• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

thoughts on the game............

james_walleye

Finally we saw a gameplan that was a bit more wide open. Had we seen the vikings with this gameplan against bad Detroit and KC defenses the vikings would have been 3-0 heading into yesterday. They marched up and down the field between the 20's on one of the better defenses in the NFL. Unfortunately it took until the end of the game for the vikes too figure out that Sydney Rice is their best red zone weapon. Holcomb missed a lot of wide open guys. Not just on the deep balls but just not seeing open recievers. I was at the game and there were guys running free all over the field. But it just proves that if you run the ball like the vikes have done and if you make your mind up too run some 3 and 4 reciever sets and open things up that recievers will be open. I dont care who your recievers are if you run the ball this effectively, any NFL coaching staff should be able too call a game that gets recievers open. Yesterday i felt for the first time maybe ever that Childress put his offense in a position too succeed for the most part. I still dont understand why AP had 2 carries in the second half. But he put his QB in a position too make plays for once and Holcomb missed some easy opportunities. These recievers may be a bunch of very average players with 1 rookie showing much promise, but they showed yesterday against good corners that they can get open if given the opportunity. So now when Jackson comes back i hope they continue too run as many spread formations as yesterday so Jackson also has a chance too succeed. We will then know for sure if he is the future. I also think that spreading the defense out gave the line half a chance. For the most part they did alright. Mckinney got burnt again, but for the most part Holcomb had enough time and they opened up some huge holes for the backs. Peterson is an absolute stud and he needs too be on the field with Chester spelling him. AP needs at least 75% of the carries.

I won't go in too deep on the officials, but i hate too see bad blown calls taking TD's away from any team. Have we not heard that these officials are suppose too let a play like that funble play out and not blow it dead. They took a TD away from the vikes and because it was blown dead they couldnt even challenge it. If the play is let go than at least the packers could have challenged it the other way if they would have felt the need.

Sid Hartmann said, AP didn't play much the second half because he can't pass block. I went to the play by play and saw in the first half Taylor was in when Holcomb was sacked once and AP once. Second half was all taylor. U take out a running threat like AP, defence just has to go after the QB for a sack. Commom since Mr Hartmann. Hartmann should retire.

One of the anouncers made a good point. If they would just give the ball to AP every play then they wouldn't have to worry about his pass blocking grin.gif

With the exception of a few dandy runs, and a real nice looking TD catch, this may be the most boring offense in the history of the NFL.

Defense looks pretty good still. Nice job stuffing the interior run, and really, how does a team stop Favre????? Ya don't, all they can try to do is slow him down.

I noticed one little thing that Favre does that i think the MN QB's could take notice of and use. Have you noticed when he runs the stretch run play too the outside the exagerated amount of time he holds that ball out before handing if off. Well he does the same thing in play action pass and that great bit of deception really holds the defense for a second, especially the linebackers. It really opens up the TE and the deep cross in the middle. I'd like the see the MN QB's give a bit better play action fake the way the team is running the ball. I think that split second of indecision that could be created would greatly benefit the recievers in getting open across the middle. It doesnt sound like much but man it would just make it a little easier too find open recievers.

Ok well it wasnt until 5:00 to go in the game that the vikings were down by more than 1 score. Even if you wanted too use that excuse, what about the other 25:00 that they were at least within a TD?? Sid is such an apologist.

I think the team is close to being good, we lost 3 games by 1 score, and everyone of the games we had some bad ref calls against us. We were in everyone of the 3 losses. I think a little qb expierence, a different head coach confused.gif, we would be 4-0. The defense is good enough to keep the scores under 20 pts, we dont need a high powerd offense, just a few notches better then we have now. It may not be exciting to watch, but the games have all been in reach at the end!

Quote:

some bad ref calls against us

Yeah, there were a few. A blatant face mask was missed. A fumble that would have been returned for a TD but was instead ruled an incomplete pass. And lets not forget the non-called pass interference on the tipped ball that GB intercepted at the end of the game. The GB corner should at least buy our WR a drink before he rides him that hard.

Anyone notice the lack of replays when the refs totally blow a call. I think the NFL has said from above for TV coverage not to point out how bad the refs are. (think Tim Don... the NBA ref)

Quote:

Finally we saw a gameplan that was a bit more wide open. Had we seen the vikings with this gameplan against bad Detroit and KC defenses the vikings would have been 3-0 heading into yesterday.

