• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A local caught a 34 1/2 inch 13lb 12oz walleye in Sag a few days ago. This has been confirmed by several people, including the local C.O. And by some who saw the fish, measured and weighed it. It was weighed at Bucks Hardware about 4 hours after it was caught. If anyone is interested I'll post info on depth and presentation. (Just as soon as I get back from Sag on Thursday) smirk.gif

Gunflint we will hopefully have plenty of pics after our 2 days of jigamania.

Man I hope to get a small one. Only 33"er. tongue.gif

Deathroe Ill post some pics of the pigs we get when I get back on Friday.

Awesome! Congratulations to the lucky angler, that surely is the fish of a lifetime!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats a beaut! Yes pictures and a story.

Well guys 1st off a HUGE THANKS to Gunflint for taking a Sag rookie out, I had a blast on Sag! We didnt catch a lot but its beautiful up there. What a lake. Tuff to fish but a nice lake. Did manage to get my 1st Sag walleye and we caught some bass and pike. Missed a few nicer fish but due to wind we had a hard time fishing some areas of the lake.

Yesterday was a wash due to wind on Sag so we hit another lake Gunflint knows well and we caght a bunch of eyes, pike and a miracle fish that I will let Mark tel you about. Mark that was a nice fish!

I hope to get back up there to fish Sag again soon.

There sure was a BUZZ in Grand Marais about the big walleye. From what I heard it sure seems to be true. I think Bucks had pictures but not sure. I know Gunflint is trying to get a hold of one but he is 45 minutes up the trail from Grand Marais.

Hey North, sounds like you had fun up on big sag. Now you know why it's my all-time favorite place. How about a little info? Did you fish both the U.S. and Canadian side? What type of structure where you targeting? What type of fishing where you doing? Bait? Thanks. Junky....

American side. 32-50' of water with jigs and big minnows. No hot colors. Jigs in 3/8-1/2 because of the depth and wind. We didnt catch but 1 eye so my report wont help anything.

Northlander must be talking about this "extremely rare" Black and White Spotted Walleye. At least that's what I thought it was, having never seen a fish of this species in this lake before. Not being a local, the photographer tried to convince me that it was a Crappie.

crappiesk1.jpg

Boat control being essential for Sag walleyes, particularly on mid-lake humps, we came up short due to wind and an inadequate boat.

I was talking to a DNR/Fisheries guy today about Sag and for those of you that are interested he said it's his belief that the big walleyes are still out there. The lack of eaters has to do with low water levels in relation to unsuccessful spawning in the past several years. He also said that it's public knowledge that when they used to do netting surveys on Sag, he personally held a 20 pounder and that theres more in there.

Steve, he also said that the reason that they don't stock Crappies on the Trail is that the average lake temp up here makes it very difficult for successful spawning. However, there are some Crappies in Aspen and Poplar lakes and 14 inches is an expected size. smile.gif

For anyone who gets the opportunity to fish with Northlander you will come away with an education in Walleye fishing. Also, he makes a great wind and rain screen for a tiller but he can be hard to see around.

Man that pic turned out real nice and will go good on the Resort website Mark. Crappies on 5" sucker minnows and 3/8th oz. jigs, who would have thunk. confused.gif

Anyone who wants a beautiful location, great facilities and the chance at seeing moose, fox and pet northerns should get a hold of Gunflint and get out fishing with him. Make sure you dont buy any of the "Old Guide" theories though. wink.gif

Thanks again for everything Mark.

How big was the eye that you caught?

I wonder why the dnr doesnt stock some walleyes in sag when they know that the water is low and that the fish arent going to have very succesful reproduction?

I asked him about that. He said that they tried it but the only access they have is the narrows and when they dumped a million fry (or is it frie?)into the narrows the fry stayed in the narrows and ate them selves out of business.

I cant believe I forgot about the 3 moose that swam across the lake about 75 yards from us. A mama cow a yearling or so and a Bull all 3 came off a island by us and swam away. What a cool cool site to se for a city guy.

Im trying to remember the eye size but I think it was 15" or so.

Thats kind of strange that they would just stay in the narrows? So did they all die then, none figured out that they could swim out to the big lake? confused.gif. Those 15 inch walleyes are rare on sag arent they? wink.gif

Mark, I caught up with you and Northlander about 30 minutes after that picture of you and the crappie was taken. your hat was crooked and hair was every which way like it always is. So you try to clean up for the camera? Bet you wouldnt have thought about that if that was a 30+ walleye instead a crappie. Us that dont ice fish just dont get into crappies like those that fish the hard water do.

