• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ready for coyotes

picksbigwagon

okay, after shooting black hills 50 grain vmax for two years, I decided to move on to Hornady 55 gr. Vmax. these aren't cheap rounds but here is what my coyote set up did yesterday morning (yes it was really windy so I didn't mess with side to side adjustments only verticle adjustments)

I also tried my 17hmr at 100 yds for the first time. I have settled on the hornday 20gr. XTP rounds.

100 yd target (17 hmr was middle bullseye, .223 was aimed where the furthest two shots to the right hit, the other 4 were shot during a really good gust of wind, notice very little verticle drift grin.gif)

100yd20gr.17hmr.jpg

200 yard target (only had 4 Hornady 55 grainers left aiming point was the middle bullseye)

200yd.jpg

and the main coyote rig (olympic arms K8 with burris 3-9x40 fullfield II)

100_0479.jpg

and the 17HMR(savage 93b with P.O.S. simmons scope)

100_2375-1.jpg

How do you like your flattop AR? Ive been looking at some from DPMS and Rock River, it must be great for follow up shots and when multiples come in.

I wish my rings were a tad higher, I will someday get a one piece scope mount, but I am okay with my current set up.....Don't over look Olympic, for what you pay for a DPMS or RRA, you can get an olympic and glass for the top.......Olympic makes most of their own components and barrels.

I've to get into this and argue with Tom, ehm Picks.

I have 2 DPMS and cannot be any happier, in fact saturday I went to Luck, WI where a friend of mine had a "shooting gather", I sighted mine at 200yard and we put eggs on a hill at 230 yds. With my gun was just a matter to aim and shoot, an egg was gone. Everybody took turns to try it and were surprised. There was a Bushmaster Varminter guy and wasn't to happy with his gun, in fact he was going to sell it.

Tom, I agree with you the VMax are the best, I have 2 clips with them for accurate shooting and the rest cheaper ammo for plinking and fun.

I agree valv, vmax are the way to go, but bushmaster is way over rated. I have heard a lot of good things about DPMS, in fact if I was to do it all over, I would have gotten one of their .308's, but I think price wise, Olympic still has DPMS beat, not by a lot. BOTH are high quality.......

2 of them? what did you trade away for the 2nd one grin.gif?

Sounds like a blast!! We use old billiard balls at our

shoots. My 22-250 turns them into colored dust

clouds..

I just bought the 2 halves when I found good deals, the second one it's just a regular 20" chrome barrel flattop with removable sights, I wanted it for playing. I am contemplating an holo sight but they are not cheap.....I will keep looking for the right deal.

Don't put down your Simmons too much, I have one on my Savage .243 and I'm very happy, not as clear as the Bushnell but not a bad scope.

I use higher power then you and larger lenses since I like to hunt nights and low light.

Looking at your gun I forgot to say I changed my upper to a 24", I like it much better and it's even a tad quieter.

Cool, I think my wife would consider dis owning me if I came home with another AR. On a side note, My nephew is playing Montgomery-lonsdale tonight in JV football, where is the high school, or at least the football field located.

We'll have to hook up again this winter to try and nail some coyotes Val.

Take care

Oh yeah, Pool balls? that would be awesome, wonder what I can find on ebay..........

Football field is on Hwy 13 NW of Montgomery, you'll drive right into it from New Prague.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Picks,

I just called in and shot my first yote and was wondering how you post pics, or could I email it to you and have you post it. Thanks for the help.

Picks,

I'm ready too! Well out 100 yards anyway! Your gun looks just like my new Dtech!

Here's the best group I have shot so far.

AR15targets001.jpg

I need to get it to the range in a couple of weeks to see where its at at 200 and 300 yards. The builder told me at 2 inches high at 100 yards, it should be dead on at 200 and 6 inches low at 300. I'll be finding out in a few weeks, maybe even this weekend.

That's funny, I bought mine from Dtech as well, all he did to mine was a little trigger work, otherwise it is stock K8.

Yes email the pictures to me pick52 at yahoo and I will post them for ya....

I am getting that itch to head out calling, that is for sure. something about a 35 degree temperature swing to get me ready for deer season and coyote season

I too am ready. Am working up some loads with my new .222 Rem. My first day of shooting got me some 2" 10 shot groups at 100 yds. Will try a few more. I am shooting the Nosler 50 gr Balistic tips My try some of those hornady ST too. Good shooting!

Here is Miller Time's first coyote for the season. (Nice looking one at that grin.gif)

yote2007.jpg

Nice looking set up, is that a FX3 or FX5? I just sent my Minaska M-1 Bandit back in for an update. so I will be out with a hand call on saturday morning while I am scouting and tree rat hunting.....

Man the fur looks pretty decent on that dog, maybe I cant wait any longer and will also be in the field looking for the song dogs.

Hey Miller, thats not the tame coyote you had hanging around your yard? hee heeee Just kidding better take me hunting pretty soon! I NEED TO GET ONE OF THOSE!!!!

Get your gun ready and we should be out the next couple of weeks before the deer hunters roam the woods to bad.