I love the never ending optismism of the viking fan. Oh yea, and when you lose it's always the referees fault, cant' possibly be an offense that has scored like one touchdown in 25 possessions.

Quote:

Quote:

Finally we saw a gameplan that was a bit more wide open. Had we seen the vikings with this gameplan against bad Detroit and KC defenses the vikings would have been 3-0 heading into yesterday.

I love the never ending optismism of the viking fan. Oh yea, and when you lose it's always the referees fault, cant' possibly be an offense that has scored like one touchdown in 25 possessions.

Thats what a fan does, they stick with their team whether good or bad, the packers wouldnt have won if it wasnt for the refs! I dont think anyone on here is stating the offense is good, just that the refs have had bad calls against the vikings the last 3 weeks, when the game was on the line, with an end result of either the other team scoring and shouldnt have to win the game, or taking points away from the Vikings to not win. It has happend on all 3 losses!

How does it make you feel that your great packers only won against such a bad MN Vikings team, just because of a bad call by the refs! grin.gif

The guy only had one foot down when the ball got popped loose. How is that a bad call?

Oh yea, and four out of last five at the humpty dump, I'm feeling pretty good.

Quote:

Quote:

Well how else would we lose if it wasn't for the refs????????

The Pack won and are the better team but I have one question for the Pack fans.

If we are so pathetic, and I believe we are, why did you barely get out of there with a victory. Each questionable key call went your way, (I am not saying they were wrong calls but they could have gone the other way very easily), we have no pass defense, no passing game and our coach kept our best player on the bench in the 2nd half. In addition, you have played teams with a total record of 5-11 and you have no running game whatsoever.

You can't ask for more than 4-0 but do you really think you have proven anything yet. An average team could be 4-0 with the schedule you have played. Are you legit?

PS...It is nice to have some Packer fans to banter with again. They kind of disapeared the last couple of years. A little neighborhood superiority will bring out all the smart guys, huh....

He doesnt have too have 2 feet down. They changed that rule years ago. He has too make a football move. He caught the ball, turned upfield, and got almost 2 full steps in. Thats more than making a football move. The call took a TD off the board and was an obvious horrible call. We have heard time and time again how refs are suppose too let a play this this play out. If you call it dead, the vikings cant challenge. If its let go, at least the packers have the right too challenge the play if they feel the need. Yet after hearing it time and time again this play was blown dead and that is what adds too the bogus nature of the call. And you also obviously havent seen a viking game until this one. If you had seen one you would have seen the difference in play calling. And dang right im glad too see it. You can't complete plays downfield if you run 3 yard routes all game when its 3rd and 7. If the vikings would have called the same game that they did against the lions we would have had about 40 total yards in offense against the pack. Speaking of which if you think this offense of the vikings is so horrible then the confidence in your defense must be in the toilet the way this viking team moved the ball up and down the field. This viking team and last years is about as bad as any viking team ever so i wouldnt be pumping out your chest too big about eaking out the last 3 games. The combined record of the 4 teams the packers have beat is 4-12.

HE DOES'T HAVE TO MAKE A FOOTBALL MOVE this year. That's the rule change. He only needs to establish possession which he clearly did. He clearly caught the ball had both feet down and took a step. AND THEN BAM!!!!!!!! God what an awful call. It just makes me sick with the awful calls the refs have been making. And yes you packers fans got it good this year but you still barely made it out against a sub par Vikings team. See ya Nov.11th.

Well its even a worse call than I even thought. If the question is just de he establish possession? Wow, how can an NFL official blow that. Thats awful.

The sad part is not only did that bad call take away 7 points from the Vikings, but the packers scored a touchdown on that drive. The way I look at it, thats a 14 pt turn around. Vikings would have won!

The BAd call's surely didn't help matters....

I got news for the Lambeau game....Randy Moss ain't walking through the Tunnel into cheesville that day....that one's gonna be a blowout my friends.... wink.gif

I gotta agree with Pier. That game in Cheddarland may get ugly for our purple. Lets hope that weather goes completely to &%^$ and it is absolutely miserable to throw in. The wet and sloppy day with a wet and sloppy ball may be our only chance in that game as a running team will usually have the advantage.

Vikings defense and the running game will keep it closer than you think just as it did sunday. Will they win? The vikings absolutely should not. And really, it shouldnt be a close game, but it will be. Maybe when Sydney Rice gets loose in that game the plays will be made. Wouldnt that make things interesting?

