• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse near Finland, MN

It's going to be a homecoming of sorts for me this weekend! Finally coming up to the northshore to spend a weekend in the woods. My parents bought some land just south of Finland, off of HWY 1.

Are there many areas near there that would be good for grouse. I have never hunted the NE part of MN before for grouse. Any help would be appreciated guys....thanks!

Can't wait to get up there!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Brandon, thats a nice area up there. Lots of State land, Forest roads and trails to get you into grouse country. You'll have plenty of lakes to explore also. Yes your in a good are for Ruffed Grouse and even some Spruce Grouse mixed in.

Take a look at USGS maps all along Hwy 1 and around Isabella.

Sweet country! You should also pick up a Superior National Forest map from any forest service office. Less than $10 and all the forest roads and most of the trails are marked, as well as which land is private and which is public, which as a hunter you'd want to know.

Years ago, used to spend a lot of time walking logging roads between McDougal Lake and Isabella. Lots of stuff along the Stony River.

Thanks, Ken, that reminded me of the old railroad grades that have been turned into narrow gravel roads that crisscross Hwy. 1 between Isabella and Finland. I used to hike those a lot when I lived in Duluth, and some are pretty grousy.

Wow- Great news, I'm looking forward to getting up there!

Thanks Frank, Ken and Steve for the information. Since I won't be getting up that way until late Friday, how would I go about getting a USGS maps or the information Steve talked about.

This time of year the USFS offices should be open on Saturday morning, but I have been doing some research with maps online and found a site that gives a decent map, but because of the web address, the filter wont let me post it.

Shoot me an email at nateatgrandsuperiordotcom and I can forward it to you. It's not the greatest, but it does show some roads and the forest around Finland.

If you're hungry on the way up the shore stop in and see Cheffery, illtakewhaticanget, rodngun and myself at the lodge. Hope this helps a little.

That was quick. I just sent you a note and realized what lodge you were at....dah Captain ooo.gifsmile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have Terrain Navigator by Map Tech.

You can also use their free on-line maps.