• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nocturnal Deer

Phill Aldahl

I hunt public land close to Mankato. It has very little hunting pressure, by this I mean, I have only seen a hand full of people out there. One guy that was there every night I was isn't coming anymore so I figure that he got his deer. Recently it has just been me out there. Just about every time I am out there I kick up deer on the way in or on the way out. I follow a truck path that leads from the parking area through the grasslands and to the woods. I am just wondering if me kicking up these deer has caused them to go nocturnal? I haven't seen a deer in the stand yet, just walking in or out. Kind of frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. And another question. I am wondering what these deer could be feeding on. There are no food plots, corn, or beans, since it is bordered on 3 sides by the river and on the other side a road. Thanks

You may have made a small impact on their habits but there should be a fair amount of daytime activity regardless. I'd suggest moving your stand to a different spot and try to use a differing route when you travel the woods. Deer activity will be picking up soon anyways with temps dropping and the rut approaching. I wouldn't be as concerned with the deer you get busted by in the dark. They are less likely to discern what made the noise in such low light. Also, pay close attention to scent and the wind. Sometimes it's just the old school sense of smell that will keep deer away from your tree.

i have experienced the same thing in the area i hunt. Much of the corn has been cut but i still have a few large fields standing, once they get cut i start seeing more deer during daylight. Also with the colder weather and rut staring soon they become more active. Keep at it and youl start seeing more deer grin.gif

I would without a doubt say that hunting the same location day in and day out will effect the deer. One has to also remember that not only are you bumping deer but also leaving extra scent in the area. There could also be other hunters in this same ares when you are not there.

I never care to go into one stand location more thasn a couple times a week as the amount of deer always decreases.

I agree, you bump enough deer at a stand site or on the way, other than maybe during the firearm season I'd probably right that one off until next year. I'm maybe too fanatical about not overhunting a stand, but for example, I've been out I think 13 times so far this year between MN & WI. I've only hunted one stand sites twice, that was a old permanent I'd recently gain access too, that I was trying to decide if it was any good. It's doubtful I'll hunt it again.

that is a possibility but it would add a considerable amount of time to walk in and out, possibly an hour. I hope the with the rut approaching some of the deer will be out and about a little more. Just the other night a buddy had 2 does walk by sitting in my stand so I know they are still in there and moving. I guess I will just keep at it. To clear things up I do move around to different locations. I have hunted over 5 different spots at that piece of land.

Another thought, If there "isn't much food in the area" and it's a "big grassy area" it is probably a bedding area. So you should hunt the mornings and catch them en route to bedding areas...?

Or are you bumping them early in the morning on your way to the stand?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.