• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone ever hunt a standing bean field?

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has ever hunted a bean field while they were still standing? A buddy of mine told me that he seen a ton of geese in a bean field that was standing the other day. And the farmer won't be cutting the beans that I hunt for another week or two. So I was wondering if it was worth a try or not?

Yes it's worth a try IF geese are landing in it and IF the landowner will allow it.

I hunted a standing bean field last year and shot duck and geese. One thing I would try to do is get the decoys as high as you can. Maybe pile a mound of dirt under them and then put the decoy on top of the pile. The birds will be able to see the body and heads from father away than if they were sitting on the flat ground, especially if they are tall beans. Good luck.

would that be considered a baited field or not? Iforget how it reads in the regs but i would check on that

I would assume it would be legal. I believe the law states something about natural farming.Which it is. I hunt the same field for deer. And I am pretty sure that, that is completely legal. Anyone know anything different?

Jimmy is the field around cottage grove? I am in Newport if you need/want some company

coming from a farming background,NO farmer in his right mind would wants you trapsing around in his beans knocking them to the ground and etc. make sure its alright wit the farmer od there could be serious problems

Actually my uncle owns the farm. And he is sick of farming so. A guy gives him a few hundred bucks a year to plant the fields. So he doesn't reallly have a choice. It's so cheap that it's a steal for the guy who farms it.

thats cool,I was kinda wonderin if it was something like that, but I've seen farmers come unglued before as hunters were walking through corn fields etc.pushin deer or birds.Good luck hopefully you'll get some shootin.....I've seen stranger things? grin.gif

Never tried the standing bean field. Yet we managed a few on the local pond in lake elmo. Six Green heads. One hen. Two Geese.

picture232em5.jpg