed.”

The city and BSU plan to build this thing and then the youth hockey wants money to finish an arena they started years ago and couldnt finish. Not many people are happy around here when this is forced down our throats. BSU is a great hockey tradition but to the avg citizen it is not as important. I come from the range where this would never be such an issue, but they also love thier hockey and have the facilities to support it. Bemidji just doesnt have the support because there are other things that money goes to around here.

I love both college hockey and small town hockey. And I mean no disrespect to Bemidji, but I don't see a lot of benefits for the WCHA by adding BSU to the WCHA (or more BSU games vs WCHA teams). Sometimes less is more.

Originally Posted By: papabear
The city and BSU plan to build this thing and then the youth hockey wants money to finish an arena they started years ago and couldnt finish. Not many people are happy around here when this is forced down our throats. BSU is a great hockey tradition but to the avg citizen it is not as important. I come from the range where this would never be such an issue, but they also love thier hockey and have the facilities to support it. Bemidji just doesnt have the support because there are other things that money goes to around here.

Didn't we vote on this a while ago and it passed?

I also think that bringing in and introducing higher-caliber and local teams (WCHA) instead of the CHA teams in a new building will also grow hockey in Bemidji - from college down to youth. Look at the attendance difference at the Glas when a WCHA team comes in vs a CHA team.

yeah it was passed but it doesnt seem to get much support in town. BSU can compete in the WCHA and will be just as a big part of it as St Cloud and MSUM. This arena is needed to get there, but it will be tough. I just winder if the WCHA will still be made up of teams from Mich to Alaska in a few years and maybe be only MN, WIs, and ND.

Originally Posted By: papabear
I just winder if the WCHA will still be made up of teams from Mich to Alaska in a few years and maybe be only MN, WIs, and ND.

Fine by me. Seems like the competition is much more intense between the "local" teams. I know get more pumped for the instate games than the tech or alaska games. the only teams to be missed will be CC and DU...

I always thought it would be neat to see a modified version of the Big Ten: MN, WI, Mich, Mich State, Ohio State and throw in a few others like Notre Dame, NoDak, St. Cloud, UMD. Then schuffle the CCHA to include BSU, Mankato, Lake Superior, N. Michigan, Michigan Tech, Miami, Ferris State, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, etc. But it still doesn't answer what to do with Denver, CC and the Alaskan teams. Too bad there aren't more western teams for them to create a west coast conference.

Yeah a modified Big Ten with Notre Dame would be ideal for the sport. It would give more of traditional rivalries a new look. But I fear that if a conference of a lot of former D-II and D-III teams would be like a mid major conference. Alas a refiguring of conferences is going to have to happen if college hockey is to continue. There are way too many in the media who put downhockey as a niche sport and all for hockey to grow so anything they can do to make it as inteesting as possilbe where it is played will help it grow on its own. If all that makes any sense?

the only problem with the big ten concept is the possible bastardization of the "west coast" style of hockey. Not that there isn't already too much hooking, and clutch and grab style of play in the WCHA, but if you get more teams from the East, we may see less of the fast paced skate, pass, shoot style of hockey we've been used too. The other problem with having too many teams is that you start to get mediocre players skating on teams that shouldn't even be allowed to play DIII hockey. Look at the gopher defense \:o (except fischer and fairchild)...

does anyone think there going to make a run to another title. Or have a chance to do so?

BassNSpear...if you are referring to the Gophs, I wouldn't count on them to make a run at much this year.

I really don't think the problem is going to be so many teams that there are inferior players that make up most of the rosters. The problem with the Gophers defense that you referred to is that they are young and inexperienced...not that they are mediocre players in comparison to others. They knew going into this season that was going to be the big issue and boy were they right. They have, at times, shown signs of maturing. This takes time, it's a process...not a switch.

All teams must have role players as well, not every player is going to be a Mike Crowley, Keith Ballard, etc. There have been many "mediocre" players that have been very good players in the WCHA because of systems, accepting a role in that system and playing with other players that did/do the same. It is a team sport.

There has never been so much parity in college hockey...which is an example of some of the "mediocre" players fitting into programs and executing systems previously mentioned. I think if we compared the rosters of Denver/Air Force, we would see who has more of the so called "mediocre" players, same goes for CC/BSU. If one looks at last nights results and box scores, they might just say that those "mediocre" players are doing just fine.

Well stated Wapiti. As far as your Gophers are concerned their defense should improved quickly next year when Roseau's Aaron Ness joins the team. Man, he would have looked good in a UND Fighting Sioux sweater!!!

I'm still not convinced that peltier should be captain. He is mediocre at best. He cannot make the big time clutch plays and still makes JV style plays with the puck in front of the net. It's sad when two freshman D like bickel and fairchild show more poise on the ice than a senior captain. Don't get me started on anderson; his last 6 games may be a fluke, cause he hasn't performed really well in the past 3 seasons. Schack. that guy is terrible. scratched again last night. enough said.

I like the "youth" D for the gophs; they show the most promise and they are more typical of gopher defensemen. As far as the gophs making a run, unlikely but anything's possible in this day and age. The funny thing is, once I resigned to the fact over the xmas break that this team wouldn't amount to much this season, my opinion of the team changed, I enjoyed watching the past few series more, even if they didn't win, and they actually look like a somewhat better team. I think the exit of okposo and the entrance of carman has breathed new life into this team. Hoeffel hasn't been too bad either...

So I'll just assume that you didn't think much of Peltier last night when he had the wide open net and it looked like he was using a telephone pole instead of a hockey stick! \:o

I agree he is not the highly talented defenseman that Gopher fans are used to seeing on the blueline!!

Originally Posted By: Wapiti
So I'll just assume that you didn't think much of Peltier last night when he had the wide open net and it looked like he was using a telephone pole instead of a hockey stick! \:o

I agree he is not the highly talented defenseman that Gopher fans are used to seeing on the blueline!!

you crack me up. hopefully the squad will have a full showing tonight

Mr. Kangas decided to step up this weekend.

Perhaps the Gophers are turning the corner...

I know but I have to think positive.

Don't get to high TO, it will be a higher fall in 2 weeks when UM meets UND grin.gif

Man the WCHA is tough again this year, up until this last weekend ALL 10 teams were in the teams under consideration (TUC) for the pairwise. Now UAA is out and Mankato is the last TUC team. Every WCHA game is huge for NCAA seeding and placement. Look at the pairwise and you see that UND, Denver and CC have almost as many WINS as Michigan and Miami have games played against TUC's. Just shows how weak and watered down the CCHA is compared to the WCHA.

My thoughts for this last weekend are such:

1) I think UND stole a win on Friday at MSU, they deserved a tie not sure about the W.

2) Mr. Kangas is making it look awfully tough for Lucia to put in Mr I can't stop a shot coming from outside the zone.

3) The battle is on and it is going to be fierce for spots 4-8 in the WCHA tourney.

It's a great time of the year, enjoy the games, I have tickets to the UND-UM series in 2 weeks and already can't wait.

GO SIOUX

Quote:
1) I think UND stole a win on Friday at MSU, they deserved a tie not sure about the W.

UND still got the Win! \:\)

Quote:
It's a great time of the year, enjoy the games, I have tickets to the UND-UM series in 2 weeks and already can't wait.

I will be there too on the Saturday night game (Feb. 2nd)

backstrap, Roseau's Aaron Ness is obviously a very smart student as he is completing his junior and senior years this year to join the Gophs next year. Connection between being that smart and deciding to play for the Gophs...?

Also, does anyone know where I can find the boxscores for the UND games? I looked at the Grand Forks PD blotter and to my astonishment it wasn't there? I'm puzzled!