Junky ,Im with you. Just love being up at Sag. I ve had a tough time the last few years on Sag. in the fall for walleye though. Been 4 years since Ive had a reall good fall eye trip on Sag.Just got back, Sunday, from a 19 day camping trip in the grand Marais area. All the rain finally got to me or Id probably still be up there.

Anyone care to predict what water temps will be up that way in 11days.I know its a tough call with the cold blast were having but im headin up that way for the october moon phase and wondering if I should pack my ice auger smile.gif.Thanx

I haven't been out since Sunday but it was 56 then. I'll probably head out tomorrow evening.

Quote:

wondering if I should pack my ice auger
smile.gif
.Thanx

Might not be a bad idea with the temps were getting now wink.gif

When I was there on the 3rd it was 57. Ive had my better fall fishing after water temps dropped below 52. I would expect, the lakes in that area to be below 52 by that time. Bring some big minnows with ya and have fun. Wish I lived closer, Id be out there.

Temp on Burntside yesterday was about 53 surface, 52-53 degrees at 30+ feet.

I haven't been to Sag this week but the Mid-Trail lakes are about the same as Burntside 51 - 53.

• 2 weeks later...

Now Nortlander, theres no need to go Name callin', though this incident does bring to mind...the time I fought The Great White Whale...and Won...!

I was out in Superior on the Border, Once Again in a Violent Nor'easter...Paddling my Cedar Strip Canoe...working a 24", extra deep diving, Viking and Packer Husky Jerk...or was it a Shadrap...in a Gridiron Pattern, of course...

Nevermind the details, I was being tossed like Egg Salad, after a bad Bean and Chile Burrito...when all of a sudden...there he Blew, the Great One...and his name wasn't Jackie...

Brilliant as Snow he was, except for his deep blue Eye...yes he had lost the other to a Jealous Blind Harpoonist, a Cyclops, who now had 20 Vision...and he had that remaining Orb Fixated Directly upon me...

More spears than 100 Porcupines Quills, stood out from his great body...at first I thought it was my Mothers Pincushion, long lost and adrift from her terrible ordeal aboard the Titanic...til I realized that he was much bigger...than the illfated ship...

With one look, or maybe a stare, I realized the Evil Intention in his gaze, and knew it was Him...or Me...so being Confused, I Decided it would be Me...and I would be Him...that would be Propelling in to Mels Fish House, for a nice, Brown Sugar Cured, Smoked Salmon and Crackers Brunch, that very day...

But he would have none of it...and circled ever closer in a Menacing Spiral, til he created such a Vortextual Whirlpool...that the waves began to follow like the Wooden Soldiers, in Nutcracker Suite...

As I was drawn ever closer to the Jaws of Death, a Brilliant Idea came...maybe it was his...I threw the lure into his gaping jowl, and hooked him solid in the most sensitive part of the body...the Epiglottis...more formally known as...the Throwup Button...

Not wanting to Lose his hard earned and precious, Plankton and Kelp Lunch...that had been fed to him off the Pier by the Enox...and known to them as...Freshwater Granola and Blue Green Algae Seamix...he quickly Turned Tail away, and Proceeded Toward me...Just As I Had Planned...figuring if I was going to Davy Jones Locker, I was taking him along...for the Company...

It Was Then...as he got well within Spitting Distance, mine that is...that I noticed a Glyph...Permanently Inscribed...Burnt into his very Flesh and Blubber...by None...Other...Than...that Cruel and Unusual Captain...Ahab...Himself...

Upon deciphering the Name it Named, I immediately Blurted out, in the Highest Rasping Squeal, and the Most Respectful of Manners...Please Mister Please, don't be Mean to Meeeeeeee...and again after Speaking His Name...Pleeeaaassseeee...!!!

Upon hearing His Very Moniker, and my Most Earnest Plea, he Spat Forth the Lure, Thankfully Nothing More...

Then, Piping a Tune as he Blew his Spout...though it sounded much to be Popeye the Sailorman, 'twas surely in Truth his Infamous Anthem...Swam Languidly Away, upon the now Serene Waters...

And thereby, Have You Not Heard...and now Guessed Him to be...that Most Famous of Leviathans...the Magnificent...the Only...Moby Richard...??? wink.gif