• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

does shooting less draw weight produce less sound

LWG

I just purchased a Diamond Justice and I am amazed how quite this bow is. It has a 60# draw weight and I am 29" draw length and it was tested at 242fps. I like the fact that this bow is smooth and quite but I am second guessing myself that I did not get the one that maxs out at 70# draw weight. I would like to get a little more speed. I have pulled heavier draw weight in the past with no problem but I am concerned that if I excahnge this bow for more draw weight that it may not be as quite. Any thought would be appreciated.

Brent

Waconia,MN

you don't need any more draw weight! it shouldn't make much difference if you would get the 70 lb. if it's set up right, but the 60lbs. will be just fine. way too many people shooting big weight bows IMO. remember it's made by bowtech!! I shoot at 60lb. guardian at 280fps with 355 grain arrows. have your arrows weighed you may be able to get a little more speed by getting lighter arrows or broadheads, just don't get too light. read arrow manuf. specs before changing. at 240+ there will be plenty of K.I. to take down any game this state has. 240 is way faster than most 3-5 year old bows, so plenty fast. just my opinion.

rule of thumb for arrow weight is 5 grains per pound of draw weight. so you could get away with 300 grain arrows or even a bit lighter

In general a lighter draw weight usually translates into a quieter bow. Obviously there are lots of variables that make bows loud, but high draw weights area one of them. Having so much force being released will create some noise. If you had 2 identical bows with the same dampening equipment, the 60lb bow would be quieter than a 70lb bow.

Speed doesn't kill deer, sharp broadheads and kinetic energy does. So many animals have fallen to spears and stickbows. I'm just saying don't get caught up in the speed hype. Too light of an arrow not only has less mass and energy, but it will also make your bow louder because there is less mass in the arrow to absorb shock from the bow.

Speed may not be the #1 factor in taking down a deer, however, it does nicely flatten out your arrows tragectory. What that means is that if you misjudge the distance it has much less impact with a faster bow. For example, if you shoot 30 yards but aim with the 20 yard pin, the faster bow will have less drop so you'll miss your intended target by less, or even barely at all with a really fast bow. I say if you can shoot 70# comfortably do it.

THe actual draw weight of the bow has very little to do with how much noise it makes. If you are shooting the upper end of your bows range it will be the most quiet. So a 60lb max bow set at 60 lbs will be a ton more quiet than a 70 lb bow set at 60 lbs. Arrow weight is the other huge aspect. The heavier the arrow, the more quiet it will be. IF you get caught up shooting a very light arrow, it creates more vibration, and more noise.

I agree that more people are getting caught up in fast bows(myself one of them) but knowing your distance and putting the pin on the right spot is far more important than how fast your arrow is getting there.

If it matters, I shoot 57 lbs

I agree with sticking with 60 lbs. Plenty for any animal you will ever hunt. If you need more speed you can probably get by with a bit lighter arrow, but that will definately be a bit louder.

As for the weight, I have several friends who shot a heavy bow when younger who now have shoulder problems as we are older. You may no believe it, but you will be old one day and wish you had a little more moderation when you were younger.

Just my thoughts...

I personaly go for the best of both worlds. I shoot a 70# set at 63#. I dont have any problem pulling it back even in real cold weather with all the clothes that go along with the conditions. I also shoot a bit heavier arrow and head. this helps keep the K energy up. The bow shoots at 300fps. IMO "speed kills". Flat shooting, quick to target, and the ability to shoot a heavyer arrow all make more lbs better.

HOOT

Hi everyone..

Just an observation here...

seems we start to over-analyze situations in some instances, and IMHO, this would be one of them. With the onset of technology in the modern equipment out there, most are designed for dampening vibration. with the speed and accuracy of these set-ups today, a deer has very little chance of being able to "jump a string" from the average distance of 17 yards.

We should all be shooting a rig that is comfortable in the hand and holding at full draw. Put a couple of vibration dampening add-ons (limbs and string), shoot well and shoot often, go hunting and enjoy...

Steve

I have heard heard that the faster the bow is the louder it would be.

Just like swinging a rope round n' round. The faster it spins, the louder it is.

However, unless the deer is "on alert" the bow sound shouldn't matter much at today's speeds. If you grunt or whisle, aim for the heart (low).

Dietz and Harvey are spot on with their comments. I firmly believe you're much better off being quiet than fast (obviously, both is best). However, you're shooting plenty fast to kill plenty of deer. Also, given your draw weight and length, I'm guessing you're shooting a pretty heavy arrow. I'd suggest you don't change that. That translates to a quieter shot and more kinetic engery- both great things. Finally, like Dietz suggested, you're much better off shooting a 60 lb. bow maxed out than you are shooting a 70 lb. bow backed off a ways.

My suggestion would be this- if you'r bow is nice and quiet, you're shooting at almost 250 fps, and you can hit where you aim... don't change a thing!

VMS is wise, follow that and you will kill deer. Not to mention Dietz and the others too. To put into perspective, recurves only go about 170-80 fps, its the weight of the arrow that does the work, and equally important is a good cut on contact b.h. those two factors cause many deer to drop on a regular basis. stick with a bow you feel comfortable with and shoot well, just remember a 70lb bow might be awefully hard to pull with the biggun sitting in front of you, 50-60lbs would be much easier. wink.gif