I'm having a hard time seeing how the vikes got so hosed on calls in their own building. If I remember the Pack got a TD called back by a touchy-feely pass interference call also. (Which in my opinion those kinds of calls are total bunk, no matter which way they go. It's football for goodness sake.).

I don't think it's the Pack's fault that their opponents are 5-11 or whatever. Three of the teams were in the playoffs last year. It probably doesn't help that there are 4 losses in that column attributed from the Pack winning. Those teams may have played a tough schedule to start, I'm too lazy to look it up.

In any case I'm real happy with the Pack's start. I don't think they are top tier team, but they battle and the bounces are coming their way. I like our chances to get a shot in the post-season. That's all you can ask for as a fan.

From watching the Vikes game, you should be very happy about the play of AP. He is and will be a stud for awhile. Every time he touches the ball, something big could happen. I don't think it's a smart move letting him return kicks though.

BTW Pier Favre has a winning recore vs the Vikes. He does have a losing one in the dome though, and has played 1 more dome game than at Lambeau. In regular season games he'll never have more home than away game vs Vikes, because they had already played the Vikes at Lambeau that year with Majik being the starter.

The NFL wants Favre to have a great year and will do all they can to make it happen. Watch for his team to get many "calls" to go their way.

Quote:

I don't think it's the Pack's fault that their opponents are 5-11 or whatever.

I don't disagree, but until these former playoff teams show they are something or the Pack beat someone who is, I will have to go with the immortal Denny Green's words.

I you want to crown 'em, than crown thier a$$, but they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook. grin.gif

Nolte thats a pretty good veiw of things and I would agree with what your saying for the most part.

I may wrong be but I thought Farve was 2 games under 500 against the queens in his career going into this year.

My favorite Denny quote... grin.gif

Pier

He was 2 games under going into last year. He was 500 this year and is now 1 game over.

All time record regular season vs Vikes 16-14, home 10-4, away 6-10. Post season 0-1. Total 16-15.

Did you see that play? Knowing all a player has too do is have possession can you honestly sit here and say that play was even questionable? Knowing he caught the ball, turned upfield and got almost 2 full steps in? You can say that wasnt a horrible call???

At some point the queens will have to take matters into their own hands and stop waiting for all the calls to go their way.

Is that how you people plan on winning 2 or three games this year...by getting the calls.

A touchdown every 10th, heck every 20th offensive touch might be a nice start.

Not a Viking fan at all (Dolphins fan - but that's another story grin.gif)...Anyhow, I was at the game Sunday and had a few views on the Vikes. 1) QB play killed you. With the exception of throwing the long ball, Holcomb was very slow to make up his mind and get rid of the ball. He was very indicisive. 2) Adrian Peterson is a STUD. That kid made some moves and cuts that were simply unbelievable. 3) Defense was good against the run, but struggled against the pass. Farve was on his game though, worked through his reads quick and didn't hold on to the ball. The D-line didn't seem to get a whole lot of pressure on him. 4) Agreed there were a few questionable calls...or non-calls. And lastly....If Childress does not get Peterson off the kick return team he should be shot. He's risking his franchise running back by using him on kickoff returns? (Contact Us Please). True he's a gamebreaker, but the risks of injury by participating on special teams far outweigh the benefit.

I have said in multiple posts that i dont blame the ref for blowing the game, that the vikings left way too many plays on the field and that is what cost them the game more than anything. I'm just simply stating it was very much indeed a horrible call and wasnt even questionable. I sat next too packer fans at the game that laughed at the replays saying that was horrible. Laughed as the viking faithful was up in arms. But yet packer fans on this board say it wasnt a bad call? I'm a viking fan saying it didnt cost the vikes the game, can I get just one packer fan too step and say, "yeah you know what it was a god-awful call and it took away a TD"??

Quote:

At some point the queens will have to take matters into their own hands and stop waiting for all the calls to go their way.

Is that how you people plan on winning 2 or three games this year...by getting the calls.

A touchdown every 10th, heck every 20th offensive touch might be a nice start.

Everything you say is true, but it would be nice if someone makes a great hit to jar the ball loose with the game on the line he should be rewarded for it. The Packers won the game and are the better team. I won't debate that, but if I was a Packer fan, I would be asking myself, "How are we ever going to win in the playoffs if we almost lost to a team that only scores a offensive TD every other game?"